Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Model A/I6. What do you think??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Moldy1956, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Moldy1956

Moldy1956

I am getting the parts rounded up to build my '29 Model A Coupe. I got the body for free sitting out in the woods in Central Nebraska. The price was right!! What I want to build is a traditional A/V8, but this is a low budget build. Basically a Rat Rod but i hate that term. I have a 1956 Ford 223ci I6 laying around with a 3spd od tranny. I want to run all pre '60s parts and i thought this would be DIFFERENT! Let me know what all of you HAMBers think of this idea. If i don't spend the money on a flathead I can get this car on the road for about $3000 i'm hoping.

2. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

We hate the term around here, too. Think about what you're about to do.

Longer frame? Push that radiator forward that much and it'll have that 'R-R' look for sure.

Tunneled firewall? You can only push yourself back as far as you can get eliminating the package tray.

3. B Blue

B Blue

Build it and do a good job of making what you want. Sounds great to me. Cheaply acquired parts do not make it a RR, quality of build does.

Bill

4. Sounds bitchen to me. Not a whole bunch of people running that inline ohv ford 6. Good luck on your 3000 goal. With the price of hardware, welding gas and rod, grinding wheels etc. you can easily say goodbye to half that 3g mark. I say go for it l6 though!

5. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Lot of parts are available for that engine - on the cheap - I ran one as a kid when i had nothing else - ditch the distrubutor as soon as you can - its all vaccum. BUild it for you not the world. You are riding in it - not them. You are in America- the fed has not outlawed that choice yet. Better get finished before they do.

6. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

L-head sixes are awesome. I've got one in my '53 Desoto. In 1953 the chrysler/desoto 251 flathead six was putting out more HP than the 'Merc flathead v8. Just some food for thought. Shave the head to boost the compression, split the stock exhaust manifold, you can still run multi-carb intakes.

You said you got the body free, wheres the frame? Don't have one? Build your own, problem solved. It won't look out of proportion just because your adding about 7-8 inches, as long as everything is tuckin in nicely I'd say your golden.

Run the six!

7. F&J

F&J

Like Mike said, the motor is just too long to keep it looking like an A. It won't look right. A motor that would be very cool would be the very early Chevy II 4 cylinder, and it should fit nice....and will be real different.

8. Moldy1956

Moldy1956

You guys are all great! Wasn't sure how people would respond to the I6. I am a pure FORD guy and this car will have 100% Henry parts in her. Thanks for the chevy engine ideas, but not going that route.

9. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

I was going to use a 223 in my old Model A Pickup until I got a deal on a Y-Block. Now I'm gathering parts to build an early front engine dragster powered by a 223.