Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Anyone recognize this car from OCIR? And NO it's not Bebee and Mulligan
    [​IMG]

2. WCD

WCD

I was thinking maybe Jack Williams from San Diego. But I think his Byron Racing Spl. was yellow. Hmmmmmm

3. rick finch

rick finch

I think you stumped the band on this one Don. Been trying to remember all the green cars other than B & M....the Jade Grenade, Ron Rolstad's Green Dragon from Seattle, I don't think there were many.

4. ChassisResearchKid

ChassisResearchKid
    from Michigan

Logghe?

5. Cyr & Hopper, Pomona, 1959.

[​IMG]

6. Kenny Lindley's Miss-Fire II, Pomona, 1959.

[​IMG]

7. Dick Guyette's Isky Clown, Pomona, 1959.

[​IMG]

8. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

A lot of Indy car influence found in the styling of the last 2 above.
    Compare to the no frills CR dragster technology. 2 entirely different schools of design.
    Tom S.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  9. rooman

rooman

With those four long radius rods I would think that the car is a Long if that helps.

Roo

10. The two full bodied cars had been around for some time, and were from an earlier era in drag racing. The Cyr & Hopper Chassis Research car was brand new, and represented the new thinking that lighter meant quicker.

11. can't be B&M cuz this was taken in 71 or 72 and John died in 69. The Jade Grenade of Asher, Fluer, Stewart & Summers was All green - this one has some yellow. Not Larry Payne's Gang Green either and no full rear body, so not Poison Ivy or The Bushwacker.
    Keep diggin guys - someone will recognize it

12. 383man

383man
    from Md

13. TwinTownTerror

TwinTownTerror
    from Minnesota

14. Pretty sure it says "something" & WILLIAMS ~ any help?

15. Did Motta & Williams run a digger? The paint kinda looks like their Challenger funny car....

16. Motes & Williams had a twin Chrysler digger, but that not this (it was Red)

17. OK, Looks like it is the Bob & Fran Williams AA/FD

18. 296ardun

296ardun

There was a guy whose name I have forgotten who ran a green digger, no. 13, and called it "Superstition," was from Northern California....ran Fremont, Half Moon Bay, etc...anybody remember it?

19. 408 AA/D

408 AA/D

I agree Roo it does look like a Long car with the long dual radius rods and the single up-right.

The only other Williams that I remember was when Jackie Peebles was teamed with Dickie Williams, they did run Long cars but never anything green that I remember.

20. Wasn't talking about Motes & Williams, but Motta & Williamson (had that wrong):
    [​IMG]
    I know Williamson was part of the Hairy Canary team, but didn't know if they had any digger history. Just throwin' stuff out there...

21. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

I also noted the later more efficient top mounted blower that came about with industrial drive belt technology, in lieu of chains and automotive v-belting.
    Curious, around what year would the 2 full body cars have been engineered and built? Would these have run on the salt also?
    Thank you Dean; Tom S. in Tn.

22. Not sure when these cars were built. They were running when I first went to the drags in '58. I don't believe either one ever saw anything but pavement. Dick Guyette did build another car that used a rear engine blown SBC. Te ran that one at El Mirage and on the 1/2 mile at Riverside.

23. WCD

WCD

Funny (no pun intended) how the rear engine approach never worked out for the FC's, save for Dunn & Reath. This car struggled like all the others. As for Motta & Williamson, I dont think they were digger guys, pretty much coupes in the beginning and concluding with floppers both nitro and alky

dearjose likes this.
  24. mgrant

mgrant
    from Austin, TX

I started posting these photos that my dad shot in the early 60s in the main forum and it was suggested that they'd be better as attachments to this thread. So, here they are.

Attached Files:

25. mgrant

mgrant
    from Austin, TX

Here's some more of my dad's photos. Probably from Riverside in 60 or 61.

Attached Files:

26. Sure looks like a young Hayden Proffitt standing to right of the twin car. Great to see fresh original photo's especially "pit action" without corporate logo's.

27. mgrant

mgrant
    from Austin, TX

Some more. I like the protective headgear the starter is wearing.

Attached Files:

28. c57heaven

c57heaven

great pics. Thanks. Those sure are some clear vivid photos!

29. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

wonderful photos. You dad had a terrific camera, very good quality, focus...very nice....any idea what he was using for a camera?
    He had a good eye, too.

30. mgrant

mgrant
    from Austin, TX

He used an Argus 35mm camera and Kodachrome film. Some of the photos have turned red, but by making them black and white they look okay. I was real surprised that most of these slides are so good after 50 years of being in an attic in Southern Cal.

Here are some shots of an experiment with 4 wheel drive.

Attached Files: