Register now to get rid of these ads!

is it too late to become a pinstriper?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wrenchmaster, Oct 16, 2011.

1. wrenchmaster

wrenchmaster
    from MA

I am 50 and wonder if it is possible to eventually make it as a striper and sign painter. I took classes way back when I was 19 but got distracted with my job at the time. Then life just progressed and now I look at the box with very old supplies and just wonder. I have a deep interest in the art form and a love for hotrods. I know nothing is stopping me from just picking up the brush but would like to really jump into this. Just not sure even if I develop the skill and technique how much do I have working against me at this age.

Your feedback is appreciated, and I am looking for some inspiration.

Thanks

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

3. It's never too late to do anything if you want to do it,,,also it's never too late to post a introduction,,,:) HRP

4. sledish

sledish

5. Jack60

Jack60
    from Maryland

You can practice on my car, come on down to Maryland..........:D

6. M_S

M_S
    from SoCal

If you think you are too old to start something... then you are correct.

7. subdajj

subdajj

what he said

8. wrenchmaster

wrenchmaster
    from MA

Hey..

I really appreciate your replies.

I feel so strongly that this is something I need to try again. As said
    this is something I tried when I was 19 and never went any where with it.

The determination to practice practice practice I have. What to do to
    create a business with it, I know absolutely nothing about.

Hopefully someone can offer tips on this topic someday.

Again, thanks for being positive.

Charlie

9. wrenchmaster

wrenchmaster
    from MA

Actually, I don't personally feel I'm too old to start. What I don't know is the specifics to learning and time frame it might take. I have plenty of time to dedicate to practice, but not knowing the business practices I can estimate how long it would take to get established.

I feel strongly that this is something I need to revisit at this point in my life.
    At 19 I just didn't have the foresight to see how rewarding this talent might have been.

Thanks

10. 1953girlracer

1953girlracer
    from Redlands

I was past 50 when I started so just go for it.

Sent from chick's iPad using TJJ

11. mtrhead

mtrhead

Go for it !!!!

12. Age has nothing to do with it if you are healthy without some affliction that would affect your work. The only disadvantage is that there is nowhere left to apprentice. When I was young I hung out at sign shops and picked up the tricks of the trade. Those shops no longer exist. Videos will help.

13. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

If you're wanting to learn pinstriping for your own pleasure , it's never to late . However if you're wanting to gain enough craftsmanship skills to be able to establish a business doing professional pinstriping , that may take several years of practice and patience . I say , go for it , you may be one of those rare individuals that is a quick study . Good luck .

14. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

Hell, we can't tell you if it's too late to try! And you won't know until you try it for yourself. If you want to do it, then just go for it ... And live with the results.

15. Depends on how you define "make it".

If you don't try, the answer is: You Never Will.

16. bmock50

bmock50
    from DC KS

I'm 17 and think pinstriping is badass and would love to have the opportunity to learn how to. If I could do it I'm sure you could! Youre going to have a lot more free time on your hands when you retire than i do now!

17. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Age can mess with ya some,at 70 I'm not as smooth as I was,some shakes I don't like making too many redo's,but it never to late to keep trying

18. your never too old,,,,find a mentor at one of the car shows that is displaying his work,,,ask him if you can meet and get a few tips...you may get a great answer-- he may say YES YES! good luck

19. Motornoggin1

Motornoggin1

No reason not to try. I was in the sign business a few years ago. It was a family business and things got strained so I left. I keep wanting to go back to it. I miss the creativity and the variety.

20. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Do a simple test, hold your hand out and see if you can hold it steady without shaking.

A rock steady hand will be your friend, any slight tremor will handicap you a little bit.

I have welding students who struggle because they shake too much.

Not saying they can't weld, or that you would not be able to stripe, just adding a suggestion.

21. Motornoggin1

Motornoggin1

I knew an old sign painter/pin striper that shook so bad he had to have me write out his checks for him when he came to buy paint. He said the tremors were a combination of lead poisoning and alcohol abuse. As soon as he picked up a brush, the tremors went away. He could freehand letters and make long stripes with no problems at all.

22. blinddaddykarno

blinddaddykarno

I'm 54, in the same boat as you, want to do it, used to be a body and paint guy. Recently, did some body work for a few friends, just like I never stopped doing it, in fact maybe better, as old age has brought more patience! I've wanted to pinstripe for years, always came up with excuses not to start; "honeydoo projects", work, kids, whatever. Recently divorced, youngest kid is 17, running out of excuses! I say, do it!! Someone once said, "you miss 100% of the shots you never take" (Wayne Gretzky, I think), and that's right. Time for us old duffers to just do it!! I'm going to! PM me if you want to talk about it or want some moral support!

23. striper

striper

It sure got too late for pinstriping yesterday. First time I've striped a flame job. Man, I covered some miles and burned up some hours.

I've been striping for about 8 years and never made any real money out of it...never really tried. If I ever lost my day job it's probably the direction I'd head.

Paint everything in your garage..then in your friend's garage and by that time someone might notice and start asking you to do work for them. I don't think you can start the business first. You need to do the work and see what comes of it.

Good luck, Pete

24. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

50's the new 49! do it......of course, check with your doctor first.

25. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I say go for it !!

Even if it takes 4 or 5 years to become good enough ... just think ...when you retire from your REAL JOB ... the pin stripe side line business would be a good source of retirement income. :D

26. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

LOL:D
    i say try it!what do ya have to loose? hook up with some R/rod dudes who really don't care WTF their cars look like & practice on theirs-:eek:
    but seriously give it a whirl! i know around here finding any stripers is kinda hard with out paying some BIG $$,i'm trying to get my 15yr old daughter to give it a shot,,age maybe your best asset!

27. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

Why would anybody want to be a Pin Striper!!!??? Must be for all the fame, chicks and big money that rolls in when your a striper!!! Yea, Right!

If you want to give it a try start now, It took me about 5 years to get decent at pinstriping and about 7 years to be OK at lettering. It's about a 10 to 15 year investment of time to get good enough so that other sign guys and stripers won't give your work the stink eye!:cool: When I started, I practiced EVERYDAY for 2 hours for 2 years before I did my first car, you really got to want it!.

I'll pass on some words of wisdom that I got from Big Daddy hisself! He said: Don't stripe for the customer, they don't know whats good or not, stripe for the next stripper that sees that job, becouse they know where to look for all the mistakes! Words to live...or die by. GOOD LUCK

28. lawman

lawman

Welcome to the HAMB.I was 64 years old when I started and after 4 years it still looks like Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder taught me how to stripe !!!!LOL. I have a great time pulling lines even if they are good or bad.Gooo for it.

29. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Agreed, by striping lots of different things you get the feel for angles, curves, up and downhill etc. The more you do, the more experience you get and who knows where the work may come from? Do cars, bikes, toasters, refrigerators, the kids, the family dog etc but just go for it!:D

30. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

I've never made a nickel striping, but have played with it a little on junk for myself...from one beginner to another, if you can get somebody to show you how to mix/thin the paint and trim the brush, you can save yourself many hours of trial and error. Good Luck:D