Register now to get rid of these ads!

Magnets thoughts on Pileup #10

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by magnet, Oct 11, 2011.

1. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

There is no way a post about the HCPU should contain any negativity. I've been around awhile (67 years old and built my first hot rod at 14 years old (1958) and have participated at every level of car crafting save for the "gold chainer" status (lack of big bucks does limit you). The guys and gals that put this deal on deserve only the highest of praises for taking a noble idea and running with it for 10 years. The 6 that I was able to attend will remain the high water mark for car related events.
    So, congratulations Czars, you done good.

Frank

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  2. inlinr6

inlinr6

Thx,for a great show Czars and volunteers,I had a great time,and was lucky to go to 6 of the 10 HCPU's,and changed my views of car shows and what they are (should) be about.Thx for a great decade!

3. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

EXACTLY
    Corporate shows will always have their place........
    and the people that support those shows may not "get" what we are doing. That is fine.
    The bottom line for our events - FUN.
    If you are here for any other reason - then you should try something else.
    Fun in friendship, hot rods/kustoms, art, and music.
    It all goes together in my book. And those that are not into this scene or cant understand it - can stay home. Or go to a "normal" Good Guys type event.
    We have our fun and friends - they have thiers.
    If some people can be appreciative of both - then that is cool too.
    I know Jetter has a great time at the KKOA. And that is a FUN show.
    If KIRK! had said the same things that Jetter has said.....would people come down as hard?
    KIRK! has changed the way many of us think about car shows with his Billetproof format. This is a good thing. He now uses his talents for Good Guys.
    Good for him.
    I wanna get paid one of these days too.....
    is Good Guys hiring?
    ha
    right now I am working for Mecum - a total Gold Chainer crowd to the Nth degree....
    some of the customers there are a bit snooty - but 90% are gearheads - and they just have a different perception of what is "cool".

The Czars have perfected the way a show should run - thanks to the tireless efforts of DW and the Red Shirt Army.......

Hellfish has helped me personally in COUNTLESS ways.

Czars are the real deal and not afraid to help others out.

I will seeya at the Hunnert Heads Up.

Just in case anyone thought the Czars were going off to the old folks home..........
    rumor is.......
    they are working on some super secret - super fast drag car to be unveiled at the Heads Up in June at Union Grove WI.

Czars Rule.
    Red Shirt Army kicked ass and took names.

4. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Well said John. I have a good time with Roger and his brother Dan at Salina every year. Real car guys who build their own rides. I don't want to see him misunderstood. His opinion counts too. I like all cars and all events or at least parts of them---I plan on helping you at your Torque Fest show in the spring if I can.

5. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

The best thing ya'll did was follow your vision from the start. You guys had a plan and went with it against grain plus bring music along with the old traditional cars. I feel it was the music that added the extra or X factor. It brought alot more folks to the show and added more folks to love our hobby and pasion. You guys set a new level for others to follow no matter were they stand in dollars or ??

Wow you said it just like it is, it should be freinds first cars second and then music . I think this was tied for pileup 1 and to me it had the same feel. it was good to see the lots or freinds and you guys relax a bit and have fun like it was in number 1 thank you for all your hard work

6. Irish Dan

Irish Dan

Kudoes to you & your club Magnet! I salute all of you for your sterling efforts these last ten years. Thanks for the millions of good memories generated by this event due to you & yours. It's been a GREAT run!

7. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

Sir, I know why I think corporate shows suck ass, but I was looking for you to list a few reasons why you feel that corporate shows do not suck. Did I miss them?

8. TomH

TomH

I have attended five of the ten shows, volunteered and worked 4 of them. It's a 2000 mile round trip, a long ways to drive for a one day show. Like other have said it has a vibe that others do not have. That's why I attended.

This year at the Red Shirt meeting Magnet walked up to everyone of us, looked you in the eyes, shook your hand and thanked you for your help. Made you feel appreciated.

9. magnet

magnet

I think we are done with the corp suck/no suck discussion.. everyone has an opinion.. they were stated.. thats good.

So some people may be sick of the "hug fest" online about the pileup... but to all of us that worked on it.. or participated over the years.. which is a considerable number.. its more than just a show.. its like a family event or a political movement. In a way its a revolution.. traditional hot rodding.. punk as fuck.. anti-establishment.. anti-gold chainer.. anti everything that the car world was 10 years ago.. 5 years even.

And it has changed the automotive world.

Tell me it hasn't.. a freaking Tucker.. 1.2 million dollar car waited till the afternoon and snuck into the show. Actually drove in.. and parked in the dirt gravel and grass.

What does that really mean?... think about it... why?

Look at the current trends.. the magazines.. the advertisements.. the cars guys are building..the parts they are buying.

Just look at all the people that flocked to traditional hot rodding.. all the muscle car/classic car people that now call themselves traditonal hot rodders. Heck, they are all automotive enthusiasts.. and I love them for that.. but they rained on our parade. Our parade.. original traditional hot rodders.

Thats why we all get so emotional about it.

But whatever.. the next trend will come along.. maybe it will go back to 70's boats..or 80's tech cars/monochomatic.. whatever.. let it happen. The corp shows will go along with that trend, follow the money, whatever it may be. But traditional hot rod clubs.. will still be having their shows.. and some of us that “get it”.. will be there.

I hope many of you will be with us.

Anyway.

I am looking forward to doing a little work on my shoebox this winter.. found a place to store my 62.. so i will have a spot open for swinging hammers and making sparks.

I am going to sell off a bunch of crap thats in the way in my garage.. make some space.. so keep an eye on the classifieds.

Thanks guys.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  10. I won't ad to the discussion regarding charatible shows VS corporate shows but I'd truly like to attend the pile-up one year soon...sounds like a great time to me.

11. Ratrod37

Ratrod37

Code:

Yea I second the ban Rat Rodz.If you guys didn't want me and Ed to come there from NY you could have just asked us not to come instead of canceling the show.The moving to Decateur hint didn't work.Next year around this time me and Ed are coming to your house Magnet,you can't get rid of us that easy!!!! We might bring some Lone Star!!!

12. Rocky, this was THE LAST show.:rolleyes::D

13. magnet

magnet

You guys are more than welcome any time.. i have a spare room with a nice bed so you guys can spoon.

Sorry i didn't get much time to hang out with ya.

14. TomH

TomH

I'm glad Kevin ( or whoever was at the gate ) let that one in. “ no stock cars allowed “ Sometimes rules NEED to be broken!!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  15. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I am glad the Pileup is over...now Hotrodeo won't invade the Midwest in October. At least this time he brought his spoon-buddy with him.

16. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Well, the Tucker had a wheel change and a visor, so it wasn't completely stock! When I was told about it, after the shock wore off, my first question was how did it get in?? :D It was really bad ass. I had never heard one running before either.

There's not much more to be said really that hasn't been already said. This was my 9th Pileup as a club member but my 10th show. I knew 2 people at the first show. It was pretty incredible. The first two shows will always be legend. Like I said, the show ending as it has is as punk rock as the first show. That's pretty cool when you think about how the show has evolved. The quality of the cars this year was amazing. Like Hellfish said, I would put this one right up there with #1 and #2. It was really special. You could feel it in the air.

I would like to thank my fellow club brothers, and all of our significant others for continually kicking ass on the show. DW and Brian were great too. The Red Shirt Army... what else can we say... the show would not be possible without their dedication.

I've wanted to do this RSA design for about 3 years, but never had the time. So this year I had to MAKE the time.

[​IMG]

I worked all summer on the poster in any free time I could scrounge. I'm glad people liked them! We still have some left, so if anyone is interested I will be selling them. We have some hoodies left over too, so as soon as we know how we're going to handle that, we'll let you know.

Thank you everyone who has supported us for the last 10 years. I'm proud to have been a part of it. I am hopeful that the Heads Up can blossom into something equally as inspiring. The Fugitives are certainly inspiring with the Meltdown and I'm proud that we are working together to keep vintage drag racing alive. Because of the Pileup and the HAMB, I have made friends all across the country, and I'm not alone. That is pretty awesome.

And as Magnet said, I'm definitely looking forward to getting back to hanging out as a club, drinking beer, turning wrenches, and teaching our kids about hot rods.

17. Traditional, Stock or not; how the HELL could anyone turn away a Tucker? That car was amazing!!!

I was talking with Bill Biermann from Creative Customs as we walked around the car. I asked Bill if he could improve on the Tucker. He said he would have trouble cutting that one. :D "Gimme a Split-window Corvette: no problem. But no one can cut up a Tucker!"

I've attended car events all over the midwest for over 40 years. NEVER, ANYWHERE have I seen another one. Another HCPU Milestone! :cool:

One more time: CONGRATS and THANK YOU to the Czars for a GREAT RUN!

18. Ratrod37

Ratrod37

No spooning here.No forking either.I know we will find some other Midwest show to crash. Symco maybe ??? Is Wisconsin the Midwest? I might spoon for a ride in a Willys but I have to be the back spoon! :eek:

19. KIRK!

KIRK!

I like watermelon.

20. Ratrod37

Ratrod37

seedless???

21. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

With a name like Ratrod37, your chances of getting parked inside the grounds at Symco are very poor. But you are welcome to park in the VIP area and party and have a good time with everyone. Just be fore-warned its a long way from NY if getting into the actual show is important to you.

22. Ratrod37

Ratrod37

Me and Ed already talked too someone about if we could get into the show.If we can't he told us the VIP area is close to the show.I have no problem parking in the VIP area. At least my "Ratrod" will be driven the 900+ miles each way.I can hold my head up proud as I pass all the trailered traditional cars that get into the show.You guys know who you are!! :)

23. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

That, sir, is the best response ever and I respect that more than you know!

For what it's worth, we have guys in our own club who can't get into the show and park in the VIP area. They party and have a hell of a good time. You can usually tell which cars they are because Sunday morning, they are the only cars left in the VIP area and the owners are passed out somewhere in the show grounds! haha.

24. Cadillac Bob

Cadillac Bob
    from The Region

Chris50 and I let that Tucker in - Plowboy said it was heavily modified - I said "As long as we have a voucher"

Later standing around with some folks, the Tucker was leaving with a Kaiser Fraiser following it - Shoebox Dave said "Those Fraisers are pretty rare"....

silent rick likes this.
  25. Ratrod37

Ratrod37

Some people may not like this but for me the cars are second to the people.I have gone to many great shows, found some good friends and missed the whole show because I was having such a good time.That's when the HAMB is great because I get to see pics of the cars I missed. I hope to get to Symco next year. :)

26. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I think many folks agree. I found it particularly interesting that this was a reason to discontinue the Pileup. "it is becoming more about the spectators ..." if I remember correctly. But not my call to make.

27. 427c.i.

427c.i.

As Django said "The show ended as punk rock as it began". That makes me PROUD.

Kinda sums the whole deal up...

28. Well all I can say thank you to the czars and DW for putting on the most traditonal show I have ever been to.
    Well if you think about this when was the last time you saw an authentic stone woods and cook car outside in the fresh air or a tucker that was driven for me never to have two cars at the last pile up was just over the top thank you everybody
    Bob dont be mad that you wont get to see my smiling face till detroit cause we will be at torquefest and symco im sure I will ruin your fun at one of those places
    As for magnet I will have lonestar next time I see you.
    just remember tom im on top hahaha

29. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

you always make me smile Ed! But I won't see you at Symco

30. NiteOwlChris

NiteOwlChris

I can't wait for the 70s boat show