Register now to get rid of these ads!

Down side to a barn find:Getting rid of the smell

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51delivery, Oct 15, 2011.

1. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Truthfully here is what I would do ,Carefully remove interior ,Take out and clean thouroughly ,Bissel carpet cleaners work great,After that wire brush and rustoleum floor,Patch if necessary and let dry and reinstall,

2. Fordtudor37

Fordtudor37

Vacuum out as much as you can, then moth ball the hell out of it !

Gave it about 2-3 days then open it up to air it out.

3. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

The APPLE thing works ...

I got a old car that the previous owner smoked a LOT in. SMOKE smell so bad you had to ride with the windows down.

I put a few CUT apples in the floor and changed them every week or so for a month.

You would never know a cigarette was ever lit in the car now.

:)

4. Paul B

Paul B

Had great results with the aerosal can from the auto paint store.

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

GOOD FACE MASK! You don't want to inhale rat piss and shit. I'd be careful were you blow out all the debris.

6. drs47ford

drs47ford
    from Western NY

X3 with the baking soda. Also try some some of those carpet fresh products. It's a powder you sprinkle on the carpets. Let it sit for a while and then vacuum.

7. scottydc

scottydc
    from Waco TX

until you get the smell out throw you some moth balls in there because as long as it stinks its going to be a major attraction for other rodents.

8. slim tempo

slim tempo

Open 23 cans of Dr. Pepper and shake over everything in the interior. Let stand 3-4 weeks, tear out everything and start fresh.

9. Ferndog1

Ferndog1
    from Baltimore

Open a box of moth balls and leave it in there for a while. It's worked for me. Baking soda may work too.

10. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

blood and "spare parts" in vehicle from accident victim's demise, I finished cleaning up what coroner left. <ugh!>

11. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

I did not see any mention of it but if any blowing ,brushing, scraping is going to be done do it in a well ventilated area with a respirator on. The dust from rodents is way more dangerous than you think.

12. good stuff....for the bad stuff....

13. sierra rod shop

sierra rod shop

baking soda and air it out good, after a good clean up.

14. Charcoal... Baking Soda... and then tear out the interior because I've found complete mouse villages including their cemetery's in my seat springs, inside the doors, in the head liner and under the dash.

You'd better wear a fresh respirator mask and don't use Moth Balls not because they are small and hard to cut off of the moths or because they smell bad... but because they are deadly to humans! ( Who would've thought Moth Testicles would be that bad?)

15. tooljunkie

tooljunkie
    from manitoba

Norwex odour eliminator,i find it works really well,had to get rid of funk in a few vehicles.tis last one,the jury is still out,but the interior is going away and getting renewed.

16. 51delivery

51delivery

Thanks for all of the advice. We took the seats out and have cleaned out most of the inside. I am going to try to find a local cleaning service to clean the seat cushions.

17. verde742

verde742

Moth Balls? How do you get their little legs apart?

18. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Yep. Dryer sheets. These will do the trick, if you pull the seats first and delete the nests, as suggested above.
    Use LOTS of dryer sheets. 20 or so. Do it once. It works. (5 days or so)

Plus, you can always use them under the seats...

19. rod rialto

rod rialto
    from rialto, ca

Bust open a container of Summer's Eve Disposable douche, put the stuff in a spray bottle, and spray everything on the inside.