Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tom Medley garage fire?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ramblur, Oct 14, 2011.

1. So sad, can't imagine how he's feeling. A truly great man. One in a million.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

That would make a GREAT episode about giving back to an pioneer rodder who has given the rodding world so much for so long!! I bet it wouldn't take much to make that happen!! And talk about a GREAT way for Bob Drake to get some PR about his coupe bodies!!

3. That picture breaks my heart. Glad to see he made it unscathed, what a trooper!

4. Dave Rondou

Dave Rondou

I'm glad to see that Tom's ok. We lost a lot of history in that garage.

5. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Best wishes to Tom, I've been a fan of his for many years. I'm glad he's OK, thats what matters

6. This attitude is what has mad Mr. Medley tops in his field and, I'm certain, why he has been blessed with such longevity... Thanks for sharing this.

Ditto this:

7. Just can't even imagine going through that, especially at 91.
    Most important is that he came out in good shape.
    Wish him the best.

8. George G

George G

9. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

That is hard to take. Always loved his work!
    Stan Betz gave me a "Stroker" T- Shirt a few years back.

10. that just sucks his car must be redone !

11. Ebert

Ebert

No sorry to hear....I was fortunate to meet Tom a few years ago...what a wonderful gentleman. Glad he was not hurt.

12. Harms Way

Harms Way

Such a fine man,.. and a tragic accident,.... So sorry to hear this.

13. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

scarey and sad. but it's cool that at 91, he's still working in the garage

14. 32STUPRES

32STUPRES

Just talked to Tom - said he was fine personally and had his son and some friends trying to secure items that were not destroyed in this tragic fire. Even at 91, this guy has unbelievable energy and an excellent outlook on life...basic comment - "Aw hell this stuff happens". He is a personal friend of mine and I thank God he was not hurt - he is genuinely the nicest guy you will ever meet. Good luck ole friend and thanks to all the Hambers that have shown a sincere concern for Tom...........Joe

15. What a great attitude from a great man. Thank god he's okay and hope that another fine hot rod comes into your life right away Tom.

16. Wagonmaster2

Wagonmaster2

Looks okay physically, but this could really hurt his mental outlook....Hope he handles that okay. What a great guy!

17. 55chevr

55chevr

Just a thought ... I hope everyone keeps a fire extinguisher in their car and one in the garage ... You never know when it will be needed. We all remember the Sherman Oaks Vicky fire. That 3 lb Kidde extinguisher that a passer by had saved the driver

18. chopper cliff

chopper cliff
    from lodi ca

I'm glad that Mr Medly is ok physically, I hope he recovers from the mental anguish that comes from such loss. When they burned my barn I lost 40 yrs of collecting, thankfully my 28 PU and coupe were in the driveway, it still took time to recover. Best wishes and Luck, keep the faith, you are among friends.

19. Sorry to hear of Tom's loss, but glad to hear that he is OK.

20. Cruiser

Cruiser

:( Sad to read, the kind of guy Tom is he'll bounce back in no time. This is a good time to look around all of our garages and make sure were covering our asses with a fire suppression system or good size fire extinguisher. I had a fire under my car dash and saved my car, my garage and maybe my house with quick action with the extinguisher.

Take a look guys and make your garage is safe!

CRUISER :cool:

21. UNCLEJON91

UNCLEJON91
    from CAL.

T medley is the man. He has been a friend for ever.
    Sad news about the 40 and the grage at least you are good.

Jamen jon

22. Stu Padasso

Stu Padasso

We spent the day mucking out Tom's garage before the insurance people show up tomorrow. Amazingly, we located files of original artwork Tom had done dating back to the '40's, priceless family pictures and albums, and early (1948,49, 50) Hot Rod magazines, lots of earlyhot rod memorabilia, and even some undamaged vintage kart stuff. Hard to understand why some items were burned and others were spared.
    Again, Tom was unharmed and is in great spirits. (Unfortunately, the '40 coupe doesn't have a straight panel anywhere!)

23. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Breaks my heart.

24. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Very sad indeed. Glad to hear Tom is fine and that some stuff inside was saved from the fire and water damage. While heartbreaking, the 40 can be replaced.

25. Flatfreek

Flatfreek
    from Nowra NSW

Flatfreek here from down under.
    I received an email last night informing me of Tom Medley's loss of property from a fire in hisn garage. Thnkfully it appears that Tom was not hurt badly. I just wanted to pass on my regards to him as I have appreciated his involvement in Hot Rodding since I can remember.
    I joined this group ages ago but have never posted until now.
    I drive a steel '32 Tudor Hi-Boy style; which runs a '53 Ford SV mill with a Thickstun twin hi-rise supporting two 97 carbs. The heads are aussie Waggott early style.
    I indulge in History whenever it raises it's memorable head.
    Please pass this on to Tom if possible and I wish him all the best in the future.
    Regards
    Ray Ellis(Flatfreek)

26. Tuff Tin

Tuff Tin

Simply amazing! This fella has been on HAMB since 2007 and the news of Tom's fire stirred him to post a note.
    I think it shows just how much Tom is loved everywhere.
    Mike

27. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

i mentioned in the other post that i will help any way i can if tom needs it, hes a great guy. please locals keep us posted on what we can do! thanks

28. Radical Dave

Radical Dave

Hi' everyone, I would just like to add my tuppence worth to this thread. I was very upset to see this news on the web as I met Tom in Memphis in 2008 at George Poteets place.
    What a great guy we had a great chinwag about his time over here in England during the war and as has already been said he is sharp as a tack !
    Here is (hopefully) a picture taken that evening of my friend Keith Harman, Tom & myself on the right. We wish Tom all the best and hope he get's his coupe repaired/replaced soon.
    Cheer's Dave.

Attached Files:

29. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana