Register now to get rid of these ads!

Alex gambino has a big heart

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56 Frame Dragger, Oct 19, 2011.

1. 56 Frame Dragger

56 Frame Dragger

My air ride on my 56 was very out dated and was starting to give me lots of trouble so Alex put in a whole new set up and it kicks ass, but thats not why I'm writing this. When my sister dropped my off to pick up my car my two little nephews wanted to check out the cars in the shop so bad so I asked Alex if it would be ok. Not only did he say yes but he took the time to give them a personal tour, my nephews jaws were on the floor when they walked into his shop. After the tour Alex gave each of my nephews a autographed magazine my sister said they could stop talking about all the cars all night. I got the chance to get to know Alex and his crew while they have been working on my 56 and let me tell you they are all a bunch of real nice guys, but I sat and talked with Alex and man he's a very giving guy he has a BIG HEART if you don't know him I would say if you ever see him at a car show at one of his booths stop in and say hello, he's a down to earth guy.
    ONCE AGAIN THANK YOU ALEX
    Ronnie

2. Fatbob309

Fatbob309

Love post like this. I still remember guys, long gone from this world, showing me around their shops and car collections when I kid some 30 years ago. thumbs up to Alex!

3. agreed, as a 48 yr old now, I look back and it made one hell of an impact on me. Some of those personal tours of various shops shaped my whole future.
    kudos Alex for taking the time, it does make a difference.

4. Way cool or Alex!

5. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Alex is good people.

6. Simple.

Simple.
    from Troy, MI

That's awesome! That left a big impact on those kids, and one day they will be here showing off their car builds! Too cool.

Alex helped me alot when I got everything for my 53 Chevy. I always talked to him personally, and he spent 20-30 min of his busy day to talk to me on the phone and answer all of my questions.

- Jon

7. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

yup, the bigger they are, the nicer they are as a general rule. We were in Garlits museum prior to grand opening as they were open to the public and we were in FL taking kids to the mouse. Anyway we were only people in the exhibit hall and Don came across the floor, stopped, chatted with us, let me get my picture with him, etc. Just as friendly as I first met him in the 60s at the drags.
    In the 80s my louver partner and I were in CA for the Pomona swapmeet. Decided to go to Barris's place but it was closed. We stopped at Dean Jeffries and were videotaping the exterior from the sidewalk through the metal fence. Next thing we know a guy comes out and says "Dean says to come in". Had a great time, toured his shop, chewed the fat about his cars. Got to see the GT-40 roadster, the pearl '34 sedan, etc. Pretty cool time for two "big kids" from New Hampshire.

8. Yep, gotta start the young ones right and what a treat those kids got! One of the royalty taking time to spend a few minutes in thier busy schedule is awesome, way to go!

9. That's what it's all about! Taking the time out for kids is definitely good Karma...way to go Alex

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

well known people, like Alex, are not so full of themselves that they can not talk to you. like Gene Winfield, who will do some teaching at Alex's shop in Dec. when I was a young guy that used to build models cars I had some neighbors that built low buck Hot Rods. They would let me watch them work and take me for a ride once in a while. helped me form into the car nut I am today. can't wait for daylight to get back to my '51 Ford project. have been to Alex's shop and have bought parts from him - definitely a talented good guy.

11. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

Thats really AWESOME!!! I briefly said hi to him at the motorama and he was really kind and asked about his class. well i signed up the following tuesday when he got back to the shop.

12. SoCal Merc

SoCal Merc
    from SoCal

I ordered some parts from Gambino's that were shipped directly from the manufactor to me. Alex called me to make sure everything arrived and I was happy with the parts.

13. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

Alex did the same thing for me and I am an adult. We stopped by his shop on the way to a hockey game one night and he took us on the grand tour. He showed us all the projects and what was getting worked on.

I felt like one of your nephews, I was talking about cars all night (I usually do anyway but.....).

14. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had a similar experience with Bo Huff about 10 years ago. We were on our way to Bonneville and hooked up with a friend in Utah who took us by Bo's shop. He spent the whole afternoon with us, showing us around his shop and storage areas, talking customs and hot rods. Then he drove up to Bonneville the next day and spent it with us. What a great guy.

15. cederholm

cederholm

I hear nothing but great things about Alex, sorry I missed him at the last NYC Rumblers show. Bet those kids are hooked for life, well done!

16. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Alex is definetely one of the best there is. Had some really nice, but way too brief, conversations with him in Salina this year.

He's a true gentleman, and an excellent builder.

Jonnie King www.legends.thewwbc.net

17. 56 Frame Dragger

56 Frame Dragger

I just wanted to show you guys my nephews so you can put there faces onto the story. The one in the my car has made me swear to him and I had to make a will that I would not sell or trade my car it is to be his when I die. Now the littler one when we go to car shows will show me cars and tell me to buy one like that so he can have a car too when I die. I think these guys will love more dead then alive, ha/ha

Attached Files:

18. fbama73

fbama73

I've never met Alex, but I've heard enough about him that this does not surprise me a bit.

Nice work, Alex.

19. billys54

billys54

20. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

WOW
    thanxs

ronnie ya gota startem young!!!!
    bring them back any time :D
    ill never forget my first car show its still stuck in my mind along with frenched antenas

21. mace69

mace69
    from mass

Never met the man ,but he is definitely a class act.

22. brad2v

brad2v

A pal and I made a visit to Alex's place in July. We came out feeling like your nephews did. Nice story, and a damn nice guy.

23. 56 Frame Dragger

56 Frame Dragger

My sister sent over a couple of photos thought I'd share them. She called me today said my nephews can't stop talking about there tour at Alex's shop. I'M THE COOLEST UNCLE EVER..... THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN ALEX :)
    Ronnie

Attached Files:

• 276.jpg
      276.jpg
      File size:
      480.1 KB
      Views:
    • 277.jpg
      277.jpg
      File size:
      466.3 KB
      Views:
    • 278.jpg
      278.jpg
      File size:
      437 KB
      Views:
  24. 56 Frame Dragger

56 Frame Dragger

25. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

ACME says "Vote for Gambino". He and his wife are salt of the earth, solid people. Happy to call him a friend.

26. Man I wish I was closer, I would love for you to bag my 36!!!

27. fifTsix

fifTsix
    from TEXAS

28. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

What a great guy, always wanted to get up north and check out his shop!