Register now to get rid of these ads!

got the 390 in my merc!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MERRELL, Oct 10, 2011.

1. MERRELL

MERRELL

IMG_2507.jpg let me know what you think,never posted pics hope this works:confused:

2. raidmagic

raidmagic

That looks great in there.

3. petew

petew
    from Mebane, NC

Looks like it belongs there. Is the car a 55 or 56 ? And does the 390 bolt up to the stock Y block mounts ?

4. MERRELL

MERRELL

its a 56 2dr hardtop,and yes it bolts right up to the stock y block mounts,just had to add 1/4 in. plates to raise it a little so the 63 t bird manifolds would clear the upper control arms and steering box,its .060 over with a mild cam and a old offy 360 manifold,the valve covers are 62 or 63 mercury powder coated chrome.

5. 390Merc

390Merc
    from Indiana

Thats a great looking FE ya got there! I know some header company's used to make header kits for such engine swaps. I have a set of adapters that enables one to install a set of headers originally for a y-block application to be used on an FE swap in 57 Fords and whatever other years they would fit. They bolt to the FE head and the header would then bolt to the adapter plate. Pretty cool idea but I've never seen such a thing in a real life installation.

Sage Youngblutt likes this.
  6. rdtreur

rdtreur

Looks great, nice to see I'm not the only fool who painted his FE gold!!!
    [​IMG]

Please tell me more on your build and how the offenhauser 360 runs on your FE.

7. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Now there's an OHV swap I like!

8. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

No your not, a few of us are silly enough to do that. Here is my 352.
    [​IMG]

9. MERRELL

MERRELL

those are a couple of sweet FE's!

10. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Looking nice!
    Yup,my buddy Tim had one that we put together many years back,got lucky and found a wrecked FE 390 when they were new,here's a little ture story for you and the others that read here,hope ya enjoy it;

The Midnite drags in Miami 1962
    by Dana Barlow

Miami/Homestead,1962,we're at the sat nite midnites with about 30+ rods and sleepers[=cars that look fairly stock,but are not] plus maybe 50 others came to see,out on south Chrome Ave,just farm feilds[pole beans this time of year,1960's each side of the road. This nite the cops had set up sneek raid on the midnite drags. Well when the coppers poped there trap, showed from out of a dirt farm road and closed off the north end real fast=were you ended up after a run running north. They knew they had the racers boxed in!
    We were in Tim Liard's "Blue Spook" 55 ford/1961 390 FE packed into it.and about 1/2 way in our run,Tim sees the cop lights flashing way up ahead as they block off the road and he slows a little and makes a right turn into a pole bean field,bean's and sticks going up over the car like mad and he's holding speed above 50 anyway as we're cuting that field and wondering if we're gunna fine a drainage canal or well pipe,but kept cutting that field for what seemed like a mile+ tel we found a dirt farm road and head south,came out after a lot of wondering around kind of near A&W US1,stoped and cleaned sticks and beans off and out of the Spook so we could go on over and into A&W with out looking like were we'ed been.
    Ya some cops came in about 10min. later looking at all the car there as they drove slowly by,fewwee! we cleared there eyeballing ,no beans showen.
    The news paper said next day they got 5 drag racers,but no talk about that there were about 30 racers there,HA

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  11. Jeff Walker

Jeff Walker

Looks good! How 'bout some of the car!:D