Register now to get rid of these ads!

help with headliner in NJ or PA

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1950Gasser, Oct 19, 2011.

1. 1950Gasser

1950Gasser
    from NJ

I had posted a few days ago to enlist ideas for a Headliner in the 1950 Chevy. I decided I'm going to run a reproduction headliner for several reasons, but mainly I enjoy learning new things. Is there anyone in the nj or pa area who would be willing to teach me and obviously I would pay for your time.

Might be a long shot but hay you never know.

Thanks!

Mark

2. Flinttim

Flinttim
    from Indiana

Push come to shove, you can get thru it by yourself. Do you have the old bows for the headliner ? Still in the car ? Got to have them and they should be numbered front to rear so as to not mix them up. Also remember, the windlace has to go in first. Not getting around that. Google "headliner install chevy" Now some of what you find, especially the E-How stuff is pure shit, so pass on it. But there is some real world stuff to be found.
    Also, all things else being equal, the cloth headliners are easier to install than vinyl and I would not even consider the perforated vinyl being sold today. It does not take heat well and you will need heat with vinyl at some point. Tim

3. fordor41

fordor41

My wife and I put a aftermarket cloth headliner in out '41 ford. Instructions were sketchy at best. Had the windows out. pulled the liner out the back window the stretch it. Windlace first, install liner/bows and started at the front with spray glue. pull and stretch tight, working to rear. part was glued, part was tacked and some was tucked in strips. after is done to your liking can wet and hair drier will shrink the material to remove any small wrinkles.

4. speedyg948

speedyg948

did a complete Lebaron Bonney interior kit on my 37 ford...the best advice..take your time, any trimming for lenght that has to be made should be longer then you need,gradually trimming until you achieve what you need.... use a good spray or brush on contact cement..3M spray adhesive#8080 with adjustable spray nozzel or weldwood brush on work great,just be careful with the brush on, if using cloth too much can be applied and it will soak through the material and show on the finished product...good luck ,,go slow and PM me if you need any advice

5. speedyg948

speedyg948

hey gasser...where are you in nj?..if not too far,probably could give you a hand..PM with location

6. Flinttim

Flinttim
    from Indiana

Spraying water on it can raise all kinds of issues (staining, etc) Better would be a steamer. Quite frankly, there are a lot of steamers around if you get to looking. Lot of people have them at home for taking wrinkles from clothes etc. You can even find a small hand held model at the box stores that would do. Pretty cheap really .