Register now to get rid of these ads!

floor column mounts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lowrodderchev, Oct 20, 2011.

1. anyone out there have any cool homemade lower column mount ideas? i bolted my stock 57 truck column to my camaro steering box but now i need some floor board support i was thinking of welding a couple of tabs to the column and bolted them directly to the floor board. or is that a bad idea

2. squirrel

squirrel

or you could weld a couple tabs to the floor, and clamp the column to them.

Or drill a column sized hole in a piece of sheet metal, and weld it to the column, so it seals to the floor all the way around. Or make a piece that screws to the floor and clamps to the column.

3. Or split ons die of a piece of pipe that just fits the colum. Weld it only on the onsplit side to a piece of plate that bolts to the floor. put some tabs fot bolts on the split side of the pipe. Bot it to the floor with the colum passing though it and then pinch it around the colum with the pich bolts. you can go as fancy or as plane as yoy like with it.

Or split a piece of exhaust pipe in half and weld it to a plate that bolts to the floor and then put an exhaust clamp around the colum and the tab on the plate.

4. heck yeah i like those ideas better then mine thanx guys

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    I used 2 of these exhaust hanger clips 180* apart. My toe boards were plywood. Throw away the rubber part and and bolt it to the floor board. I used a SS hose clamp. Not bulky at all. I wanted it to disappear and it almost does. I owned a muffler shop so it was a no brainer for me. It don't hurt that it is cheap too.:D

6. you spoke the magic word tommy CHEAP i never thought about the exhaust hanger think i have a few stashed somewhere

7. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

x2

Looks good, works great!

8. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Brilliant!! I think I'll use this method on my Essex. :)

9. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

I went to home depot and bought a riser clamp like the pic here.

I cut the flat pieces off and used the bent part to go around the column with holesso it can bolt both top and bottom like shown and then welded the flat part to the bottom of the clamp and drilled that to bolt to the floor

10. VooDoo Child 56

VooDoo Child 56
    from Jersey

The lower collum mount on my 56 Chevy. Muffer clamps with fuel line, and a piece of fuel in the bottom part of the clamps. This is in the mock-up stage, I still may weld the lower part of the clamps to the angle. The hose was kind of a bitch to work over "U" of the clamps, the whole thing will be painted black. There is a simular set up under the dash.
    [​IMG]

11. squirrel

squirrel

you get bonus points from me if you can make it look like you didn't buy your column mount at Home Despot

12. think i might combine a few ideas here to one. the sheetmetal so i can stop getting gas and exhaust fumes in the cab lol keep it seal up down there. again thanx everybody for your input

13. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

Here's one I just made for my F3
    [​IMG]