Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ever denied a buyer?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SlmLrd, May 13, 2011.

1. phat rat

phat rat

AMEN. When I raised horses I sometimes took one to a sale. I'd have people ask me what if the buyer was a meat buyer? I would always answer it was his to do with as he pleased, I had my money. If you're willing to sell don't bitch about what the buyer does with it. Would you want the previous owner of your car/truck to tell you what you could or couldn't do with your car/truck?

2. Odd, as I've read of them before. Rare because they could have put rubber bands in the transmission and they would have lasted longer, I would imagine most got retrofitted to something else, but it did get built and sold.

3. Mike Rotch

Mike Rotch
    from Easley SC

The only reason to refuse the sale of a vehicle is if the seller suspects the buyer plans on using it for transporting moonshine or something.

4. A few years ago I had a nice straight 52 Ford Sedan Delivery. Flatty 3 speed and Over. I knew I was not going to ba able to finish it so I put the word out that it was going up for sale. I started to get calls and lots of interest was shown but mostly by folks 30 and under who all wanted to chop the top which I was not going to let happen. So after turning away 10 or so guys a gentleman from the Early Ford Club came by and said he wanted to restore it !! It's yours buddy!!

5. pistonhead

pistonhead
    from Chicago

Wish i had the option when I sold my last ride.

6. Muttley

Muttley

Some of you sound like the only reason you are interested in old cars is to make money.

7. HamD

HamD

I sold an aluminum Cutlass hood on CL a while back. I'd have liked to make an alum. hood for a car of mine out of it but figured I wasn't going to get around to that fab. project for years so...

The fellow brought cash, told me he was going to hack it up to fit his roundy-round Camaro and did I mind. Since I had drug that hood around with me for about 8 years, I let it go.

260 CID Olds V8 too.

8. mikeey rat

mikeey rat
    from Australia

I can see how guys become hoarders of old cars and don't ever sell any thing again.Been trying to sell my 64 country sedan for a while now,waited around for guys to turn up ,couple of no shows[ waited around the whole weekend ],One shows up once then comes back later and pockets some parts from another car while i'm not home.Another turns up lowballs me when I know he's got loads of money and is just going to trash it like he's done with all his other cars.Just advertised it again with A note to previous lookers not to bother.Even if these guys come around with more money than I'm asking they can get lost.Rather sell a car to a respectful person for less money....

9. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Not at all. Selling doesn't always equate to profit. Rarely does, actually.

10. I once sold a nice 70 Pontiac to my neighbor that I did a lot of work to..

It used to rip at my gut every morning when he would start it up and peel up the street with a cold motor..

He finally smashed it up, thank God!

11. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

I would sell it to the first person with the cash. Never love something that won't love you back...JMO

12. i had once a ot 72 valiant sport coupe that everyone liked to buy. Oneday a guy came and asked for it. The vibe was good and i gave him the car for a low low price. A lot of the others offered a lot more. Today he is one of my best friends. Was a good deal.

13. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

good for you for looking out for the best interest in the car. there's always a market for vintage tin and there is always people out there who will be looking to purchase. Finding the right caretaker might take some time but you'll find them

14. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

the shop i worked at had a very radical show truck,,,other than on and off its trailer it wasnt driveable.... no lights,exhuast,3 gl fuel tank,had to run race fuel.couldnt keep it cool. blablabla..a guy comes in and has to have it,,,was told it wasnt streetable,but he says he wants it,,, deal is made and a time is arranged to get it out of the showroom...he shows up to get it with no trailer... again they explain its not driveable...at this point they also ask if they have a garage big enough for it,,(very tall 4x4) he says no... my boss says its no longer for sale...later we find out the guys a drug dealer and had a pile of money burning a whole in his pocket....and is now in jail.... years pass another guy has to have it,,,this guy has a shop and needs a show piece,,, never made sence to me he would use someone elses build as HIS show piece,,he paid the price showed up with a nice truck/trailer a few weeks went by he bought some parts and asked about some issues,,, he wanted to make it driveable,,,,took the 671 off put on a tunnel ram. had some hack muffler shop do some exhuast,, rather than drill a hole for hangers they burnt a hole with a torch,, paint on frame was just as good as the body...or was...he made some crappy bed mounted radiator,tried to rig some headlights,,never got it running right,,,,after 2 years his shop was failing (wonder why) he sold it back for about half what he paid...truck is hurt but can be fixed... now its setting in a storage building covered in dust....my old boss regrets selling it,,,

15. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I agree. And the guy that buys the car is going to sell it to someone else eventually, or immediately. You can't control who THEY sell it to. They can also be BS'ing you to tell you what you want to hear; "yeah, I'm gonna do whatever you want me to do with it Mr. Seller, no worries. I'll rub it with a diaper every day, ok?". Then turn around and trash it. You simply don't know what they will do with it once it's in their possession. So why should I be picky about who buys it? If I'm selling, it's because I want to sell it. Whoever shows up with the greenbacks gets it. JMO.

16. #1 Kawboy

#1 Kawboy
    from Fl

I've never been able to part with any of mine ......

17. I put my Bantam roadster up for sale, Had a guy make us a real decent offer,and once he told me his plan for the car,I talked him out of buying it..It was easy to see this wasn't the car he wanted ,so why do it..
    Anyway,we found him a better - newer chassis than mine and now he's happy that he has a home for a blown Hemi.
    And I'm still happy I have the car! (in avitar)

Rick

18. Ole_Red

Ole_Red
    from 206, WA

As a Stude-Guy, Thank you. :cool:

19. A sale or gift with strings attached isnt a sale or gift at all. In gonna sell to whoever has the cash. Be it a demo derby guy scrap man or restorer etc. I always aks a prospective buyer if their a mechanic. I tell them if they cant fix it themselves they probably dont need it. OldWolf

20. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have an assortment of 40 Ford stuff-have several nice dashes. Every now and then someone will want to buy one. I ask them what they are going to do with it and if they say they are going to hack it up to put in something else, I won't sell to them, but rather direct them to someone who has a lesser quality dash for less money they can hack up-usually they are O.K. with this.

21. I sent away a guy that was looking at a really nice, mostly all original car that I was trying to sell. He didn't like the color, the fact that it was a small block car, etc. and he began to tell me about all of the ways that he was going to change the car... Now if this would have been a car that was already modified, painted, etc. then I'd of course have let him do whatever he wanted to it. I just felt like a nice original car should go to someone who wouldn't mess it up.

BUT... The previous owner of my Bluesmobile (OT, sorry!) lives about ten doors down from me, and he said "I don't know why you had to paint up my car like that" after I converted his mostly stock & original 74 Dodge Monaco into Jake & Elwood's car and he saw it at another neighbor's house. Funny thing was that he had NEVER seen the Blues Brothers movie before! I loaned him my copy and when he returned it he was smiling from ear to ear and he admitted that he had a total change of heart and was glad that I had done that to the car.

I suppose that as long as the title is still in your name, you get to decide what happens to it. Once it goes into someone else's possession, it's THEIR turn to decide what happens to it.

22. Fireant

Fireant
    from Texas

My thoughts exactly!

23. hotrod_willie

hotrod_willie

I am deal w/ this buyer that bought something off of Ebay from me. I sold him a rearend gear. He calls me up saying that the gear was damage and wants his money back. I refund his thru paypal credit card account. Then calls me up wants more money for paypal fees and shipping. I told him ship the gear back to me and give a quoto on how much more money that own him. He send the gear back and send him the money he request for the shipping and paypal fees. The gear did have some damage on it that was over looked by me my bag. Then the buyer leaves a NEG fee back on ebay after I refunding him all of his money plus shipping and paypal fees. I got email Paypal show he put a dispute on money that he payed for the gear. I had go show to paypal and show them I had to used Paypay credit to pay the guy back. Now paypal will take 30 day review the dispute mean time I can used the money that is my account. I call this guy up tell him to end the dispute. He tells me it is all fought. He will end the dispute but have hear nothing from paypal about him end the dispute. I wish he would never bidded on the gear.

24. big tap

big tap

when i first got married i sold my car so i could buy a car for my wife i put money and time on that car it was real nice but i sold it for less than i could get for it i just wanted to get my wife a new car well long story short in less than one month that kid destroy the car i mean he race it to the ground and he ended up hitting a curb on the freeway if i could doit all ove again i would not sold him that car i think that if you are not hurting for money you made a wise desision.

25. 01spirit750

01spirit750
    from Ohio

Finding the right buyer is tough.

When I bought my wife her last new car (less then one year old and less then 6k miles) from craigslist, there was a pending offer from a couple who were beating the seller up on the price for the past few weeks and (to add insult to injury) they wanted to do some illegal stuff on the DMV paper work to not pay taxes (gift them the car or claim the sales price was 50% of actual).

We hit it off with the guy, turns out we had both worked for HP, and the car checked out. His price was fair so I offered him a few hundred less then his asking price and he accepted.

When we meet him to pay for the car, he told us he loved calling the other couple to tell them that the car was sold. He told us that he had over 30 emails in the past 2 weeks from the other couple asking all kinds of questions and odd ball deals they wanted to do, to buy the car.

26. riverrat

riverrat

are these cars your talking about or your girlfriends?
    riverrat

27. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I gotta have a good feeling if I am going to send my stuff off to a new home, and I need cash, It is painfull enough without dragging it on and on.

28. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

OT - but I can see how it can be a PITA! I had my old zero turn mower up for sell. A young kid stops by with his wife and their newborn. He test drives it and says he will be back that weekend to pick it up. He called on Friday night and said he didn't have the cash yet but really wanted it. The guy was trying to start yard service work after the company he mowed for shut down. He claimed to have a large list of clients, just needed the equipment. He offered a down payment and said I could keep the mower until it was paid in full. I told him to just save his money and I would pull it off the market for two weeks. Two weeks turned into two months but he got the funds and came thru. It took a lot of my time up (the kid called twiced a week to keep me updated) and I would have been better to sell it to someone else but it is kinda cool when I see him heading to a lawn job with my old mower in tow. I'm glad to see the kid is putting in the effort and trying to make it.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  29. HRs&HDs

HRs&HDs

I wa selling a '69 camaro. Had two guys in my yard both wanting it. One guy steps up and says it is for his 16 year old son's first car. He got it right away. I told him it was his because he is a good Dad starting his son out right with an old muscle car and not some Jap p.o.s.

30. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

just denied a buyer on one of my chassis, he was very disrespectful, said since it was not was he was looking for it was a worthless pile of tubing among other things, but was going to bid on it anyway. his bid was another insult. had to tell him for the way he was treating me he didnt have enough money in the world to buy it, and to move on to someone new. some times you just have to tell people to screw off to save yourself some head aches