Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Morgans 51 chev sedan build up (Australia)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Morgan91, Oct 12, 2011.

1. norton58

norton58

2. Whippet

Whippet

I've done the Hz graft on my '52 and found the track was too wide too, i tried the leyland p76 discs but had to space them out so they didn't foul on the lower arm,wasn't keen on grinding the end of the lower arm to gain clearance because i still have to go through rego yet! To get a reasonable turning circle i had to cut the front wheel arches out and add some radiused flares ( cut from EF falcon front guards), would have been easier to do the jag conversion!

3. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Ah ok, cheers for that. Um my guess was ek Holden but now I'm thinking fc

4. striper

striper

FC it is. FC parkers too.

5. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

The weekends efforts, got the Holden cross member all tacked in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Looks good! Did you graft the front of the FC guard on or just modify the chev guard for the bezel?

7. scottydc

scottydc
    from Waco TX

your car looks great! I love those tail lights.. I wish I would've thought to sink my Jag crossmember into the frame like that!

8. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Your car rocks! I love the stance with the new suspension. Keep the pictures coming.

James

9. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Thanks for a feedback guys. I like the stance aswell, i just have to lower the back a little bit and il
    Be happy with it! The only
    Thing that's going to get me
    Is being able to steer that low, I really dont want to flare the guards because I really like how flat they are when you look down the side of the car and I don't really want to move the wheel arch up but I might have to. Also Been thinking of changing the tail lights to 58 corvette light and mount them onto of the quarter like they are on the vettes. But that will be once I finish the suspension and once the new motor and everything is in and it's driving haha.

10. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

[​IMG]

I took this photo after I took the overrides off the front bar. just thought I'd upload it because I'm bored. I'm at trade school all week so I can't work on the chev which is annoying!

11. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

[​IMG]

Put the front sheet metal back on after I got the cross member tacked in. Found out the holden front end is wider then i thought.

[​IMG]

I have decided to narrow it about 3 -1/2 inches all up. Also I stuffed up a measurement or calculation at some stage and my wheels are about 30mm more forward then they should
    Be so il have to move it back as well which isn't a big deal.

[​IMG]

12. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Got a bit of work done tonight in-between call-outs.

Bolted tranny to a block to set up mounts

[​IMG]

Started marking out and cutting the cross member to narrow the front end.

[​IMG]

Also rang hatfield about some dropped spindles. $770 for a pair so I spose iv gotta find $770 somewhere haha.

13. ausbuick

ausbuick

cool pics man keepem comin
    cheers darren

14. striper

striper

Don't paint them before installing. Trial set up first. They might need some grinding to fit. Just a heads up.

15. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Ah ok thanks dude. Is there anyone els other then hatfield I can get dropped spindles from? It seems no one but him carries them.

16. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Cheers! Should have some more progress pics tomorrow if work dosnt get to busy

17. striper

striper

I don't know. I have them on my car and have had them for 10+ years. No drama other than some clearance issues when first installed. Too long ago to remember exactly what the issue was but it was a minimal amount of grinding.

The thing I was pissed off about was they were already painted. When I called him he told me "Oh yeah, that's normal". What about a little note with the product to let the customer know some work may be required. Rant over. I have to let it go. It was a long time ago.

18. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Yeah allot of his stuff is like that

19. Hahaa been there done that got the same response.

20. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

I got the cross member cut and narrowed today. Took 80mm all up out of the guts of it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fits pretty much spot on now and I have a good 50mm of clearance between the guard and tyre on each side. Just have to move it back and weld it to the frame, I'm hoping that will only take me a few nights then I can start mucking around with shortening my steering rack

21. BadApple

BadApple

Hi , just thought i`d let you know that i fitted a jag front end to my 53 chev and had a similar issue with the width , so i ended up getting a kit from hoppers stoppers that consisted of big commodore dics and callipers and they make a modified stubaxle to narrow the track by 22mm both sides , and then got some rims made offset as well ,
    the only thing is if you run hubcaps they need to have a large centre cone to take the stubb axle bearing housing , cheers Rob

Attached Files:

• 0004.jpg
      0004.jpg
      File size:
      181.2 KB
      Views:
    • 0008.jpg
      0008.jpg
      File size:
      166.9 KB
      Views:
    • 0009.jpg
      0009.jpg
      File size:
      378.4 KB
      Views:
  22. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Cheers dude, the jag front ends are ment to be pretty good for these chevs.

What is that brake booster and master cylinder off? And how have you got your brake pedal mounted?

23. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Also same with the clutch how did you mount that/ what clutch pedal did you use??

24. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Got a fair bit done today in between call-outs. Plated the bottom of the Holden cross member for strength ad also to make it look a bit better. Notched the chassis back a bit further so my wheel would be in the center of the guard. Got the cross member tacked in there, sat the guard on and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, even bottomed out on the bump stops I get full lock without rubbing or fouling on anything.

This is going to be around where il set my ride height.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This will be around the height once i get dropped spindles (once I save up some coin)
    [​IMG]

25. Killer stance my friend . Stay on it .

26. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

[​IMG]

Sat the engine and trans in there today to see how it will all fit. Shouldnt be to much of a hassle to get it in there.

27. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Cheers dude. Im trying to do a bit on it each night after work, it's draining me at the moment tho.

28. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Getting back into the chev after a weekend of not doing a single thing to it. All the front cross member is nearly welded in. Tomorrow night I hope to have it all welded in and start making gussets for it. Got to hot to keep on welding this arvo.

29. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Been pretty slack with updating this thread but that doesn't mean I havent been flat stick on the chev.

Got the gearbox crossmember/mount made and tacked in

[​IMG]

Sat the motor in there

Doing engine mounts at the moment but been pretty busy at work over Xmas and its hot as shit over here so it's been a bit slow.

Just a picture of the chev in a local magazine racing old mate chicken Williams in his 53 olds at chopped rod and custom show!

[​IMG]