Register now to get rid of these ads!

Y-block upgrades

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stephen67, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Stephen67

Stephen67

1956 Ford F600
    272 HD Y-block

What kind of horsepower, or more importantly torque, can I expect to see by upgrading the intake and exhaust on a 272 Y-block? The one I have is in great condition with only 24,000 original miles on it (worked in a gold mine for 50 years). I have to fix the rear main seal and front coolant seals on it do to some drunk (long story), but it runs like a champ.

I'm trying to deiced the route I want to go with the powertrain in my truck, and if I can get what I want out of the Y-block without having to tear it out and completely rebuilt it and break the bank, I'd like to keep it in there. I'm mainly looking for estimates on numbers right now (gas mileage, horse power, torque, cost) to help me deiced the best route.

I know a lot can be done to them, but I can't afford to stroke it out and do all the machining work right now (plus I have to have an engine in it to keep it at the only place I can, it must be able to drive, so if one needs to be built it can't be the one in there right now) I'm mainly looking for some bolt on upgrades and what I can expect to see from them.

So, any ideas on making some more power fairly inexpensively? Numbers are really helpful for me in figuring out which way to go.

Thanks

2. what you have could be the big Y block , as in Lincoln Y block not ford Y block . These were used in Lincoln cars ( and some Mercurys) and heavy duty trucks in the 50's . 297 317 341 and 368 cubes . Lots of torque .

3. FE.

But seriously, if its going in a truck, Ram horns would be a nice addition, finding a set of ecz-g heads is kind of pointless unless you plan on porting and polishing. A '57 big four barrel intake and a 57+ distributor would be a good addition.

Even if you throw a lot of money at a Y-block, it won't be a screamer. A nice stock rebuild to 292, maybe throw a warm cam in it for fun, and you'll have an engine that will put you along as far as the road will take you.

edit: didn't see the f600. I'd say that would probably be a lincoln engine. Is the thermostat horizontal or vertical?

4. Stephen67

Stephen67

The code I have on the VIN is "Z", which was the 272HD, but I haven't been able to verify it. I thought I remembered checking but to be honest it's been so long I'm just going off the VIN, I figured the Gold Mine probably wouldn't have changed it out, but there again it was repainted at the dealers so who knows. I'll have to climb back in there and double check, really wish it was up front and not in the back, lol.

5. Stephen67

Stephen67

Here's some pictures, should help make everything easier, lol

[​IMG]
    (That bracked use to go to the pump for the air brakes before they switched it back, the whole truck was used to move a 5,000lb compressor around)
    [​IMG]

Someone stole the original air filter, I was not happy.
    [​IMG]

I also have a video of when I replaced the spark plugs and got it running well, I'll find that and post it for poops and giggles.

What does a '57+ distributor do better than the '56 one in it?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  6. I believe my dad has the original oil bath (air Cleaner) from his 54 Merc. If your interested, let me know.

7. Ok , your pictures tell us you have a Ford Y block - not the big Lincoln which I believe your truck would have left the factory with .

8. Yeah that is a ford Y. Real exhaust, a real carb, and a real distributor in there and it will be a different animal. Converting it to PCV is just a good idea

9. Stephen67

Stephen67

I'd like to put a triple-deuce on it, but by the looks of what I've come across today a lot of what I want to do I need to find people with the parts looking to sell, lol.

With that, dual exhaust and a different distributor (though I'm not sure the issue on that one verse the 56), any ideas about what I would be running? I know it all depends, but ball park figure?

10. Stephen67

Stephen67

Here's the video on it. You can see some of the lag it has when first reving. Hopefully a little carb work will take care of that.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jdPLWYRxZ38" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. OldTC

OldTC

I'm no expert, (there are a few members who are), but if I may; have you thought about leaving it alone and building another one at your leasure. If you really love the sound of the Y or just want to keep one in the truck, (nice truck by the way), drive what you have and look around to buy a 292 or larger Y-block and build it at your leasure.

They're fairly plentiful...and at this time not very expensive to buy, however they need a lot of machine work and some relatively expensive parts to gain any significant torque and/or horsepower improvement.

Dig around the internet and find out as much as you can about them,...start here;
    http://ford-y-block.com/index.html

and here;
    http://yblockguy.com/yblock_001.htm

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  12. OldTC

OldTC

I forgot to mention there are a few Y-Block forums out there where there a lot good information, and a few searches here will yield a wealth of information.

13. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

You might want to look at the casting numbers to see exactly what motor it has as it looks like it has a 4 bbl tea pot carb and I dont think they ever came on a truck since all the ones I seen had a tea pot looking 2 bbl and a governor,the bog might be caused by a bad vacumn advance and those distributors do not have a mechanical advance. What ever motor you have a 57 and up 4 bbl intake and 57 and up distributor along with some rams horn manifolds should help alot.

14. I run a 272 Y-block in an o/t truck. It has a supercharger cam and the high lift rockers. Headers, 289 distributor with advance kit, two (2) autolite 4100 carbs on
    a 357 2x4 intake. The oil pump was shimmed and it now runs 30 psi at idle and 55 cruising. If I was you I would run the 4 bbl intake with a later model 390 or 450 Holley, performance cam and headers. Redo the distributor ( huge difference in response and power), get rid of the cruise-matic vacuum advance system.

15. Stephen67

Stephen67

Thanks for the input :)

Any idea what i could expect to see from swapping those out?

16. RAY With

RAY With

Mine ran great with MSD distributor-3 duce set up with progressive linkage a good set of headers and I did a little port clean up work while the engine was down.I resurfaced the rocker arms and narrowed the tips and shimmed the rockers so they were centered on the valve stem. Over all it was well worth the work

17. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

Just by changing that restrictive exhaust you can get 30-40 more horses. Get a set of ram horns or headers.

18. If your actually looking to drive anywhere, ditch the teapot. My dad had an old quadrajunk laying around and an adapter plate, It really made a difference. He also Got rid of the points and used the pertronix ignitor kit, again, a great improvement. The next thing on the list is to get rid or the stock crossover exhaust.

19. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

As others have said: lose the "Load-A-Matic" distributor, they are junk. I am not a fan of the "Teapot" carb either, (some may disagree). With that few miles on that engine a few mods, as intake and exhaust should serve you well. I expect (as an F-600) it has some outrageous rear gear, so don't expect great mileage or cruising speed. Whatever you do do not sell it, except to me. Maybe paint those massive wheels a creme or mid beige. Great find. Enjoy.

20. slacker1965

slacker1965

you won't get big hp or torque #'s out of one, but you can make them real reliable... I put over 100k on a '58 292 back in the 80's... it had a 2v holley, stock dizzy(pertronix is a nice upgrade) & manifolds.... parts aren't cheap, but are avail. if it has good compression & the oil has been changed so the topend is still getting oil, run it.....
    btw they have mushroom solid lifters, you either have to turn the block upside down to change a cam, or somehow hold the lifters up...mctim used clothespins in bonneville methinks.....
    if you are set on a tri-power, just be patient & search around... I got one w/rebuildable carbs for under $350

21. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

All good suggestions here for your truck. Mild cam, ram horn manifolds or headers & a 57 manifold & dist. biggest bang for the buck. If you go with 3X2 manifold stay away from the Offy. Poor performance. You might lose the Teapot carb asap. Its other nickname is Towering inferno. You might visit the Y-blocksforever site. Lots of good info over there.

22. SleightsburghMC

SleightsburghMC

I was very surprised by how much power is gained by going from the single exhaust with crossover to dual!

23. Stephen67

Stephen67

Well, I'm not looking for huge numbers out of it, but if it can get me in the 300-400 torque range without needing huge mods, it could work for me. I believe stock is 258 torque @2200rpm.

If I can't get what I'm looking out of it, I plan on switching to diesel, probably a 5.9 Cummins. I know those can get a lot more power out of them than what they are factory rated at, but for right now I'm just looking to be in the 300-400 torque range.

24. Stephen67

Stephen67

Anyone have any power estimates?

25. sunbeam

sunbeam

1st replace distributor 57 up. In 57 -59 intake ports got bigger went back in 60 I would find a 60 up intake and carb. I'd pull the valve covers to see if theres oil to the rockers problem in Y blocks.

26. Don't forget , that weighs about 5000 pounds, or more,,,,,,,,,,

27. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

28. Yes he is and there great!

[​IMG]

29. teddyp

teddyp

i have a 58 ford with a 292 60 over a mild cam, g code heads and a 57 manifold with a 600 4 barrel run great guy,s on here and the y-block forever was a big help
    but if you want a lot of power check the one picture (it,s just a joke)

Attached Files:

30. sunbeam

sunbeam

You've got a lot of weight and small cubes if you don't want to put a lot of money in it find a 60s 292 for the distributor and carb and intake for better drive ability.