Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rare cars that make cool Hot Rods or would make cool Hot Rods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by grazy, Oct 18, 2011.

1. grazy

grazy

Lets see pictures of Rare cars turned into Hot Rods . My rare dream car would be a 1932 Ford sedan delivery whats yours ? If money was no object I think a Bugatti or a early Jaguar roadster would be a cool or different Hot Rod .

2. TomWar

TomWar

I think "COOL" is not so much what you start, with but what you end up with.

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

A Bugatti IS a Hot Rod!

4. grazy

grazy

173 read it ! 2 reponses ? I think everyones afraid they will be placed on the restorers 10 most wanted hit list .

5. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

No matter how you do it the 1932 Ford is where the ultimate Hot Rod begins.

This is a pursuit of the common man, no Duesenbergs or Bugattis required.

6. D ROD

D ROD
    from New Jersey

Chubby nailed it ^^^^^^^^^^^

7. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Here...Gasser?

Attached Files:

8. 66L-79

66L-79

There is no question about the early 30's model cars I really like the 33 and 34 bodies Chevy,Ford,Olds,Pont., etc. but I know a guy that built a 1952 Mercedes 220 Conv. tube chassis SBC etc. and that is one sweet looking ride.

9. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

Yeah, me too...

Attached Files:

10. Algon

Algon

Attached Files:

11. S.F.

S.F.

I always thought a 30's V16 Cadillac would be a cool to chop up

12. redzula

redzula

Gasser Ferrari would be crazy

It would have to be glass IMO because it couldnt bring myself to cut up an origional

13. cavemag

cavemag

I'm sure you would get hunted down and killed if you cut that thing up. Hell they were rare when they were brand new. Making a glass bodied drag car styled after would be awesome though.

14. SulphuriousSam

SulphuriousSam

How rare is an early 30's Alpha Romeo? That would make a great roadster hot rod...I probably wouldn't though. Or maybe a '32 DeVaux.

15. I wish I had a picture of this for you to see. But this year at the Syracuse Nationals there was a pearl white mid 30's Packard that was rodded and really cool. Obviously its owner didn't care that it was worth a boat-load of money as an original. He built what he liked and I applaud him for building one awesome rod.

16. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Huppmobile

Attached Files:

17. Some of you may have seen the "English Brothers" race team at the NHRA Reunion or at other events. There Jag Roadster is a real one, not a hardtop with the roof cut off. Now this is rare and probably pisses off a lot of Jag purests!

[​IMG]

18. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Yes! With a Kaiser or Graham blower on the Continental flathead.

Or a '34 Hupp using a Ford roadster body. Or a '33 or '34 Pontiac roadster or coupe: When's the last time you saw one of those straight-eight beauties?

-Dave

19. ol'skool29

ol'skool29

what about a 1957 fiat 1100?? buddy of mine is selling one for $200

20. sololobo

sololobo

Now that Jag is intense and the M.G. sitting behind it is bad boy lookin as well. No limits, except the imagination! ~sololobo~

21. This is truly your opinion, and you are entitled to it.
    Personally, I do not understand the infatuation with the 32 Ford.
    Early fords and small block chevy engines have a lot in common, they made a bunch of them, so they were readily available, and cheap...it is what a kid could afford.

Personally, I love the Hot Rod Jags (and just about any other sporty car with a V8). Now, what rare car would I like to hot rod? I would love to get my hands on a Delage or Delahaye and see if there is anything to improve. I would start with the brakes, and then move on to the suspension geometry and materials. I am not saying they suck, I am saying I would analyze them and make improvements where necessary. Then I would start to look at the drive train. Little tweaks here and there. I love the lines on these cars.
    [​IMG]

My color pallet would be different, but you get the idea.
    [​IMG]

If these are common and readily available...please hook a brother up, because I think these cars are just DEAD SEXY.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  22. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

'41 Graham Hollywood ... or a Hupp Skylark ... no body mods necessary.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  23. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'd like to see something like this as a HOT ROD. it is electric

Attached Files:

24. Put in a Lithium battery pack and and a newer motor and that would be a hot rod. Then you would have to upgrade the brakes and tires. I'm curious to know what its top speed and range were as built.

25. That car is pure bad ass

26. grazy

grazy

Thats what I'm talking about like early SS Jaguar. Cars with cool lines to begin with . Some that most are afraid to touch I saw a Studebaker at Goodguys low slung bonneville type Baker made into roadster looked like something speedracer would drive a car thats hard to improve on but damn it looked good . Some of my sons model car magazines contest annual issue has stuff in it looks cool but most people would never have the balls to attempt on a real car affraid to try .

27. alsancle

alsancle

The purpose of hot rodding in my opinion is to improve on something that was created by a factory. Some car should not be screwed with as you cannot under any circumstances improve their original incarnation.

28. BillyM

BillyM

I'm building a 1928 Graham Paige 614 Victoria Coupe into a rod.....it was really pretty bad when I got it, too far gone to be restored. I hated to do it, but figured I didn't have a lot of choices.

29. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Perhaps a Viper V10 in one of these with some nice Salt Flats....make a cool hot rod.

Attached Files:

30. At a guess, top speed, less than 30mph, range no more than 100 miles and more likely a lot less.