Register now to get rid of these ads!

1950 Chevy + 350 -700R4- 70 nova rear.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GREASER815, Oct 11, 2011.

1. GREASER815

GREASER815

So, I have run my 1950 all summer with the 216. I am tired of going 55 and getting passed by everyone else all day long. I have a 350, a 700R4, and a 10 bolt out of a 1970 Nova. What is the absolut best route to go with mounts. I have seen abunch off different stuff, ranging all over in price. What are the majority of you running. Speedway sells a neat lookng setup with a front plate and vertical mounts, others are more typical side mounts. I would like to run headers, what do the majority do for exhaust. I have a driveable car right now. Ido not want to disable it and get into a major project and have no car in the spring. Just trying to be as prepared as I can. Also interested in what you guysa are doing to get a dual master on the firewall. Thanks, Greaser

2. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

3. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

I run a 350, 700R4, 70 ford truck rear with 3:25 gears in my 48 chevy so you are going to love the setup. I ran a 250 six for two years and got tired of the six lugging in 4th gear locked up. I get good as the six for gas mileage, used CE motor mounts and Speedways stainless headers which were reasonable. I mounted the master cyl under the floor. good luck

4. The 70 Nova rear may work, but it is about 2 inches narrower than the second gen Camaro (70-81) that is almost a bolt-in. The narrower can help with wheels, but the leaf spring pads may be in a different width location and need to be moved on the Nova rear.

Also, the rear gear ratio of whatever open drive rearend you use should be considered in light of the 30% OD in the 700R4. you do not want too tall of a rear gear or your engine will be lugging too much at highway speeds.

5. GREASER815

GREASER815

What isthe best trans and rearend combos for these cars, Just happen to have these parts laying around ,not having to use them. I want to do what is best for a good driver, get on an interstate and run to a show 500 miles away.

6. PRB

PRB
    from Az

that is a good combo, can't go wrong with an SBC and an OD unit. I have a 350/ 200 4R/ 3.73 rear end (old Mustang) and cruise at 70mph @ 2100 rpm....no issue whith burn outs either.
    What is the rear gearing?

7. GREASER815

GREASER815

I am honestly not sure on ratio in it. Came out of a 70 Nova with a six and a glide in it.

8. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Pull the cover and count the teeth ... divide the big number by the small number :D

I have a 700R4, SBC and a 9 inch Ford with 3.50 rear gears. Works great. Plenty of acclearation and with the OD ... it cruises down the interstate effortlessly.

I would NOT go above a 3.50 gear ( 3.25 / 3.00 ) ... with the 700R4. A 3.70 would be even better than the 3.50 I have IMHO.

I had a NOS set of factory FORD 9 inch 3.50 gears ... so I used them. :)

9. bobbyd08

bobbyd08
    from md

Walton Fabrication will probably have every thing you need. :)

Bobbyd

Greaser Bob likes this.
  10. You will love that combination. I have the same combo in our 57 Chevy truck and it goes the distance, everytime at any speed I choose to drive.

11. Probably a 2.72 in the Nova rear end. That won't work with the overdrive. Look for a 4x4 S-10 with a 3.73 gear ratio and you will love it.

12. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

These guys are steering you right on the rear end ratios, I'll bet the 70 nova rear is a 3:08 if it came out of a six with 350 turbo car. It will work if you just stay out of OD when off the freeway, then down the road you can fine tune everything with better gears etc. My 3:25 gears are a little high on the back roads as soon as I pull it out of OD the engine runs nice and quiet. At 75 mph on the freeway, the engine is running 2100 rpms and that pulls some nice mileage. Hang in there, all this data can be confusing.

13. black240

black240
    from Houston

Quick question. I have the original 216 in my 50 Styleline and want o upgrade to a 235 or 250. Will the original motor mounts work?

14. deto

deto

Walton Fabrication makes an clean set up. They're in CA.

15. Cantstop

Cantstop

used 71 nova rear in my 49 fleetline withno perch issues

16. X 2 on the s-10. I have one in my 54 and you can stuff an 8 or 9 inch wheel in there...

17. Cantstop

Cantstop

will not work with the 250 dont know about the 235

18. Simple.

Simple.
    from Troy, MI

I initially went with walton and was super impressed at the ease of install and how clean it was. Pair it up with their trans crossmember, and you are ready to rock... with a custom driveshaft of course. Sadly, I had to cut mine out and raise the engine up when I slammed it on the ground.

- Jon

19. black240

black240
    from Houston

Thank you! Found that Walton makes the kit for this.

20. butcherted

butcherted
    from hagerstown

Chevy with 350 and 700R works best with 3:42 to 3:73 rear gears, most Chevy Tahoe& Suburban use that combo also S10 does two, I have a Nova rear end in my Chevy.

21. I just put the 350/700R4 into my '50 with CE mounts. The dimensions in the directions are right on, 17 13/16" inches from the center of the first bumper bolt hole, it's a pain in the ass to get the motor on them, but even with a long water pump if you put the old 235 fan, or a non-clutch fan from a V8 on, it will give plenty of clearance for the radiator. Use a fresh titanium bit for the holes and use the mount as a template - if you do it with the nose off and drill some of the holes with the motor temp installed so the mounts can't move, it will help a bunch. The one on the left side ends up right on the steering box mount, though.

For the trans, cut the crossmember out at the edges of the angled K-members, especially on the right side, the 700R4 is long and wide and needs the room. I'm just going to have a guy make me a trans crossmember that slips over the stubs so I can drill and bolt it in. Watch where the TV cable ends up so it's not getting pinched anywhere, they cross over from left to right at the back of the motor and run down behind the dipstick tube to the side of the case.

The Nova rear has shallow perches and will go right on the stock springs no problem if you drill a new hole for the locating pin at the very front of the perch. Best bet is to set it in there and measure, and mark where the hole will go. A Camaro rear is an easy fit, too, but you need to add at least a one-inch block as the perches are deeper - and on mine we made new bottom plates out of some 1x5 C channel, so that I can bolt an L bracket to them that lets me use the stock shocks. You can adapt the Camaro rear sway bar fairly easily, too, if you add a crossmember to the frame for the top of it to bolt to.

As for the gear ratio, the truck I pulled the motor out of shows a 2.73 by the factory window sticker it came with and it always drove fine; in fact out of 4 trucks all with different ratios, it moved the best of them, even to the last time I drove it before I pulled the engine. I got the best gas milage out of it once on a trip where I averaged about 80 mph, but the TBI 350 had power enough to run fine in 4th at 65 - and I replaced it with a nearly identical truck with a 3.73, and that one was a real dog by comparison. I'd go ahead and run whatever is in the Nova rearend and change it later if I didn't like it.

22. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

Hey man, how is this going? Any progress? Pics? I am curious if you fit that nova rear in, I got a 57 rear for free that I really wanted to use but the cost to go over it is way to much! So I found a 70 nova rear with new breaks and its a true posi from gm only prob is its got 4.56 gears in it....oh well good for burn outs I guess and my th350 has a locking converter so I am just gonna wire a switch for a cheater overdrive.

Hope you are making progress and see you soon, May is coming up quick!

Later

23. el_bole

el_bole

I know this doesnt belong here but im at a loss when it comes to the above BRAKE line set up. Im going to run a 283, 700R, and '99 Tahoe rear end with 3.73 gearing. How do I marry the brake lines from my '73 chevy C10 frame to the '99 Tahoes brakes(drums btw)? Thanks,

el_bole

24. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

although the second gen camaro is a virtual bolt in to do it right the spring mounts still need to be removed and the rear rotated some to get the pinion angle right. So might as well use the nova rear.

25. 54LedSled

54LedSled

I am collecting up parts right now as werll. I plan on using a 350, 700r4 with a 55' chevy rear end (3.70s) I have. I've used Waltons fab stuff in the past. Great stuff! I will be using it again.

26. Pits McGee

Pits McGee

Thank u for all the great info guys...I didn't even have to ask...and now I know what set Iam going w....u rock