Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Bad Blood, 30 colonial cab model A.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kiwijeff, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Big Jon

Big Jon

i am pleased you would use a handsaw very traditional, no power tools

kiwijeff likes this.
  2. I was thinking, West Coast chain saw massacre! Hahaha. :D

[​IMG]

3. I spent a lot of time on the phone this week. I've rung Librarys, Musems, and private guys, including the President of the Pohara collectable car club.
    Im confident something is going to pop up soon.
    In the meantime, a nice helpfull lady from the Richmond Library sent me a couple of old Dairy Factory truck pics. Unfortanatly, none are my Model A, but still cool old history.
    The truck with the workers hanging off it, is a 1921 Ford. :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. More info came through this morning.
    Turns out the Wadsworth family had general stores all over the area. The last one was closed down in 43.
    The phone number 118s, was the Wadsworth number, and Mr Woods who gave me the latest info, used to ring it while courting a Wadsworth girl, whom i think is his wife to this day.
    Now im looking for old photos of the truck, and still looking for info on the Pohara Trader signage.

I was sent this pic of the Pohara cash store from the Takaka Musem today. Its not my truck in this pic either, but i thought id throw it up here anyway. :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
    volvobrynk likes this.
  5. Heres two more pics of the Pohara store around the 1920s . They were sent to me this morning. Still tryin to figure out the Pohara Traders part of the signage, and im getting closer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. Do you have a copy of the movie? It got some pretty good reviews on IMDb.

kiwijeff likes this.
  7. Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  8. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Cool truck.... I'm looking forward to more pictures as it progresses.

kiwijeff likes this.
  9. 23crate

23crate
    from nz

dude cool truck..

wadsworth motors - a bus company over in Tapawera been around since the '20s couldve been a sideline?

oh yeah something i tried on locked up solid 302 ,,, 3 equal parts turpintine , brake fluid , and engine oil.. let it soak in for an hour , then block of wood and a hammer .. took all 8 slugs out in aorund 15 mins,, (after an engine reconditioner gave it back saying he couldnt do it) dont rush it a good solid tap - dont be a nana with it,,, but your not smashin rocks either

luck

volvobrynk and kiwijeff like this.
  10. Thanks, heres an updated pic.

[​IMG]

The Tapawera conection was explored, but no luck, and now im certain its from the Takaka/Pohara area. It seems the Wadsworths had a lot of enterprises in the Able Tasman district.

Im still in no rush to get motor freed up as i still need a few things, so im content to let it sit with diesil and ATF in the bores for now.
    Its only lack of cash thats really holding me up. ;)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  11. I gave Macspeed a call, and ordered my Christmas presents.
    Pics when i get the parts. All im going to say for now, is the parts will have fins. :D

12. Its show n tell time. I started polishing the finned stuff today. Was of half a mind to leave the parts raw, but couldnt help myself. :D

Left side cover raw.

[​IMG]

I think the kid has claimed them for herself. Both sides half polished.

[​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. wow your doing your self very proud ! carfull getting back from the boss, Lol

kiwijeff likes this.
  14. joco

joco

keep up the good work mate, nice rod

Happy new year form the Netherlands

Joe

kiwijeff likes this.
  15. magoo

magoo

In the early 80s,I worked at Standard Motor Bodies in Ebor Street Wellington.This was a division of Colonial Motor Company.They had an old photo on the wall showing a workshop full of model As having commercial bodies built

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. Thanks guys. Today was a quite day, so i decided it was time to pull the sump. No real dramas, just had to go borrow a thin wall socket for back 2 bolts. The oil was used, but not burnt or sludgy, and poured out like i was doing a regular oil change. Got the sump out, and had a nice surprise, it all looks in great order.

[​IMG]

Next i took the water outlet off the side of the engine, and found this....

[​IMG]

I think mice have dragged a lot of crap in there, so i poked as much out as i could, untill i can hit it with compressed air. I also gave both water outlets a tickle with the wire brush.

[​IMG]

And after all that, i started on the manifold bolts, which didnt go easy, and number 4 is stiil in place. The others arnt very flash, and several diffrent sizes, but ill grab some new ones.

17. Another shot of the crank. The red oil is the tranny fluid that ive got in the bores.

[​IMG]

18. sololobo

sololobo

That cab is beautiful in my opinion, I have only seen one other of these rare birds. What a super awesome deal that it did movie time. Good luck and thanx for sharing, really dig it bro. ~sololobo~

kiwijeff likes this.
  19. Thanks sololobo, your the first to say the cab is beautiful. I wanted to chop it so bad when i first got it, but ive decided its to rare to cut up, and im consouling myself with only hot rodding the banger.
    Eventually, ill pass the truck on, and replace it with a hot rod T or A.
    Todays mission is stripping the right side of the engine.

20. Theres always one nut that wont come easy, and the 4th exhaust to block one decided to stay put. Untill today, when i got serious with it and off it came. Got the side plate off, and got another nice surprise. :D

[​IMG]

So on with the bling it was, and then i threw the head and water pump on for a pic or two. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heres a good reason for headers, and twin carbs. ;)

[​IMG]

A nice bit of progress today. Coming up next week, im going to take valves out, and make sure they freed up, then its time to get this thing turning.

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. Heres a better left side pic.

[​IMG]

volvobrynk and kidcampbell71 like this.

22. Oooo, Hot Rod with history, what more could you ask for Jeff. :)

kiwijeff likes this.
  23. kma4444

kma4444

Very cool truck. I really like the looks of it. You're doing a bang up job so far. The internals of that engine look amazing!!!

kiwijeff likes this.
  24. Two hot blonde twins? :D He he, im getting to old for that, so this will have to do. ;)
    I hope your Christmas and New Year went well Gary.

Thanks, it sure was a surprise to see it painted.

25. Looking great Jeff, that motor looks as clean as a whistle. Really good to see someone saving a real piece of Kiwiana.
    Keep up the good work. Jason.

kiwijeff likes this.
  26. Thanks Jason, hadnt thought of it like that. Last week grabbed a can of antique ford engine green, and started getting a few parts cleaned up and painted, while im waiting on sorting the two stuck valves i found.
    Heres a couple of pics of the engine colour. Not as green as i thought, but the can says its the correct colour.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  27. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

kiwijeff rocks

kiwijeff likes this.
  28. Thanks mate, :D
    Heres a pic of the paint im using on the engine. Its an American product, so if anyone wants the details, PM me.

[​IMG]

Also, i got a new bottom water pipe, cowl to radiator bracing rods, and a dipstick in the mail today.

[​IMG]

29. Looking good Jeff.
    Ready for MCM aye... lol

kiwijeff likes this.
  30. Great progress Jeff . Have you tracked down a ford 10 Dizzy yet? used to be the hot ticket for a model A banger ...

kiwijeff likes this.