Register now to get rid of these ads!

Found a 1948 Chevrolet Gasser looking for opinions.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kustchops, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Hey all I picked up a 1948 Chevrolet coupe old Gasser, I would call it a field find cause that is where it sat since 1970. It has a posi, straight axle, original black paint used to have a small block and four speed. I wont have pics for a week or so too tight where it is stored. I really want to do a custom and its got a nice body a little cheesy on the trunk lid edge other wise pretty nice, chrome window frames and stuff. Should I leave it a gasser it was built and run on the streets in 62, I know the history it was never a full time track terror but a memorable car in its day. Or do I chop it and knock it to its knee's and tail dragg it. Anyone have a good pic of a 46/48 Chevrolet gasser? I don't need opinions anymore, It will stay a gasser.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  2. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Leave it a gasser, but I'm biased. :)

3. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

Here's Larry Fators Delivery. It's been like this since back in the 60's. Personally, I would leave it with the gasser look, and find another coupe to start with if that isn't the style you want. I would bet there are LOTS of guys who would swap you a non-gasser coupe if that was your preference.

[​IMG]

4. n847

n847

Agreed gasser use a stocker for a custom!

5. 32 hudson

32 hudson

Gasser style street machine !!

6. waterhorse

waterhorse

One word, GASSER

Greg

7. Whatever you do DO NOT make it all show and no go, even if you decide custom is the route you want to take with it. Too damned many cars on here where paint and polish is the emphasis. Even a custom should get with it when necessary.

That is not to say neglect the finish, just don't forget the go part of the equation.

8. Gasser! Gasser! Gasser! Gasser! Gasser! Gasser! Gasser! Gasser! Gasser! Gasser! Gasser! Gasser! Gasser! Gasser! Gasser! Gasser! Gasser! Gasser! Gasser! Gasser! Gasser! Gasser! Gasser! Gasser! Gasser! Gasser! Gasser! Gasser! Gasser! Gasser!

And let's see some pics!

Klaus

9. Never thought of that, I should just swap for another coupe. It doesn't have the nose a mile high or the wheel wells cut out, but definitely looks like a street racer. At least all the paint is original black, though I hate patina I would leave it that way. I guess I might put a rumpity engine in it and run it down the street once and trade it for what I really want. I will update this post next week when its home, luckily its only a short trip from my house.

10. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Ditto! Maybe you can find someone around town who has pics of this car from back in the day. Seems like a shame to strip away all that gives the car its character.

11. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

I guess I'll be the devil's advocate and say custom :D

12. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Hey Kustchops, when you get to the car take a picture from the side and I'll photoshop it for you if you want.

13. Cant wait to get it home and clean it out, car has all chrome garnish moldings pitted of course, small block Hurst mounted, 57 Chev cast bell housing, it was a swank car in its day black button seats and doors panels, white and black piping headliner, filled hood, 55 Chev pedal assy. Updates when its in the driveway getting scrubbed.

Attached Files:

14. 1954OldsHoliday

1954OldsHoliday

If you like the way it looks now, run it. If you don't, modify it (and hi to a fellow Portlander)...it's a nice find either way. Good luck.

15. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

Cool find for sure! I would do it up the way it was when it was fresh. Seems like a lot is there, and you have some history. I think its way cooler as a gasser, trade it out if you end up disliking it

16. I like toast with my eggs.

17. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

while I like these cars as Bombs, I would say leave yours as it is. It's already a veteran gasser from the the 70s.

18. Jon SSS

Jon SSS

This is some inspiration for my '50 Chebby Gasser build. Is that motor set back a little. I like the motor mounts with the rubber grommets, slick. Good on 'ya.

19. Yep use a 57 ish truck bell housing with the side mounts and the 55 57 pedals and linkage from the looks of it. Makes for a good old school setup two front mounts and two rear, fairly stout.

20. mtrhead

mtrhead

Gasser for sure!!! Sounds way to cool to change... Can't wait to see some pictures..

21. 66Coronet440

66Coronet440

That thing looks sick, I would definitely leave it as a gasser. You can't put a price tag on history.

22. biscaynes

biscaynes

yep, gasser and more pictures! :)

23. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Gasser!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Pm me when you start your build! I want to watch.

25. mt94ss

mt94ss

GASSER!!!! Can't wait to see the build.

26. Croaker

Croaker
    from Kansas Ks

leave it gasser ! iwould find pictures from the day and fix it up just like that!

27. wheels777

wheels777
    from York, PA

28. Chevy55

Chevy55
    from Nebraska

Gasser, Save the history of the car.

29. Finally got it home, last registered in 1970. The car is better than I thought, rusty rear body and a few weak spots on the floor. I cant wait to bread out the comet and knock the fuzz off of it.

Attached Files:

30. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

"bread out the comet"...??? For those of us that aren't up on the latest vernacular, please explain this...

R-