Register now to get rid of these ads!

Possibly Selling My T Roadster - How To Price?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Winfab, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Winfab

Winfab

Since hot rods are so unique how does one try to arrive at a fair asking price for a hot rod? I'm just considering selling the T roadster that my son and I built together and got driveable/licenseable about 7 or 8 years ago. I want his approval before actually placing any ads but wonder where would I price it? He's somewhat into cars but don't know if this would ever be a car he would be interested in having....then again, maybe sentiment would play into his feelings.

Thumbnail sketch of the car;

Mostly homebuilt, somewhat "lakes" style...not a lot of parts brought via the brown truck like many "kit" T roadsters, 2" X 3" tubing frame with taper to 2.5" in the front of the frame, MAS body with 1/2" steel tubing skeleton to hold body shape, 215 Olds that was rebuilt stock with exception of mild cam, Olds transmission, 8" Ford rearend, 4 wheel disc brakes, 4" drop front axle wishbones, fiberglass bucket seats but no interior, aluminum AFCO radiator with mods to fit grill shell. The car is a driveable, titled and registered (as a '21 Ford), and has been driven (guessing here) about 800+ miles since completion. Never got around to disassembly to clean up and paint everything.

I always wanted a T roadster and finally built this one when I was in my late 40's and early 50's. Now I'm kinda thinking, "OK, been there, done that". Moving on I'd consider something a bit more "weatherproof" that my wife and I could use for "fun traveling" when weather is too cold or nasty for motorcycle touring, now that we're empty nesters.

I would have added a picture, but the image is too big, I'm computer illiterate and wouldn't have a clue how to resize it. PM or e-mail me if you have some input or could resize a picture of the car to post.

Thanks, in advance.

Lynn
    [email protected]

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

where you store your pictures try right clicking on one and should let you resize there. will be tough to put true value on your car. just search ads here and online and look for some that are close cousins. bottom line is that only worth what you get for it. we all dream to sell high and buy low.

3. 53 effie

53 effie

If you have a windows based PC, you might try to use "Paint" under your "accessories"

I used MS Paint to resize pictures for the HAMB. Under the Image tab in Paint, there is Stretch or Skew. You can put in a percentage of say 40% and the picture should shrink down. You may have to play with it some to get the correct percentage.

4. Mike Rotch

Mike Rotch
    from Easley SC

Don't let anyone tell you what it's worth.
    Going by other people's asking prices isn't the best way to estimate the value of what you have, even if their adds say "firm" (and its been closed or declared sold) they may have done some swapping or gave in to the lowballers. If you have an Ebay account, do a search for something similar to what you've got, and then click on "see completed listings" to see what things have actually sold for or at least what people are willing to pay. Some of the things to be taken into consideration are the location of the item (rust free CA cars are always more expensive, and ones out in the boonies of WY are cheaper cause they're too far away) and the cost of whatever Ebay charges for their fees.

5. my recommendation...

ask yourself what you have in it, what you want out of it and what you'd be happy with.

that said,

compare your deal to comprable ads on the HAMB, craigslist and ebay. youll find out real quick if your being reasonable or irrational.

good luck.

6. Winfab

Winfab

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess in reality I know that value is established when a sale is made. I know about what I have invested in the build and realize my time will be worth pennies....maybe....on a good day. If my son doesn't want it I guess someone will that can get some driving enjoyment from it, if I decide to sell.

I tried several ways to re-size the picture but no luck. Anyway....thanks for the feedback.

Lynn

7. photobucket is great for getting your pics to load. check the sticky in the questions and suggestions forum on the main page.