Register now to get rid of these ads!

Driving a Hot Rod on "Reality" TV

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2011
  2. Rasmus

Rasmus
    from Las Vegas

Link's broken.

3. ChassisResearchKid

ChassisResearchKid
    from Michigan

^^^^^^^^what he said.

4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Fixed. Sorry about that.

5. 4t7flat

4t7flat

That is a neat idea. My son lives just a few blocks from there. Can't wait for them to open. About 20 years ago there was a garage themed resturant some where in the East Point area. That resturant had complete cars cut into booths. I had a Christmas lunch with the boss there.

6. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Sorta sounds like this guys t.v. career!!:D

[​IMG][​IMG]

Looking forward to watching it!

7. lol that's funny a lot of pretending there, i think that i am gonna have to watch that when it comes out... ya think the general public will know that the car is being towed around? lol that sounds like a perfect opportunity for a gag real.. have the tow rig tow the car around and have both of ya fall asleep in the car lol

8. Sounds like a lot more fun than any of my days at work last week.

9. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

Awesome, must have been weird pretending to drive. Can't wait to see how you pulled it off!

10. Lets see the cute model, we know what your car looks like! ;)

11. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

I would have sounded like a complete idiot for sure, and for legitimate reasons.

12. harp

harp

did you at least get to rev the motor?

13. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

way cool for you........can't wait to see it !!

14. i hope y'all made a gag real.. i can think of a hundred funny things to do with that set up....

15. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Along these lines, the entrepenuer in me always thought Ryan could pull off one of those reality build type shows...there's enough creative talent and rod shops here to run for years and never get old. I'll bet Corky would be all over it, among others.

Jalopy Journal TV...hey...it works for Oprah.

...on second thought...do we REALLY want this to go mainstream?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  16. No:rolleyes:

17. koth

koth

Hey thanks for sharing what it took to do the filming for the show. It's really surprising to find out how "they" catch a shot for a film. I had no idea that your car would be in a cradle and towed around. Kind of like being on the back of a tandem bicycle.

18. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

HAHA - I can't wait to see this. They should have gone with a greenscreen and they could drop you in anywhere.

19. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

3 Window Larry: For the HAMB build lets go back to the late 60s/early 70s and repeat the 29 A V8 on deuce rails that Bud Bryan did in R&C. Never could figure out why R&C doesn't run that build again. Would be more interesting than some of the stuff they are currently doing! I'm in with some parts and when it's done lets auction it off for a charity like Wounded Warriors?

20. weez

weez

Sounds like heavy duty walking-and-chewing-gum-at-the-same-time type of thing!

21. A dolly rig?! YOU GOTTA BE SHITTING ME! "Reality TV" indeed...!

Oh well, at least they got someone with some real perspective on the deal...

22. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You'd have to define "mainstream" I guess. In some ways it already has and has given birth to the dreaded "rr" cars. A few years back Jesse did that 54 Chev build with the legends and brought some of their lives and accomplishments forward in time. Rightfully so IMO. While not perhaps soley responsible for it, they now have additional opportunities to earn and survive financially with appearances and such. They earned that a long time ago. What "this" is will never be mainstream. The elders among us have always done it. They gave birth to the modern rod industry. It's just that the few of us will always remember and practice the old ways for ourselves. One of our cars will always generate more attention than the new ones for that very reason, even though those who see it and truely like it, may not even understand why.

23. spark250

spark250

I was wondering what would become of the Vinsetta garage. I live very close.

If can't be a garage I guess this is a pretty cool alternative. I think the previous owner sold most of his business to a guy in Royal Oak.

24. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Congrats on the Reality Show with your 29 ! That has to be much better than someone else's car . At least you are at home in your own car ! So how do you make turns without turning the steering wheel ? :eek: I always wondered how they did those shots , but never figured you would be towed around like that ! I hope everything works out great for the show and wish you the best ! You will have to keep us posted on when the show will be aired .

Retro Jim

25. justanotherguy

justanotherguy

Oh man... are we going to have to call you "TV JAY" now ?
    :rolleyes:

26. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Are they going to dub in the motor sounds? If so, maybe suggest using this awesome classic even if it probably won't synch up well to the actual action and will drown out the dialogue.

27. PORKCHOP76

PORKCHOP76
    from iowa

way cool... but u had to act like u were driving while being towed?

28. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Very cool, looking forwarded to seeing the episode.:cool:

29. 40yearslate

40yearslate
    from Denver, CO

I'm glad it was you.

but, what the hell - did I miss pics of the chick?

30. If the front end is on the dolly, I assume the engine was off and the transmission was out of gear? And you never really "shifted" or any thing like that? Totally weird. Most of these I see have camera cars alongside and cameras clipped to body panels. Courtney? Hansen?