Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects How do I start my engine w/out complete wiring?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldfart, Oct 18, 2011.

1. I want to make sure that the 6 cylinder engine in my sedan delivery is a good engine before I go any further.
    What do I need to hook up to start it besides fuel?

2. real easy, hook a wire to the + of the coil then to the battery, but make it easy to pull off the battery so u can stop the motor from running, make sure the distributor is hooked up to the coil, run a starter cable to the starter, then just jump the big terminal to the little terminal on the starter with a screw driver and she will run... or if the starter doesnt have a solenoid then run the battery wire to a solenoid then to the starter, then jump the big post on the solenoid to the little one and shell fire up :)

3. if ya don't have the distributor hooked up, if its points make sure there's a condenser in the distributor, if not make sure there is one near it hooked up to the wire coming out, then hook that wire to the - side of the coil... that's all ya need, fuel air and spark

4. ground the battery to the engine

5. I'm going to try this today..If it doesnt start or has funny noises..I'm either gonna sell or trade the car..I have a 327 that came w/the car but I cannot go through an engine replacement again..I just dont have it in me.

6. how long has it been since it was run last? you may want to change the oil and prime the oil pump, or at least pull the valve cover off and pour oil all over the valve train.

7. Joey7319

Joey7319

After all you went through to get that car, You should keep it. lol