Register now to get rid of these ads!

I'm stuck in "Might as well while I'm at it" mode. I might be insane

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Buzznut, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Buzznut

Buzznut

OK, so now the FRONT group is off my '56 Chevy pickup project ( and yesss, the bed is still off too) and I was going to just swap in the other rebuilt 3" drop front axle that I have been working on and take the old, stock front axle out.

So, I started stripping the frame rails of undercoating and de-rusting them, I've been eyeballing the engine and don't like the chipped and flaking paint and the rust peeking through, and am thinking this is a good time to weld all the firewall holes up. Went and bought semi-gloss black for the frame, and classic Chevy orange for the 327.

Now I'm looking at the bellhousing and not liking how rusty and dirty the underbelly of the cab is looking. Seeing as how we're on the verge of winter I'm considering pulling the engine (temporarily, he said knowing he's full-o-$h!t) and raising the cab long enough to get to the frame rails and the underside of the cab, as well and set it back down on fresh body mounts.

SO, my question is: AM I INSANE!!! What the hell is wrong with me? Can I be stopped? Should I stop myself? How do I convince myself that I don't "really" need to go this far? OR, should I just get it done right and keep on keepin on?...

Help, I need a freakin' psychiatrist....

2. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

sounds like your off to a good start to a new ride. Keep-on keep'in on.........:cool:

3. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

nothing bad about it. If it feels like you should and you don´t, you´ll regret it afterwards. It´s not soo much more work and pait is not too expensive, so while you´re at it, you could.... hahahaha
    I`ve been there a couple of times and I always regreted it afterwards when i too a shortcut...

4. Buzznut

Buzznut

The funny thing about this is that I SWORE I wasn't going to do a frame-off, and here I am doing exactly that. I will have taken the entire thing apart when I'm done. I know it's a good thing, but I feel like it's sort of a compulsion that has the best of me right now...

5. McFly

McFly

Go for it...if it's worth doing, it's worth doing well.

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

Are you going to just paint over the brake lines and wireing or replace that too?

7. I went through this exact same scenario on my 66 C10. Pulled the front end off, did everything you mentioned, and was just about to pull the cab.

In a moment of sanity I opted to degrease the underside of the cab and frame rails with some Simple Green and a power washer all the way to the back bumper. I then shot the undercarriage with satin black Rustoleum out of a quart can with a gun.

Everything came out clean and neat and I was able to get the truck back together without medication.

I'm glad I didn't get in over my head and become discouraged...

8. Buzznut

Buzznut

I have a painless kit that I'm tin-foiling and masking off and I am replacing all brake lines. There won't be any overspray on this project. Every bolt and nut is being replaced systematically and every captive fender and body nut chased. I've spent nearly $300 in nuts and bolts so far...and I'm not even half way there.

The tin foil trick I learned from a body and paint guy who did a lot of engine bay restoration and touch-up. It works great for masking tight areas and sealing off overspray.

9. So then you answered your own question, you're nuts to the tune of $300...

10. Buzznut

Buzznut

LOL... but seriously, so many bolts snapped and there is so much rust and so many broken and damaged threads that I couldn't see not replacing them.

11. mrforddude

mrforddude

You mean you're not supposed to do all of that???

12. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

see my build thread and you'll see the snowball effect.....

just do it

13. I know what you mean, though. Started out to do a driveline swap in my Chevy. Wasn't even going to pull the front clip off. Well, I happened on some better fenders in the meantime, so now the nose is off. While the motor is out I may as well clean it and detail it.. and I got a tranny pan with a drain plug cheap at a show... then I decided to paint some of the frame and firewall and stuff... well, it's still apart weeks later. I bought new bolts for the steering box, since I swapped to a '54 box. And I also happened on replacements for all the body mounts.... which means.... yes, I have to buy a body bolt set.

14. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

If you're not insane, you're on the wrong message board.

Scotty.

15. shag766

shag766

it is an UNCUREABLE affliction that is rampant around my place. just wish the old girl would catch it also.

16. mbmopar

mbmopar
    from Canada

Seeing as how we're on the verge of winter

what are your temps now? Do you have to bring in the paint and freezable items for the winter? Just curious as I was thinking how much I am going to be able to get done before the cold locks in here..... were called for high 40's mid 50's this week for daytime highs and dipping down to below 0 Celsius F2 F overnight. still able to get stuff done, straightened out some oil pan rail yesterday , but after the sun drops, she's nippy!

and it will get colder ! kids will be in parkas for Halloween:D

17. mbmopar

mbmopar
    from Canada

and no, you are NOT insane......you're a HAMB'er , we're here to help :)

18. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

"cling wrap" works good at also masking off odd shaped areas, I save all hardware from parts vehicles, it gives me a lot of speciality hardware and mental security knowing it is automotive grade hardware (even though used) I do however put new hardware in stress areas, i.e. engine internals and suspension points.

19. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

It is great to see some one taking the time to do it right. Nothing worse than a patched up job.
    now get out in the shop and Get R Done.

20. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Face it....you're really smart, dude!
    Once you get past a certain point...it is actually EASIER, and of course, much better, to pull the body, and driveline, and do the work.

If that's insane, I guess I am, too ! (Though lots of non-car people HAVE told me so!)

21. Every winter mine goes down to the frame for some project or another. As I get the money I complete the jobs, plus I just don’t have the patience to the park the truck for years for a complete frame off so I go piece by piece. GO FOR IT

22. Changing your plan after the project starts almost always causes double work and extra cash.
    You should find a better source for bolts, $300.00 so far is nutty.

The earlier you make your decision the better.

Here's a perfect example just last week. OT work van needs some exterior work, body line down, worn hinge pins & a few touch ups everywhere else. Get it all done and owner decides he wants these super heavy duty locks installed and mud-flaps. So not only do I have to lay out and drill holes in the doors I just had off and painted, lowes had the stainless bolts for 7.00 a pair plus stainless nylocks? and washers? ! And I would have had to cut them down to boot. I needed 24 of them. That's 100 @ lowes !!!!!! Call my bolt supply across town and 24 ss 3/8"x 1-1/4 carriage bolts with nylocks and washers was $19.72 tax included. The owner was without his van for an extra day and I had lots of double cause of it and had to do more touch up when a drill bit broke on the mud flap job. Now had the owner not "might as welled" me mit would have been a hell of a lot cheaper and easier for us both.

I'd say anyone who voluntarily does that to themselves must be insane.

23. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I started out to just pull the engine and trans and install some Thunderbolt shock towers. Ended up pulling the whole front clip, stripping everything to bare metal and replacing all brake lines and welding up holes and and and and.....it just never stops but glad I did it right.

24. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If ya don't do it to your own satisfaction, it will but ya like a burr under yer saddle blanket

25. Buzznut

Buzznut

We've hit 40's at night, but this week has been pretty warm...not typical fall weather. The worst part about this time of year is the sun going down just after 6:00...I get no sunlight to work on her after I clock out from the day job. I go into marathon mode on the weekends...get anywhere from 16 to 20 hours in depending in how much running around for parts and supplies I need to do. I have it pretty dialed in though; I spend the week during the day on the phone about half the time looking for parts, ordering, sourcing supplies, etc... so I throw in some personal stuff whenever I can so that when the weekend comes I have enough to keep me going.

My new goal is the beginning of spring...

26. Buzznut

Buzznut

I have to admit that the piece-by-piece purchasing of hardware is KILLING my hot rod fund... At this point I need to just take inventory of what I have and what I need and buy it all at once through my work accounts. BTW: I should clarify that I bought 4 heim joints (sway bar end link assembly) at $18 each, and I had 3 purple stripping discs at $11 each in those "hardware" receipts...so I need to readjust my original claim of $300 down to around $190 or so...

UPDATE: Took the old front axle out and have stripped the leaf springs and rebuilt the spring bushings/shackles and will be bolting in the new disc-equipped front axle this weekend. Also just purchased all new brake lines and will be installing the new '67 Vette master cylinder and brake lines this weekend.

27. I had a car that the more I did the more I found wrong. It started out as replacing the carb, but ended up with the engine in pieces. and the front of the car on blocks. It sucks while your doing it, but if you stop and not finish, you will regret it. At least I did. If you can't drive it right now, then you better make it right so that when it is time to drive it, you CAN drive it.

28. bryan6902

bryan6902

Whats going to drive you even more crazy now is NOT pulling it all apart. You've thought about it, rationalized it and you obviously have the skills to get it done. Nothing worse than going to an event and parking next to some guy who did a killer job on his ride and you don't even want to open your hood. That kind of regret will drive a guy insane.

29. Gator

Gator

Same here, that's why I waited until the last event of the 'season' to even touch my Plymouth, I know one thing always leads to another. I'm very familiar with the 'might as well fix _______ while I've got the ________ off and out of the way' mantra.

30. Grumbler

Grumbler

Happens to me all the time. Don't consider myself insane......just high standards!