Register now to get rid of these ads!

Power steering help 1950 chevy coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by holleywoodphoto, Oct 10, 2011.

1. holleywoodphoto

holleywoodphoto

Can anyone give me some advise on installing power steering to a 1950 chevy coupe?

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I can give you the same advice I gave a friend of mine on his 51 chev coupe. That was to go over the stock steering and suspension, make sure everything was working correctly, not frozen up or worn out. Then get an alignment.

He was amazed how easy and precise the steering was. Way better than it was before. Still needed a little muscle for parking but once it was moving, at even 2 or 3 MPH easy to steer.

For even better results fill your shocks with shock oil or hydraulic jack oil. Or replace with new tubular shocks. Then pump up your tires to 32 PSI

Another thing you can do when doing an alignment, is to reduce the caster to the minimum. This will make the steering easier and sharper.

But you have to add a steering damper to prevent shimmy. German cars were set up this way for years. If you worked on old Mercedes cars, as I have, you would see there was nothing special about their steering or suspension it was quite conventional except well made and set up.

Even VW used the steering damper trick.

Give it a try, much easier and cheaper than adding power steering and it works.

3. holleywoodphoto

holleywoodphoto

Thanks for the advice.....I will give it a shot