Register now to get rid of these ads!

holding on to that "special motor"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skyspop, Oct 17, 2011.

1. skyspop

skyspop

I know I cant be alone on this one,How many have had a project started,then stalled out because you keep switching your mind on what motor you'd like to use?Or almost worse yet,have a motor completely gone through,rebuilt,only to sit on an engine stand,because you just dont want to put it in something you may sell.I know it can always be taken out,but really this has been a dilemma for me before.I have a 409 that I really want to put in something,mainly to keep.but cant decide which car,i have a 59 camino that i hope to keep,so thats a possibility,But also have a nice model A that already has a decent 327,but would look way cooler with the 09.I know its not that big of a deal for some of you,changing motor mounts,trans,and whatever else.But It has really slowed alot of progress on a few builds for me over the years. Just like to hear some thoughts on that special motor you have on the engine stand,I know theres a few out there...

2. Or have several cool engines that cost a lot more than a SBC to rebuild...

3. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

You're not alone and it's not always an engine. Lots of trinkets have been the core of a hot rod build.

4. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

I have had the 289 I got when I was 16 been in 7 different cars now. Won't part with it, If the car sells the motor stays. Its nothing special to anyone but me!

5. I have a somewhat rare true Boss 351C motor that has been in 4 cars now. It is completely rebuilt and was only run in one of them (a 67 Mustang) for about 3 miles. Each time the focus of the car changed and the motor was too valuable to me to get rid of. It's been 25 years now! It even had a 671 on it up until two years ago when that focus of that car changed as well. One of these days I'll find the right car for it - maybe I should put it in my 63 Falcon.

6. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I have had this model b motor and a riley 4 port head for a long time. I always dreamed of putting in a dry lakes model a roadster.Before I do that I need to get my 51 merc with a 331hemi going.

7. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey

I've got the engine my dad bought to put in his '47 Ford grain truck when I was about 10.

4x2 Weiund intake, Edmunds custom heads, ported and relieved, Merc crank.

About to decide to let it go:(

8. they are just parts.....I will find others....

9. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Brand new. Not rebuilt new.327 bought new in 1974 its a replacment motor for a 62 to 64 chevy

10. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Should put the 409 in the A!

11. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

I pulled this HIPO 289 out of an old drag car that I gave my brother, I've put it a couple builds only to pull it out because I got a better deal on a cool trasmission however none fit the 289. I am still waiting for that special trans to go with the 289, it's a great sounding motor.

12. whiskerz

whiskerz
    from Ga.

I have a 351c that was in 2 cars already

13. George G

George G

I yanked a 4 bolt main 350 sbc from my 1976 Chevelle Laguna back in the spring of 1980.

Still sitting in the corner of the shop. Just waiting......

14. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I pulled this outta my A as it's a honkin' engine.....repainted it and added the Rotofaze. It's been sitting on garage floor for a 4 years now....
    It's just a SBC....nothing "special".....just has some neat go-fast parts on it.

[​IMG]

15. I have a 289 that is in its third car.Got it back around 1975. But you can get your dreams dashed. I have been holding on to a 348 for over a decade. Finally decided to use it and found out it has cracks on both sides of the block. Still waiting to decide on the 396 I have had over 20 years.

16. A 409 in a open engine bay....... priceless

I have a L79 327 that's been in 5 cars.
    #6 is in the planning stage,

17. skyspop

skyspop

I prolly should have,Its all set up with an auto and the 327 now,The 409 measures a little longer,and I just bought a muncie and a T 10 at the roadster swap this weekend,so thinking of putting a four speed behind the 409,I have a stick setup for one already.It should go in an open hotrod,rather than a closed car,but I dont have anything at the moment,other than my 59 camino,or 59 sedan delivery,that I want to keep for the long haul.I see some of you guys have got me beat on how long you"ve been holding,so I do not feel so bad yet.

18. I have my flathead out of my Mercury just sitting.I wish I had a Hotrod to put it into.

19. 117harv

117harv

X2...:cool::)

20. jville_hot_skater

jville_hot_skater
    from jville

I have an Model A banger motor sitting my garage for nearly 4 years.
    i cant part with it, i just wish i had the deep pockets to build it like i want it.
    but its gonna take even longer now since i have a kid on the way...i basically sold all my projects....trying to join the airforce too.

21. 1960impala283

1960impala283

59 Sedan Delivery with a 409 is my vote. But I would stick a "w" in the A for sure...

I have 5 "W" motors and I'm not parting with any of them.

I have an exit plan with all my cars. I have a bunch of junk yard sbc motors at my Brother's. If I ever have to sell a car, I'm doing a switch-a-roo.... Problem solved

22. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

how dare you be rational and in control.

23. zimm

zimm
    from iowa

my dad has a 460 he build 25 years ago the year i was born he is just now geting around to uesing it because i gave him the car to put it in
    i just pulled a 292 out of a f100 parts trck it is the start of my roadster project

24. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I have a motor nothing special,When I was 22 which is 21 years ago my buddy's help me build a 327 small block,Its been in my last 3 cars and has under 30,000 miles,Going in the roadster next,The 32 truck I have just got a plain 350 ...It was a tough decision which vehicle to put it in though ...

25. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

261 Chevy, 302 GMC, 320 Buick, 425 Buick, 430 Lincoln.

And a few others of lesser importance.

26. I've got a complete, zero-mile rebuilt '69 Mopar 440 engine that has slated to go in at least ten cars and pickups over the past ten or so years. Other than a couple of accessory brackets, it's ready to install. One day, it'll go in something. It's the spare engine in case I ever blow up the 361 in the Coronet, if nothing else!

27. mickeyc

mickeyc

69 model chevy 350 that was bought new over the counter with a set of sequential number fuely heads also bought at the same time. Never has been in a street car . Built for oval track racing with a lunati roller and
    mondello head work. Also have the Frankland quick change and muncie that were run with this motor. Has quite a few events on it but still had good power when retired.

28. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

56 Desoto Hemi that I got in a horse trade 25 years ago that is supposed to go in a 27 T if we ever get the T body into one piece.

29. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I have a clinton two stroke go-cart engine I won't part with. Top that for being weird.:D Oh, and a 327-300 engine.:)

30. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I, like most here ...
    Have a old engine that just will not go away. I have sold the cars it was in only to have it come back to me ... when I built a bigger, better engine for the new owners ( twice ) . Once I bought the O/T car that it was installed in back. A couple times I pulled the engine and installed a stocker type engine and saved the engine for myself.

It is nothing really great. It is a 010 4 bolt main 1970 350 ... out of a 1970 Z28 Camaro. It has the C N A stamped on the pad. It is rated @ 360 HP.

I need to put it in something. It has not ran in maybe 10 years.

:D