Register now to get rid of these ads!

Spare Tire Cover Ideas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ferndog1, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Ferndog1

Ferndog1
    from Baltimore

I'm finishing the build on my '35 Ford Tudor Sedan. It's a traditional build and I'm keeping the spare tire mount. I'm running 15" radials and using a 185 for the spare. My original plan was to take two '35 spare tire rings, cut them and make one wider one and then modify the original sidewall cover. I have all the parts I need but now wondering if there is an easier and hence less expensive way of accomplishing the main goal of have a vintage spare tire cover. Wondering if a '50 woodie wagon cover might work or any other 15" wheel.

Any ideas or helpful comments would be greatly appreciated.

2. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I like it whan the spare cover is a match to a very nice inside upholstery,like roll & plate or what ever,but well done

3. baker53

baker53

4. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Simply have a nice vintage drawing, dealer logo, etc. silscreened onto a fabric vinyl spare cover like the cars did in the 20-30s.
    My favorite, a cat with a crooked tail with the words "ain't goin' nowhere, jus' cattin' around". This was actually on the spare of a friend's grandfather's Model A in the late 30s. Wish I had gotten a copy of that picture.

5. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Leave the tire cover, change to bias plies :p

Just kidding, how bout some pictures of the car?

6. 43gman

43gman
    from NC

I went through this with my ’33 Plymouth. First, let me say I don’t like the “look” of radials on an alleged “traditional” car. That said, my aching back and sore old ass doesn’t like the ride on a bias ply, let alone their seeking out every groove and crack in a roadway.

What I started with, (factory 17” bias ply):

[​IMG]

The ’33 got 16” radials, Most fendered cars manages to hide the tread design to a degree, and don’t look too bad. I’m old and cranky enough, anyway, to send any dissenters down the row to look at all the cool early Fords, leaving the lowly Plymton alone. :D

Ugly radials. When I tried to mount a matching spare radial, it really looked weird.:

[​IMG]

I ended up using a 600X16 Firestone bias ply for the spare only. If I ever really NEED a spare and forgot my AAA card, it would work for a short drive, or so I’ve been told on here.

Bias ply, spare only:

[​IMG]

Bias Ply with optional ’33 spare tire cover, (my wife bought me the cover, and although I’m partial to the plain spoke, who’m I to turn down a car gift from my best pal:)

[​IMG]

Hope this helps. GA

7. Ferndog1

Ferndog1
    from Baltimore

Here are a few pics

Attached Files:

8. Ferndog1

Ferndog1
    from Baltimore

I agree, I like the look of bias ply but can't stand the ride. I asked Coker if they had a bias ply look alike in a radial but of course they don't. Good lookin' Plymouth!