Register now to get rid of these ads!

If you could own one of the "untouchable" cars what would it be?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flamingo_57, Oct 10, 2011.

1. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

I don't know.... (so many cars... so little time (or money):confused:

2. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

miura (lamborghini) 69-71. i would sit on richard simmons lap for one.

3. 33mopower

33mopower

4. 51 mercules

51 mercules

"Hirohata" or Mercury Charlies "Nadine".

5. To me, one of the most beautiful cars built is the 1936 Rolls Royce Sedanca drophead coupe. I got to see one years ago in the old Harrah's collection, and that car really stayed with me in its beauty, style, and elegance. Yeah, I'd own one!

Another one of the cars that strikes me from the pre-war era are the 1941 Chrysler Thunderbolts. Only six built. Way ahead of their time in every way!

The 1970 Plymouth Superbird has always been on my want list - especially a 426 Hemi 4-speed car in Black with black or white interior. I've always loved the 1961 and 1962 Chrysler 300G/H convertibles. Nearly the same car, but the '61 had the huge fins, while the '62 had none. Striking when parked side-by-side!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  6. tommy v

tommy v

7. beauishere

beauishere

The Doyle Gammel Coupe would be nice.

[​IMG]

8. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. MrModelT

MrModelT

The New York - Paris Thomas-Flyer...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

The Matranga Merc, hands down!!!!

11. BlueOvalCertified

BlueOvalCertified
    from Minnesota

I didn't read through all these, Put me down for the "Bass Coupe" with lifetime polishing of course!

12. #1 Kawboy

#1 Kawboy
    from Fl

Penske Grand Sport Corvette -BABY !

13. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Hirohata MERC

OR ONE OF THE GRAN SPORT CORVETTE RACING COUPES

14. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

The Frank Lockhart LSR Miller powered Stutz BlackHawk. Both rest in peace.

Beautiful car, a miniature in a land of giants.

15. The most important American racing car in existence. The front wheel drive Miller 91, the “Packard Cable Special” at the National Museum of American History.

When Harry Miller went bankrupt his design and rights were purchased by Fred Offenhauser, who eventually sold out to Meyer and Drake. From the 20s to the middle 60s almost all Indy 500 were won by Miller/Offy based engines.

No he is not the same Fred Offenhauser who is familiar to hot rodders. The younger man, who designed and sold aftermarket intake manifolds, was the nephew of the Offenhauser who took control of the Miller engine technology.

Below is a brief history I found at:

http://www.planetbuzo.com/automotive/history-this-day/jun14.php

Leon Duray drove his Miller 91 Packard Cable Special to a world close-coursed speed record, recording an astonishing top speed of 148.173mph, at the Packard Proving Ground in Utica, Michigan. Two weeks earlier, Duray had posted a record lap of 124mph at the Indy 500, a record that stood for 10 years until the track was banked. From a mere 91 cubic inches or 1500cc, the Miller's supercharged engine produced 230hp while weighing in at a svelte 290 pounds. The front-wheel-drive Miller Special never won an Indy 500, but its 1928-1929 results there prompted track officials to ban supercharged engines from the contest for over a decade. The 91 was engineer Harry Miller's crowning achievement. Today, one of Miller's masterpieces sits in the National Museum of American History at the Smithsonian. After the 91s were forced out of Indy, owner Leon Duray took his two Miller cars to Europe and proceeded to set international speed records for cars of similar engine displacement. He drove the 91 at 143mph over one kilometer and 139mph over five kilometers. Ettore Bugatti was so impressed with both the Miller's front-wheel drive and its engine design that he bought the cars form Duray in order to study them. Bugatti's later engines borrowed heavily from Miller's innovations to the designs of the combustion-chamber, port, valve, and head. Miller built only 11 of his front-wheel-drive superchargers, and today they are prized antiques. The two cars that Bugatti purchased were discovered, dusty but intact, by a Danish diplomat in a Bugatti warehouse in France in 1954. Auto historian Griffith Borgeson bought the two cars in 1959 and had them shipped to his home in Los Angeles, the city in which the cars had been built. One of those cars sits in the museum at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Harry Miller was, simply put, a legendary genius in the history of American racing. The technology he pioneered with his Miller 91s is still in use today. Miller went bankrupt in 1929 and all of his assets, including his drawings and designs, were sold at auction. One of his associates, Fred Offenhauser, struggled to purchase enough of the drawings and patent rights to carry on what Miller started. From 1922 to 1965, Miller and Offenhauser engines won all but six Indy 500s.

Attached Files:

16. twisted sister

twisted sister
    from chicago

moonglow or grapevine for me please!!!!!

17. RatsAss32

RatsAss32
    from SE Mich

Falfas 55. Then I would be neat.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

18. Manest

Manest

1963 Chrysler Turbine Car

Attached Files:

19. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

This would be nice -- wish I had the balls to drive it.

Attached Files:

20. brad2v

brad2v

A Duesy [​IMG]SJ, the Niekamp car, the Spencer roadster, the Gammel coupe...

21. D.R.Smith

D.R.Smith

I would take the first shellby cobra.Shellby still has it .it has a 260 v8 and three of the tires are still on it from the start.Same motor,trans,rear,and all other parts are original,He has turned down 5 mill.

22. SuddenDeath

SuddenDeath
    from Florida

A real 64 Thunderbolt, not a clone, but one of the few survivors or even better, a barn find unrestored car....if there are any left.

23. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

In the original vein of this thread, I think it would be the ‘54 Corvair (Corvette fastback) or the Buick Y Job.

In the vein of the “Doane Spencer roadster” answers, it would either be the Multy Aldrich T or the Isky T.

-Dave

24. rixrex

rixrex

"untouchable" well, an original 427 Shelby Cobra would be nice..a relatively stock 33-34 Ford roadster with a slightly lowered top..a fuel-injected 57 Nomad..and if you would, please throw in a nice warmed over 62 Corvette and I,ll stop bothering you...

25. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

GT-40 MkII, I wouldn't even need to own it, just drive it once. Maybe Laguna Seca or Watkins Glen?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

x2!!!

27. Flamingo_57

Flamingo_57
    BANNED
    from Rolla mo.

I guess I'll chime in since I was the one that originally posed the question. Here are mine:

57 chevy black widow

57 El morroco

Phantom Corsair

or a "battle Bird"

Put all these names in a hat and I'd be happy with which ever one fell out!

Attached Files:

28. duce dreamer

duce dreamer

The `40 Merc Rudy built is it for me.

Attached Files:

29. Flamingo_57

Flamingo_57
    BANNED
    from Rolla mo.

I dig all those matranga and westerguard style kustoms too, I'd be happy with any one of 'em!