Register now to get rid of these ads!

We Lost Dan Wheldon of Indy Car In Las Vegas Today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48 Poncho, Oct 16, 2011.

1. bob t!

bob t!
    BANNED

Dan was one of the positives of Indy Car racing he will be missed. R.I.P.

2. #77, R.I.P., Dan, we will miss you......

3. Gator

Gator

Damned shame

4. the other me

the other me

hard to believe....this just sucks. I had the pleasure of metting Dan back in 2005 at Indy. Felow hamber 333 Half Evil had been working security at the track that year and invited me to the race. We met Dan friday evening and spent 20-30 minutes talking with him. He was such a level headed, down to earth man...and had one hell of a sense of humor. He was really quite an incredibly positive person who appreciated everything he had achieved. Sure would have been fun to have been able to chat with him after he had won the 500 that weekend. So sad to hear of his passing...we know that we never know when our time is up....but this is another one who was taken way too soon.

R.I.P. Dan, GOD SPEED.

5. thanks HAMBers for posting....it is a great loss of such a good guy for the sport and his family - he was a good guy....he's now amoung the greats Jaun Fagio,Gram Hill, Bruce McClaron (sorry I don't spell so well) be sure to add some others...

6. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

He was a brother of speed and will be greatly missed. This is such sad news to the racing community. May he rest in peace.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

8. Special Ed

Special Ed

I really didn't need to see those images again, tonight... I'd rather keep the memory of him kissing the bricks on Memorial Day in my head, instead of that... :cool:

9. customs by jason

customs by jason

saw it happen. very sad. prayers go out to his family way to young to go

10. customs by jason

customs by jason

11. Having seen the replay a couple times, on some level we should probably be thankful more drivers were not killed, in fact it seems like no one else was hurt very badly from the reports I've seen. The in-car of Will Power as the car launches and then heads straight into the wall is particularly eerie.

12. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

RIP Dan........

A very sad loss

13. fbama73

fbama73

It was shocking to watch live. It didn't even seem like a real crash- it seemed more like a Hollywood overdramatic CGI of a crash.

The tragic irony is that next year's Indy Cars will have a bumper/fairing behing the rear wheels to try to prevent cars from launching like his did. And he did almost all of the testing on the new car.

As a fan of IndyCar, this just hurts. I can't imagine the anguish felt by his family and friends.

I'm having a drink in his honor- milk.

14. racer67x

racer67x

15. Yes life is too short and not fair at times; remember this when you are driving today; be kind to the other folks in Dan's memory, who knows what that deed will do.......

16. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Very sad.

R.I.P.

17. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My husband and i don't follow the indy races but was going through the channels and saw the crash. Just knew that it wouldn't be good. Watched until they came on to say that he had passed. Couldn't help but tear up on the 5 lap tribute. God bless his family and friends.
    Gasser Girl

18. voodoochili

voodoochili

Prayers go out to his family and friends.....Godspeed Danny Boy! My future son -in -law was the ER Trauma doctor who extracated and worked on Dan....so sad for all....He will be missed!

19. bigalturk1

bigalturk1

Another tragic accident in Auto Racing...RIP.
    I will stand by my thoughts pertaining to Indy & Stock Car Racing,

"TOO MANY CARS ON THE FIELD!!!!!"

20. Red Dragon Racing

Red Dragon Racing
    from Indiana

Prayers for the family.

21. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

very sad for all. the world lost a geuine and good soul yesterday. My thoughts and prayers are with his friends, family and fellow drivers.

22. Any form of automobile racing is inherently laced with the possibility of tragedy,unfortunately it was Dan Wheldons time to pay the ultimate price but he was participating in a sport he loved.

He was one of the good ones and will be missed not only by his family,friends and all the teams involved in the series but a legion of fans.

Danny Boy,,preformed by Eric Clapton http://pl.st/s/473443089

God Speed Dan,,,HRP

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  23. BamaBobAlex

BamaBobAlex
    from Alabama

My Prayers go out to his family and friends also.....Godspeed Danny Boy!

24. Deu55

Deu55

Sad news... He was due to race with Will Power this weekend at the Gold Coast 600 in Queensland Australia...Prayer for his family and love ones...Rod.

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ

25. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

26. shonky

shonky
    from Norfolk UK

R.I.P Dan
    From a fellow Englishman

27. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

RIP Dan Wheldon. The racing world has lost a great one. Tough to watch the replay and see all the images of the accident.

28. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I know fbama will agree that there is a dark cloud and a kicked in the gut feeling around Indy today. There is a hole left in racing that will never be filled. I know were not supposed to ask, but why is it always the GOOD guys that seem to get called home to soon? Better to burn out than to just fade away I guess. R.I.P.

29. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

SAD SAD SAD, and in light of IndyCar CEO Randy Bernardhad trying to raise TV ratings, by offering a $5 million dollar purse , to any NON-INDYCAR driver to prove how high calibar INDYCAR drivers are (but none took the bait, saying it would be crazy to have little or no experience and jump into an INDY car going 225 plus!) But it did bring out many more INDY CAR drivers than alot of the other races. With a field of 34 And on a track that that had not seen INDYCAR and the high speeds that they run NOW in many years. We all know that racing has it dangers, and the risk's we take by doing it, but INDYCAR for having such a race at track that most drivers where complaining that it was going to be to tight to run 3 wide at the speeds they run seems a little crazy just for TV ratings and the almight TV ad money, just stating the facts about this one race.I long for the years when USAC ran INDY and those where some damn good year, INDY has never been the same since! RIP!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  30. tanalised

tanalised

It was a truly mortifying accident
    RIP Dan Wheldon