Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bot top: is this a joke?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by adventurer, Oct 10, 2011.

1. sickytwisted

sickytwisted

The seams leak!?!? WTF!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  2. erlomd

erlomd

Im sorry to hear about your faulty product, thats happened to me a couple of times and i know how frustrating it can be. the guys here are right on the money with the tips mentioned on how to easily repair it. and as mentioned earlier, if these quick fixes dont help, I think your best bet is to take it to a local apulstry shop and have a weather tested done made. its the only thing I can think of.
    good luck and thats a real nice roadster you have there BTW!

3. jadecraft19

jadecraft19

I was helping a friend build up his own car and we worked day and night. But by the end of it, we ended up with a seriously messed up car. We had no one to blame, that’s the exact feeling I am having reading your post. I know with one can get really frustrated if things don’t work out the way you thought it would.

4. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

Sid is a HAMBER - hotrodstitcher. I don't know him well, but have talked with him a couple times and I've always heard he's a standup guy. You should give him a call - (chances are good he'll be the one who answers the phone) - explain the problem and see what he has to say...408 980-9081.

5. I don't think that price is the issue here. Someone has tried to make it an issue and I may have even mentioned it myself. I am surprised that if Sid is a HAMBer he hasn't chimed in here. Maybe he is already working on the problem and it doesn't need our approval.

6. chuckbob

chuckbob

Try using a seam sealer that is used for tents and raingear. I have used this before on tents and it was A OK. Seamsure 2 oz bottle by Liberty Mountain.

7. Hotrodstitcher

Hotrodstitcher

Hi Guys, we've sold almost 3,000 Bop Tops over the last twelve years and we have had only two returned. My reputation in the Hot Rod world is way more important to me, than the cost of a top, which to set the record straight is $2495.00. That being said, I should have spent more time on my answer with the gentelmen in Italy. All the seams are sealed when the tops are made. They are made by a large top manufacturer in Denver, Co. The frames are built here in California, and the oak headers are made in Pennsylvaina. The top material is Haartz Stayfast which is a three ply canvas that is water proof. As someone stated in a previous post, if the seams are pulled to tight they could leak some, and I was offering a quick solution. This top was sold by one of my dealers at a dicounted price on ebay, so I'm not sure what the deal was or the price. I sould have said and am saying now, if your not happy with the top you can always return it. Also let me go on the record as saying these tops will not keep 100% of all water out, for one thing they do not touch the body in the rear and some water can blow in there. I am very proud of our top, and our service. If anyone has any problems or questions please call me 408 980 9081...Thanks...Sid

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
    hotrodtodd1960 likes this.
  8. adventurer

adventurer

Hi Sid,
    thank you for the reply. I am not complaining about price or manifacturing. Top is really beautiful and adds to the look of the car. I am not happy about the seal on the rear bow. I was completely soaked on my shoulders, and this got me really angry. I know that it's not sealing on the lower part, but that was not the problem. Could be too tight, but looking on the video it seems it's really tight. And your answer was not very nice, you have to admit.
    ANyway, will not return the top because it's really beautiful, will only need to find a way to seal the rear part of the top. All the products listed here are not avaible in Italy. ANd here its too cold to drive the car now, so will be addressing the problem this spring. WIll be at the GNRS this winter, so will be looking for some sealing compound when in the US.
    Anyway, thanks Sid for the top, it's really outstanding. WIll try to fond a good way of sealing out the rain

9. Hotrodstitcher

Hotrodstitcher

I will be at the GNRS also, I will bring you something to seal the top...Thanks...Sid

flatheadpete and hotrodtodd1960 like this.
  10. Sid
    If no one else says it I will thanks for clearing it up you are a stand up guy.

11. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I was trying to think of a way to say that this morning, but couldn't. Agreed.

-Dave

12. HotRodderDaughter

HotRodderDaughter
    from San Diego

I couldn't agree more! XO

13. VonWegener

VonWegener

Adventurer - Happich AG, The company that made the mercedes sonnenland cloth upholstery material also made a seam sealer. Look for Gebrueder Happich products in germany.
    The Haartz cloth that Sid uses is nearly identical to the Happich Sonnenland cloth.
    Mercedes tops had all their seams sealed because once the needle goes through the material there is simply a hole there. No big deal.

14. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Whats all the fuss about?----Sid has cleared it up!

Sid's relative DAN SHAVER did my top in 1996 here in Bend,Or.---He used nylon convertible material, no leaks in seams at all after 76,000 miles.
    In general,all roadster guys use tops for shade, but tops are sure a good thing when caught in the rain going cross country as I have 5 times now.:D:D:D:D

Attached Files:

15. adventurer

adventurer

absolutely! Sid, will meet yu at the GNRS. Thank you

16. hotrodchevy

hotrodchevy

Great looking car ,like the look of the top but you definatly got the hose test @3000.00

17. TubularGoose

TubularGoose

best quote ever. haha

18. Hot Rod Magnus

Hot Rod Magnus
    from Wa.

Adventurer, I have tried twice to send you the info on the 3w you got from Dan with no luck. Can you e-mail me your correct address so I can try again? Thanks, John Baker aka Hot Rod Magnus

19. f1 fred

f1 fred
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from mn

That is a damn nice car! Glad to see someone standing behind their work, nice job Sid!

20. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Read all the comments. Opinions?

21. alchemy

alchemy

Mike, you know better than to dig up a dozen year old post.

22. BJR

BJR

WD40. Water dispersant.

23. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I have a Bop-Top on my Deuce roadster and I don't have any leaks. I designed and built side curtains that work great (somebody stole my design and sells them on Sid's website, I wonder who)? I drove from the East Coast Nationals in York PA to Long Island for six hours in torrential rain with no leaks. Just be careful using any of the products mentioned, as they might look bad when they dry.

24. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

For selling 3000 tops up to 2011, you are bound to get a few not so perfect tops. It`s just a fact of life.