Register now to get rid of these ads!

Harbor Freight Torch Kit ....Opinion?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bob 1743, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Bob 1743

Bob 1743

Can't afford the Victor, need something to heat & bend.
    What are you thoughts on HF # 65818 ?

Bob

2. tudorkeith

tudorkeith

If it's what you can afford to get the job done then buy it. Doesn't really matter how much better a tool is if you can't afford it. good luck

3. BERNIES WELDING

BERNIES WELDING

well i have found some good deals in pawn shops. pawn shops will let you hagle with them. especially if you are showing cash. swap meets are another good place. but if there is a hose with what you buy make sure you check it for damage and deteroiation. hose is very inexpansive.

4. stickwelder

stickwelder

Check Craigslist in your area. I just checked Charlotte NC. Lots of good deals. I searched in TOOLS using the word TORCH.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011

5. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Ive used them in the past, they work all right. The thing that sucks is that none of it is interchangeable with non harbor frieght stuff.

6. I'd buy a good used set somewhere if the HF is made overseas. Some of their stuff is okay to get the job done, but I'd be hesitant to stake my life on something that has the potential to blow up.

7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I could have had any of 4 different sets (Oxy/Acet) in the past months on Craigslist: going price $200 typically.
    Instead, I found a 'deal' to replenish my Victor Aircraft set that most of which had been stolen.
    Thieves got the tanks, regulators, hoses, and mixer (handle)

I had a nitrogen tank my welding shop (Praxair) took in trade for an oxygen tank. Acet tank was $100, then I found a guy with a new mixer for $60. (new that size from Victor was $165)
    Filled both bottles for a first time charge of $45, total! I bought a new 24 foot hose set, and used regulators, and a new cart. ($70)
    I'll modify the Chinese cart, but it works fine for now.
    I just love having my small aircraft torch back, my '27 Tub really needs surgery...and my '47 sedan, '50 F-1, and the rest...LOL

8. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Save your money and buy a good one, it will last the rest of your life. You'll be able to get parts for the better known brands as well.

9. Ole don

Ole don

I bought the 99 dollar gas welding set from HF about three years ago. I would not recomend it for anyone under sixty years old. It wont make it. Save your money a while and buy better stuff. It does make fire, its the first time I ever owned a rosebud tip. It makes BIG fire. But the quality is just not there. Check out your local gas supply place.

10. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I would guess the HF is ok, but as mentioned you may have trouble getting accessories that fit it if you ever want to add on. I have a Victor that I have had for well over 25 years and the only thing I have had to replace was one regulator in all that time. It owes me nothing at this point and still does what I need it to do.

Funny thing about a torch set is that some people think they are outdated technology, but I can't begin to guess how many times it has gotten me out of a jam or helped to heat and bend something. We use ours a lot.

Don

11. i have 20 yrs on my set from them and just replaced the hoses this year. i couldnt afford any better at the time and it has served me well

12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Glad you mentioned that, Kid. Everybody selling them says they're the same, in a weak moment I nearly went for one myself. But I suspected they were different...

13. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Yeah, save your money and buy the good stuff. A while back I purchased a chinese torch kit off of eBay, which may or may not be the same style as Harbor Freight sells. I bought a set of tanks and got to work. The torches did work, but not particularly well, the cutting torch especially. While it did cut, it was hard to light, and properly adjust, and then when it did cut, it cut unevenly and often went out. I thought it was just due to my inexperience, but I borrowed a friend's Victor torch and tried that. Lo and behold, no more issues, and nice clean, easy cuts. That crappy torch has sat on the shelf ever since.

14. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

I have had HF units for years, replaced Oxy reg on 1st then it walked away, 2nd one works just dandy.

15. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

I've had my Victor set up for 35 years and it was probably at least 25 years old when I got it. I've never had a problem with it. Don't waste your money on HF crap. Buy a quality used set up.

16. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Have had a HF set for 5 years or so works just fine and uses Victor type tips also. Not all Chinese stuff is junk but if you buy a $5 toaster don't expect much.

17. hoggyrubber

hoggyrubber

i agree with buying a quality used set. i'm sure you can find one cheaper than a new hf set anyway. i have bought many over the years cheaper than their set, but resold them later. just keep an eye out.

18. Mike Rotch

Mike Rotch
    from Easley SC

Their cutting torches aren't worth taking if they're free, but their rosebud tips (#6 I think?) work great and are a great value for the money.

19. moparmonkey

moparmonkey
    from NorCal

I bought a great torch set I found on Craigslist. Mostly Victor stuff, with an old Craftsman cutting torch. I paid less than it would have cost me to get everything from HF, and I suspect it will last a lot longer. Haven't even had to get the bottles filled yet!

20. evintho

evintho

21. TWKundrat

TWKundrat

My advice would be to check out the Harris torch kit (owned by Lincoln now) that Lowe's carries for $175. I've been happy with mine that I've had for over 5 years. Harris also makes a portable set with the mini bottles for about $290 but I think the torch and regulators are kinda crappy. Maybe still a little better than Harbor Frieght? The only trouble is that the tips aren't as easy to come by as the Victors.

22. scottlep

scottlep

Most of the Harbor Freight stuff is absolute junk. There is one in my area and people are lined up out the door to buy the crap. I learned my lesson years ago about buying the junk they sell. It isn't cheap if it breaks and then you have to go buy the good version to replace the cheap crap that just broke.

23. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

It wouldn't hurt to check out youtube for more info on this. I was just messing around the other day the youtube and put in torch. Came up with a bunch of stuff about HF tools including torches. Answered some guestions I had too.

24. speedyg948

speedyg948

been using victor for over 27 years...save your pennies kid, buy the good stuff and you'll still have have it when your an old @#$% like me

25. budd

budd

i bought a new Victor machine torch off ebay for $125 right to my door, it came with check vales and extra tips, the whole thing i priced up in my area and would of been over $500, i have bought a couple used torch sets over the years and none worked.

26. Piper106

Piper106

1. Tool that can cut or melt steel can damage human body very fast.
    2. Doctors still not good at putting badly burned people back together.
    3. Chinese selling stuff containing 'only a little bit of poison' to their own.
    4. "Best quality" made in China stuff being sold to running dog capitalists.

In my opinion 1, 2, and 3 would indicate 4 is not a good idea.

Piper106

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011