Register now to get rid of these ads!

Royal Bank of Canada Money Order Fraud Thief Alert

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olddaddy, Oct 21, 2011.

1. olddaddy

olddaddy

I sold a disc brake kit last month for a 55 Dodge car to a Canadian Fellow named Tom Silex (probably an alias) whose address was reported to me as 11175 Pretty Rd, Winfield, BC Canada. He even gave me a phone number that later turned out to be the Arrowleaf Cellars Winery. He paid me $215 via a Royal Bank of Canada money order which I deposited in my local Florida account. Having always believed money orders to be as good as cash and generally liking Canadians I shipped his kit. When the money order was returned unpaid my bank deducted the funds from my account. By the time I received the letter and the rejected money order I was bouncing checks and bills left and right. I was charged hefty fees totaling another $130 over and above the original $215. I contacted RBC who politely and efficiently determined the money order was not one of theirs and wished me luck. They had no interest in the fact that a person was using their bank as part of a fraud transaction. So, lesson learned. As of today I will no longer accept any form or payment for any of my services other than Paypal, or Cash in US dollars. And if anyone offers to pay you with a Royal Bank of Canada money order I would recommend that you decline the offer. And if you see a 55 Dodge rolling around in BC Canada with disc brakes, he stole them from me.

Attached Files:

2. raidmagic

raidmagic

Well that sucks. I just hate a thief

3. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Thamks fot the heads up............

4. I was burned once a decade or more back by a money order that looked legit, after that I tell the buyer up front that I hold off on shipping until the money clears my bank no matter the payment type (unless its cash).

I think it qualifies for mail fraud, which I think is a Fed offense.

5. phat rat

phat rat

Paypal, U.S. Postal money order or cash

6. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Word to the wise. My mom was a clerk at the USPS in Dearborn Heights Mi and they got all kinds of fake ones from people trying to recover funds. The people that counterfit money orders are good. She took a bunch of classes to be able to tell which were real ones. The way it works if they take a fake they have to pay for it out of their own pocket. Well she had second thoughts on one and after the guy walked out she ran to stop him he got away but got the person's license plate number and they caught the guy at another post office in Dearborn and he had well over $100,000 of fake USPS money orders. No one could tell it was fake. When selling to someone you don't know wait the few days it takes to have the funds to clear PEOPLE. It's tough enough with the times we are in so protect yourself.

7. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Sorry for your loss, I really am. There are thieves everywhere. I have heard horror stories about Pay Pal as well.

8. ElBurro

ElBurro

Sorry that you got burned. I bought a few things for my 32 through the HAMB.
    Never had an issue with the seller. Money order always worked out well.
    I'm not getting that BC guy. It costs quite a bit of cash to make such an money
    order and then the costs for the snailmail and the custom fees.
    It's hard enough to get some stuff up north and an Idiot like this guy in BC makes us all look bad up here.

9. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

ANY, I said ANY Bank instrument can be cancelled, and faked of course... I also found out the hard way, I still take them all, BUT THE CLEAR BEFORE I ship anything...now the banking rules changed, about anything clears in 2 days...Sucks you learned the hard way....

10. hozem396

hozem396
    from ohio

As far as money orders are concerned, the Postal money orders can be tracked/traced and when such a scam occurs it then becomes the jurisdiction of the U.S. Postal Inspection Service (USPIS) who will investigate any such activity. At least you will have someone on your side to help you aside from "Sorry, good luck!".

11. 2935ford

2935ford

I prefer to make sure all forms of payments other than paypal or cash clear my bank before shipping.
    There are bad people everywhere!

12. pg409

pg409

I searched Canada411 for that name in BC.....no luck. I also reverse searched the address, but it does not appear to exist. Do you have a shipping
    address??? I am sure there are HAMB members in that area.....
    '55 plymouth you say ? mmmmmmmmm

13. olddaddy

olddaddy

The address on the Money Order is where I shipped to, and USPS confirmed delivery......and his car is a 55 Dodge, a Canadian Dodge which would have Plymouth tin on the front clip, but it's a Dodge underneath.

14. segajeep

segajeep

Another dick bishop giving us Canuckleheads a bad rap, no wonder Summit doesn't ship to Canada.

15. miller 35

miller 35

i lost over 3 grand on a fake pay-pal deal last year, miller 35

16. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

A Canadian Dodge would have a Dodge front clip and Plymouth from the cowl back.

Don't mean to correct you, just hope that this might help identify this lowlife.

17. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

I don't have P/P and use Postal m/o. when I sell something I send it out using the m/o to pay the postage. If the p/o accept it that good enough for me.

18. F&J

F&J

Here in my state, the banks can hold you responsible for any check for ONE YEAR.

My bank manager says that "checks don't clear". Quote:The only thing that the bank gets when they process that check, is a notification if it is bad, and that can take 1 to 3 weeks. end Quote.

Funny how wire funds or PP can be instantly drawn from your accout, but they drag their tails on paper transactions. It hurts the economy IMO.

US Postal MO's are good because your post office can verify it instantly.

19. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

I dont think you should be pointing the old fickle finger at just Canada on this one, these ass holes are using fake M.O. Postal M.O. Certified cheques fucked up Pay Pal, There are scammers everywhere, I always get to know my purchaser via e-mails and phone calls are cheap. If you dont get the right answers dont sell the item.

20. koolkemp

koolkemp

I only use an International Postal money order when paying for stuff from the US ,protects me and the seller of coarse this is after a HAMBer in the US screwed me out of over a hundred bucks...wont stop me though there are assholes everywhere!

21. ems customer service

ems customer service

there is counterfit cash too, deposit fake money at your bank and it comes out of your account and maybe the fed's will come by to look at rod.

22. olddaddy

olddaddy

I want to make it really clear that I'm not pointing a finger at anybody, except the low life DICK who took my parts and screwed me out of the money. I am not bashing Canadians or anybody else. Hell, everybody has a story of some other everybody who screwed them. I just want folks to know that this guy is out there and to watch how the get paid. Now if somebody finds him and he goes to jail, or loses his car or gets his ass whipped, that's ok by me too.....

23. ems customer service

ems customer service

are we allowed to post a address of a thief????

24. Cerberus

Cerberus

FYI, EBay considers your deposit on a grossly misrepresented car, when you are high bidder, to be "an intangible." Ask me how I know.
    Different case, I had my 60's muscle car on Craigs List recently for sale. Ebay called me to say I should advertise it with them. I asked the Ebay rep, does Ebay still consider the deposit on a car to be an intangible? He replied, " yes". At which time, I told him to never call me again.
    Sorry about your loss.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  25. screwball

screwball

I have an idea from now on before any one sells ask the buyer to email a pic of there car and if shit hits the fan you could post that.

26. cadillac dave

cadillac dave

I am sorry to hear of you getting taken , INTERNATIONAL POST OFFICE MONEY ORDERS IN U.S. DOLLARS ARE SAFE ALSO . good luck Cadillac Dave

27. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

11175 pretty rd winfield, BC is what is on the MO According to Google maps there is a residence there.

But if you look closely at the MP the street number font is not the same as the rest of the type making out the Draft.

28. bct

bct

i live just up the road... pm if i can help.

29. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

I will only accept paypal, U.S. Postal money orders and cash. Even with U.S. postal orders I take them to the post office and ask them to check and see if it good before they give me the money.

I also will do a google search and see if the person lives at the address that he gives. I will not ship to B.P boxes.

And for out of country I will take money orders but I do not ship until it clears my bank and the bank it was written by.

30. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

So is the dollor amount. If you look at the date it matches the rest of the font.

I bit the money order was for less and that someone that lives close by that address had it made out and will be looking for the package to arrive and either intercept it are knocks on the door and ask for the package" because it was shipped to the wrong address".