Register now to get rid of these ads!

My first 32 Chevy build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Carl5Coupe, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Thanks Chopper, I have friends in Phil and Delaware, I will have to to stop by some day and see ya.;)

Tomorrow night this bad boy should be running again tomorrow night. :D

2. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

3. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

Nice job :) Can't wait to see it finished.

4. oldman2

oldman2

Way to go.....Jim

5. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

Drive that coupe up here and we'll have a couple beers.

6. Nice job! .......keep goin!

7. michev

michev

8. Holy cow you are getting stuff done! Can't wait to go for a ride.

9. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Dog Patch
    SFCC ant the only ones who can do it their self. I have been busting my ass the past 3 weeks. I'm ready to ride with you guys, I hope to make the trip on the 8th. Thats a long haul for a car that is about 1/2 done. We will see. I will gab some ear plugs like you had to do. Debby wants me back after this weekend so things are going to slow down just a bit. ;)

10. jay7262

jay7262

@ Keep, you want the adjustable valve closest to the brake your dropping the pressure at, putting the residual valve closest to the master just keeps fluid from dropping away from the wheel cylinder when your master is lower than the wheel cylinders. ie floor mounted master.

11. jay7262

jay7262

You've come a long way, your Dad will have a ball, let him take her for a spin and you co-pilot!!! I see what your talking about with the upper hinge, I wouldn't remove it but maybe drop it down a couple of inches, just box a section in, weld a couple of nuts in the tube or duplicate the upper mount, just more fun. Great Job :)

12. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Fun Fun Fun after some of the work is done. :) It's like reaching the top. Even though the car isn't done it sure was fun to drive this weekend. Mom and Dad made it down Friday afternoon and we worked on the car till about 8pm when it was ready to roll again. I took some videos and pictures this weekend and here they are to share. I can tell you this that 31 Chevy's get a whole lot of thumbs up from on lookers, but I'm sure most of you know that since most of you have hot rods to but for me it's a first. Mom and Dad had a great time. The name Wee Willy was my dads nick name when he was younger back in Philadelphia so I named the car after him. (See picture below) Dad and the car were both born in 1931. That's cool man.

Thanks for all the support here at the HAMB. ;)

These are videos so click on them to get them to play.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a good video of mom
    Click below

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I still have a long way to go but I'm off to a good start. A new motor, wiring harness, finish the floor, 1x1 framing inside and body, body work and paint are all in order. All it takes is a time and a fist full of hundred dollar bills. Here we go on round 2.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  13. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

Carl, you're a lucky man, I'd give anything just to have my Mom and Dad still here. Being a Philly guy, you or your folks may remember a local TV show for kids that was hosted by a guy named Wee Willy Weber, I used to watch it after school. By the way, the car looks great!!!!!!

14. I see!! You got a better spot light! Good job getting all that work done man. Looks great and I know your Parents enjoyed the hell out of all that. That's what it's all about. My Dad enjoyed seeing your car too. Good day.

15. oldman2

oldman2

Carl, great job on getting it back together for the folks. My Dad was around when I did my 56 Chevy, saw the start of my 32 Chevy build, but passed before he saw it done. I would have given just about anything for him to have rode in it. Keep up the good work....Jim

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  16. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

First

Josh
    You dad is so cool man. I want to hang out next time he is in town. He had a lot of good things to say and I bet he is a blast to hang with. Buy the way, you do look like brothers. :)

Jim
    It hurts to here that your dad couldn't make the ride but I'm sure you had a few good words to say to him when you did take that first ride. He is still with you man! ;) Thanks for the good words and support with the build.

Thanks guys, that is what it was all about, making sure mom and dad got to ride in it. They thought it was so cool. Even mom was ready to roll. She wanted to take it home to NC but the heat wasn't hooked up. Maybe next time.

Now that the pressure is off it was fun tonight to just play with the car hooking up some break lights and installing some mirrors. I mounted the headlights Sunday so that will come next week after I get back from Tennessee on the VW run. Its called Circle Yer Wagons. Its a lot of fun and will be a good way to just chill but 1st I will spend the rest of the week getting the bus ready to roll Friday morning and the new Schwinn's will also have their place on the tag along trailer. I have a killer set up in mind. I may have to post a bit on that to.

Keep in touch

17. oldman2

oldman2

Carl, thanks for the kind words, enjoy you trip, catch you later....Jim

18. Way to go Carl! Really glad you made you goal of taking the folks for a ride. Effort well spent. Looking forward to following you down the road soon!

19. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Im Back
    I still working on the car every day so I do have some stuff to post but for now I have a video of the car running pretty dam good. ;)

Here is a video from tonight.

[​IMG]

20. oldman2

oldman2

Sounds damn good....Jim

21. Where are the pics of the floor? And the exhaust :D

22. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

Got what for brains? Sounds great!

23. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Dog_Patch
    Here are the floor pictures and what I did last weekend and this week. I dont have any pictures of the exhaust yet. The headlights and front grill are now installed.

[​IMG]

I spent last weekend installing support framing for the trunk and rear trunk wall behind the seats. It's all painted now not shown in the pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also installed the rest of the front floor pan. This went pretty good. While I was there I also fixed the clutch and break pedel angles, they were tilted to much for how low I sit in the car. Everything is now painted also.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The exhaust went great, I had a local shop install it and it turned out killer. I will post them later today or this weekend. I plan on making the wiring harnes this weekend. I picked up the 10 gauge wire today for the headlights and I have new VW bug wiring harness that I will be useing to get things started. We will see how it goes.

24. Carl. Are you on the hamb at work?

25. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

No :eek:, Im on break :cool:

26. Man nice work on the floor! That's motivating - I think you lost your sunglasses out my floor.

27. Looking real good Carl! Do you have any Pics of the inside of the deck lid and your hinges. What guage steel did you use on your floor?

28. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

I have some pictures I can send ya of the hinges but the deck lid is the wrong lid. I'm not sure where it came from but it sits on top of the rear of the car insted of down in it flush. I have some Pictures that Chopper sent me of his deck lid that I can send ya. His looks like a new one. sweet lid.

The floor is 16 gauge.

29. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Here are a few pictures of the exhaust. It is made of 2-1/2" pipe and some Flow Master mufflers. Sounds killer. The shop that installed it is known for doing show cars and complete custom exhausts on hot rods. No miss bends and everything is welded. They gave me a great deal also.

This is the 1st time up to now that I had to send the car out for work. I like to keep the labor in my garage but some things have to be done by the pros.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]