Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Bad Blood, 30 colonial cab model A.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kiwijeff, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Sure am. May get a chance to play with it later today, but got a few other jobs first.:)

2. Yes, its proberbly the same thing.
    The brakes will have to wait, as i need to buy some better brake rods first.
    And i may as well get new front brakes while im at it.
    Overcast here today, but hope the suns going to show itself....:D

3. gonzos models 133.jpg gonzos models 135.jpg gonzos models 136.jpg gonzos models 137.jpg I spent the afternoon getting the rear backing plates garnet blasted and cleaned up.
    Just got to etch prime them in the morning. :cool:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
    volvobrynk likes this.
  4. RussTee

RussTee

theys lookin good

kiwijeff likes this.
  5. Thanks RussTee.
    Was great to meet your lady and yourself last weekend.

This weekend, i had a small go at freeing up the banger, but its stuck good.

6. gonzos models.jpg gonzos models 141.jpg Acouple of quick pics.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  7. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

lookin good, It'll be good to hear of life in the banger once again!

kiwijeff likes this.
  8. New info on the engine, and its last rebuild is slowly surfacing.
    Ive still had no luck freeing it up, but have some help coming. Things move slowly around these parts.
    Got windscreen out, as i need to replace with legal glass. Otherwise, things have been on a go slow here.

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. Time for a small update. :)
    I've got a new terminal box, to go with the new wiring, some Rimu timber for running boards and small structure pieces that need replacing, and i've been getting some bodywork done.
    The roof/top is in the process of having all the rust cut out, and ive been bare metaling the body, and getting it zinc primed. While stripping the paint on the left side door, i found some old signage, but had already wiped some out when i realised. :eek:
    I still have the other door to go, so im hoping this can help with some history.
    When i looked at the pics of the sign on the computer, i could see another sign under the first one your'll see in the pics. So, i cleaned off the first sign to see the one underneath. :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

volvobrynk and kidcampbell71 like this.
  10. RussTee

RussTee

Its coming up good Jeff my have to do another trip over to have a lookee what are you missing now? Rusty

kiwijeff likes this.
  11. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

That cowl is the same as the USA Mail Trucks and other special bodies from outside body builders who bought cowl and chassis from the Ford Company. Years ago NOS cowls like this turned up at swap meets here in the States.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
    volvobrynk and kiwijeff like this.
  12. Rusty, Your welcome anytime. Im currently looking for an original tail light, but will go repop if i can't find one, and also looking for two steel rear fenders. Theres been a few on trade me, but nothing i wanted. :)

Pasadenahotrod, They were called "knock downs, and were sent out to the colonies with the cowls but minus the bodies, which were built by local coachbuilders.
    I like to think i own the uglyest model A truck on the hamb. lol. :D

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Neat Ol' truck....I like it.
    And I like your idea for it too.
    Good luck! Keep us in Pics...
    Cheers.........

kiwijeff likes this.
  14. Lookin good..... sits too high though:D:):D

kiwijeff likes this.
  15. Good progress man. Derek T is good value isn't he? He's supplied a lot of stuff for my build, and he's a mine of information.

kiwijeff likes this.
  16. Thanks, more pics coming up.

Sits way to high, i can see reversed front spring eyes and 16s on it, but it still may be to high....:D

Thanks, i should be moving faster though, so i've been busy garnet blasting the water pump today, and made an interesting discovery. Your'll see it in the pics. Derek (quickchange on hamb) sure is good value. Hes my choice for everything model A, and a damn good bloke. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Im sure this fix works just fine, and maybe did for some time. With the ease of getting parts nowdays, i'll be replacing this. :D

17. kiwijeff likes this.
  18. He's another good bloke, very helpful.

kiwijeff likes this.
  19. He sure is. I love that truck of his, and have brought one of his items before. Next on the list will be a finned side plate.
    Not sure if i'll use og water pump, or go with the upgrade.

Heres the sign with a little more rubbed off. :D

[​IMG]

20. Sheeeuuuwt man , will you rub some more off already !

kiwijeff likes this.
  21. Kiwijeff,you figured out that signage yet?Great project youve got there.Graeme at macspeed is a top bloke,awsome fabricator and really knows his model A's.Heres a little bit of memorabilia from the Colonial Motor Company Ltd,a little before your model ,thought you mind find these interesting. Russ

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  22. Russ, i've got the first figured out, as you will see in the pic. This is the drivers door, and theres still a bit to uncover.
    So the first sign says Wadsworth, but i havent gotten any further. It takes some time to cut through 8 layers of paint. Yep, 8 layers. Im glad i wasn't born before the 60s, or id be thinking i was having some kind of psycodelic flashback. Theres nearly every colour you can think of. :eek:
    Thanks for the Colonial Motor Company stuff. I love this type of history.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
    volvobrynk likes this.
  23. Heres a shot of the top of drivers door uncovered, and some new parts i picked up. Rad hoses and rear spring u bolts.
    I've been getting this thing in a coat of zinc primer.

[​IMG]

I've found a little more yellow paint above the louvers, which could be more signage. Thats why i haven't stripped the paint off yet. I'll do it slowly, in case theres more to uncover.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  24. Big Jon

Big Jon

keep up the great work mate, getting there

kiwijeff likes this.
  25. Thanks Jon, Im having a blast. Getting a lot more done with longer daylight hours.
    Heres my shiney new hoses and u bolts.

[​IMG]

26. Great to see the progress Jeff. Lookin good;)

kiwijeff likes this.
  27. Thanks Chris, i've been spending lots of time in the garage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. I didn't have any cutting discs left, so i used a grinding disc to cut the welded u bolt off. Took a little longer, and the new u bolts went straight on.

[​IMG]

I have uncovered about all that im going to, on the drivers door first sign.

[​IMG]

And heres my new Rimu (native New Zealand wood) running boards ready to be cut to size.

[​IMG]

29. Big Jon

Big Jon

Hey Jeff

Adding rimu and no roof chop, It should be called a tallboy (isn't that a name for a tall set of wooden furniture) LOL

You should come south , i might make some progress

Jonno

kiwijeff likes this.
  30. :D a chop is only a handsaw away........

volvobrynk likes this.