Register now to get rid of these ads!

Finally its Zephyr Time... Another Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Metaltwister, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

I took in this 37 Zypher some time ago. Its right out of the Oklhoma desert so I have been told. It looks like its been in a fire at some point although it still has some original lead left in her. Speaking of lead she has taken a few shots in the side with a half dozen large calibar door shots. As well as a Close range shotgun blast to the driver door. I have been collecting some good usable tin for a year or so and finally aquired everything I need to get this thing back in shape.

I guess this will be my build thread as far as getting the body back in shape. It has the typical rot issues as well as being the target. The largest issue is the rear deck. Back in the day I guess you got more gas ration tickets if you were a farmer and had a pick up. Im guessing that is why they hacked out the back of this thing and ditched the deck lid. Then it actually looks like they used it for a truck because the rear of the body around the deck lid is all beat to heck. I pulled it off and beat it back pretty close to what it should be then tan the E.Wheel over it to get it even closer. I still need to do some shaping to get it symmetrical. I found a 37 ford deck lid that had the same center peak and im in the process of cutting that in for a very nice fit up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  2. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

Started on the cut out section last week. Still a little rough but its starting to take shape.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. -Brent-

-Brent-

I envy your abilities. I cannot wait to see more of this project.

4. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Subscribed!
    I've always liked those late 30's Zephyrs and i am going to watch this build.
    Keep it up!

5. Plowboy

Plowboy

Nice! I have one with decklid issues as well.....

6. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

Cut up / Pick up type issues?

7. Plowboy

Plowboy

No, just rust issues. So did you made the decklid smaller/shorter on that one then? I assume a '37 Ford coupe has a shorter decklid than a Zephyr...

8. BOP-Nut

BOP-Nut

Absolutely gorgeous cars.

9. tinmann

tinmann

A car worthy of your obvious talents.

10. Cool! I´ll be watching.

11. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

12. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Love it, nice work!

13. 1950-mercury

1950-mercury

Awesome car!!! I can't wait for more pictures. Keep up the good work!!!

14. henryj429

henryj429

Another Zephyr will see the light of day. Awesome!! PM me if you are stuck for parts - I have a few connections.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  15. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

No I sliced the center out of the 37 Ford deck lid and used it for the body below the window and above the the deck lid. It has the same peak shape and size as the 37 Zephyr. I had to do a couple at the bottom to reverse the peak direction but with a little massage here and there and it will look factory stock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Great to see another one saved. Subscribed...

17. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Wow, obviously you've got way more skills than I could even dream about. Good luck with the project. Looks great so far.

18. Legendary Lars

Legendary Lars

excellent bring more zephyrs back to life love it

19. Nice work so far. I've got a 38 that is REALLY rough. I'll be watching your build with interest...

20. man I can't wait to see this finnished!

21. Keep the updates coming

22. Mule Farmer

Mule Farmer
    from Holland MI

Looks like youve made some good progress. looks good

23. 52pickup

52pickup
    from Tucson, Az

Ok... someone's gotta ask it, What the hell is going on with the tape wrapped around the stud gun nails?

24. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

LOL... It took long enough.:D That is so the door knobs walking through the shop dont get hooked on the Zeph. I cant believe how many people cant stand up or just have to touch things! I tell everyone not to touch stuff when they come in the shop. It might be hot, or its good clean bare metal that I dont want there sweaty paw prints rusted into, or its sharp and will cut ya. A guys came in and leaned back up against the zephyr. It didnt break the skin but he was uncomfortable for a while. LOOK BUT DONT TOUCH! :rolleyes: That was my half ass attempt to say be careful.

I had a guy come in the other day and run his fingers down the edge of a sheet of sheetmetal I just sheared. Then he got pissed at me because he cut his finger... :eek: I just dont get it? Now I keep my gate shut and chain across the door with a sign that says keep out. Not very business friendly but I have no choice with these mindless idiots running around. Rant Off:rolleyes:

25. studhud

studhud

Ok Im confused plowboy is asking about the decklid and metal twister is talking about the deck below the window. Is that right? It looks like you found a real zephyr decklid I think? Either way I need a 37 coupe decklid for mine if ya got a spare let me know
    Dave Hitch
    FBBF

26. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

Right I used a 37 coupe deck lid as a body panel. Ill check and see if I have another one laying around... Both are about 43 inches long but there is a big shape difference.

All I have is hoods at this point but I will keep ya in mind. Need a hood?

Attached Files:

27. yes, what he said

28. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

this pretty awesome , i hope you keep on posting photos of your work , you are a talented metal smith

29. This should be interesting!

30. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for all the kind words guys. It's what I do for a living and Ive been doing it most of my life, Im glad some of lifes lessons and skill stuck over the past 55 years. The Zephyr is one of those projects that is going to have to be squeezed between life and other projects so it may go slow once in a while. My main focus is going to be rust repair and hours of hammer dolly work with a few heat shrinks here and there. Im not sure how exciting that can be but I will keep the pics of the progress coming. I tend to jump around on these projects only because I get bored quickly and it gives me time to think about what I need to do next. Again thanks for the encouragement.