Register now to get rid of these ads!

Baby moons for 55 desoto wheels? how?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by StuntmanJames, Sep 29, 2011.

1. StuntmanJames

StuntmanJames
    from Denton Tx

Im tryin to figure out how a set of baby moons would fit on... if at all... there isnt really anything to clip em on to, but there are little keyhole shaped holes between the bolt holes... do those have somethin to do with it? Ill get a pic asap...

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's probably simplest to go with a set of wheel that fit the hubs and have the right nubbies to hold the cap. There should be lots of choices around that are pretty inexpensive.

3. What you need is mopar wheels from the 70's, they have the bumps that the cap can clip onto the bolt pattern is the same.

4. StuntmanJames

StuntmanJames
    from Denton Tx

Well id kind of like to not buy a new set of rims... if i cant find any ill just get some full caps... heres a couple pics of the rims tho...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. My dad's 56 Plymouth had clips on it
    I found a picture on the web.

Attached Files:

6. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Wheelsmith may have caps that don"t need "nubs" they would fit like thier Ford caps.

7. moparmonkey

moparmonkey
    from NorCal

'36 MD is right on, those rims originally had clips to retain the hub caps.

The "keyhole" is for a stud that was on the drums between the lug holes. You could hang the rim on the stud while you lined up the holes for the lug bolts, so you didn't have to fight around holding the wheel up and starting the bolts at the same time.

8. StuntmanJames

StuntmanJames
    from Denton Tx

So anyone know where i can get some of those clips and some baby moons for em?

9. chris sage

chris sage
    from CA

You can get the clips from Chevs of the 40's.The clips are the same.But i know of no one that has a plain baby moon.The only things are Chevy GMC Plymouth of Dodge caps.The Mopar caps you can get from Andy Bernbaum in Ma.