Register now to get rid of these ads!

first manual car you ever drove?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CopperBandit, Jul 24, 2011.

1. silversink

silversink

My 33 ford 3 window in 1959 , I was 13 at the time

2. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I didn't read the whole thread, so somebody may have beat me to the punch on this but the first manual trans.was also the first car I drove. And now approaching age 74, it was about 62 years ago! Not sure if it was a '37 Plymouth or a '39 Chevy that had been converted to floor shift. One was a 2nd car for my parents (the Ply.) The Chev. was owned by the uncle of a friend, who often took us fishing and let all of us drive when we were out in the country.
    Dave

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  3. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

This 37 Chevy p/u when I was about 13,it had no brakes and had about 100 acres to drive on.

Attached Files:

4. smittythejunkman

smittythejunkman

My gram pa's 49 Chevy pickup 3 on the tree when I was 8 or 9 years old.
    my cousins my brother and I covered the interior in bubble gum package hotrod monster decals and beat the tar out of it . that's been 40 plus years ago
    It still has the faded monsters plastered all over
    I wish I could talk my uncle out of it's sitting in a fence row chrome grill corner windows and all

5. MOguy

MOguy

It was my first car, a 1964 Falcon 2 door sedan, 170 with 3 on the tree. I'd paid for it and we were supposed to go get it after dinner, so I ate at lightspeed and started pestering Dad to hurry up. Finally he finished eating, but kept dawdling around till Mom told him to quit tormenting me. So he sent me to the garage to bring in some soda to put in the fridge before we left, and there sat my Falcon! Dad had taken off work a couple hours that afternoon and brought it home before I got home from school.

Anyway, he backed it into the street and gave me my only stickshift lesson. As in, "Here's first, this is second, this is third. Here's reverse. Don't downshift into first while you're moving. [points at the extra pedal] That's the clutch, push it in to shift." (It probably seemed like an extensive lesson to him; he'd taught himself to drive in an Army 2 1/2 ton truck somewhere in Europe during WWII - just pushing things and turning things till he got it to work.) He went back into the house. It took me about an hour to drive the first mile, but the battery and starter were up to the task and nobody was shooting at me.

6. rod rialto

rod rialto
    from rialto, ca

1971 Volkswagen Bus

7. 390Merc

390Merc
    from Indiana

It was either a 61 Impala, 3 on the tree, or dad's 81 Z28 4spd.

8. outlawsteel

outlawsteel

Ha this will always be a great memory for me. Mine was a o/t 80s model dodge ram, nicknamed the turdster because it was a brown peice of s**t. Well you had to drive it with your left foot sideways cause you had to work the clutch and brake with one foot while giving it gas with the other to keep it running. Well first lesson I gave it alittle to much gas and spun up threw the yard and right into a tree lol. My dad laughing the whole time.

9. Growing up on a Farm in the early 50's, I never saw an automatic until I was12 or so. But had been driving at least 4 years by then. Just on our land mostly. Most farm kids drove cars, trucks, tractors, very young. Automatics were rare.My older brother had a 34 ford 2door coach, I put lots of miles on that one on backroads. At 18 I bought a '56 Meteor rideau Victoria. A two door hardtop, and my first automatic. awesome car too.

10. av8

av8

The first car I drove was our 1929 Ford Tudor 'field car' in 1946 when I was nine. It wasn't nearly as much fun as our brand-new 1946 FARMALL B that I drove about a month before the Model A! :)

Mike

11. lordairgtar

lordairgtar

First manual trans I used was on a Ford 9N tractor. I was 8. Did not quite understand the relationship between clutch and brake and shift lever. Stopped the tractor pressing the brake and clutch. Did not shift into neutral and I could not understand why the damned thing kept going after I let up on the clutch again. Ran over the sickle and broke the cutter bar. First car with manual was a 1970 GTO that a guy let me drive when he picked me up hitch hiking in Wyoming years ago.

12. About as off topic as it gets. A 93 vw golf. After I convinced my buddie I knew how I had to figure it out on the spot :)

13. finn

finn

12 years old in 1963. My friend's dad had a 41 Ford pickup. Frequently had to bump start it, as the battery was tired.

Had to grab the door if we hit a pothole or the door would fly open. The cowl was rotted away at the lower hinge.

Great times

14. T_Bird Guy

T_Bird Guy

It was my OT first car which was a 1980 Volkswagen Scirocco.

15. 2tonsfun

2tonsfun

1974 ford 3/4 ton three on the tree . 14 yrs old

16. Al Von

Al Von

'67 VW Beetle. Had to get it home! A very forgiving car.

17. JEM

JEM

My grandfather's Farmall F-20.

Oh wait, you said 'car'.

Can't recall whether it was a '69 Beetle or a Datsun 510 that came first. One or the other.

The 510 was unquestionably a better car, one of the best ever built relative to purchase price, but the Bug was a bit more memorable. And I wouldn't mind having enough land to justify finding myself an F-20 by the time my daughter's old enough to reach the pedals, but that pretty much means bugging out of California.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  18. Red Dragon Racing

Red Dragon Racing
    from Indiana

A friends VW Bug. Late 60's I believe.

19. OldTC

OldTC

1964 El Camino....283/3 sp.

Moved the shifter to the floor put hood pins on it, installed a Krako 8-track and a set of Gabriel Air Shocks over a pair of G-60's. Thought I was really sumpin'.

20. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

1960 Nash Metropolitan when I was 14 years old

21. Newcastlegut

Newcastlegut
    from Benicia,CA

1986 Isuzu Trooper II at my parent's mountain property, then graduated to a 1981 Mercury Lynx when I got my learner's permit. YEEHAW!!

22. Jack60

Jack60
    from Maryland

I was 12 and the VW was a 55 I think, neighbors older brothers car, We used to drive down his driveway into the street, up my driveway, then drive between the yards, back to the start...........:cool:

23. dseale4888

dseale4888

1952 GMC truck scrapping at the town dump when I was 12.
    Dave

24. Normal Norman

Normal Norman
    from Goshen IN.

My big brothers '55 Chevy, 3on da tree. I was 13. N.N

25. tackspitter

tackspitter

15 years old w/1959 Opel station wagon . Private road with a driveway with a good steep hill. Learned clutch,brake ,gas, quick . Haven't seen one of those cars since.

26. 56Mainline

56Mainline

Out in the middle of nowhere on the Mountain Loop Hwy in my buddie's '75 Pinto, maybe had a learner's permit. We treated that thing like a go-cart...cornering with the e-brake, all kinds of stupid stuff...:)

27. Urhur

Urhur

1949 Chevy Fleetline Deluxe four-door, 216 babbit beater and three-speed on the column, of course. I was 15. Our driveway was a little steep, and Dad made me learn how to use the emergency brake to start smoothly on an incline, before he would let me drive the car on the street by myself. Drove it all through high school. At the time, I thought the '49 was not at all cool, since it was a six and a four-door, but now I want another one just like it. What a time that was!

28. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

My dads 67 Econoline delivery van. 6 cyl 3 on the tree. My friends and I would sneak it out on fridays when my mom and dad went bowling. I shattered {shadubie} the shift tube in it throwing power shifts!:eek: BUSTED!!!

29. |Tom|

|Tom|

Poncho-powered Late 'A Tudor...

30. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1931 Model A, bone stock, age 8, on the grandparent's farm. G-pa put several blocks of wood on the pedals, with roofing nails and plumbers tape, and sent me on my way.

We still have it:

Attached Files: