Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '50 Ford Project - New Engine and Trans.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ClutchDumpinDan, Mar 7, 2011.

1. It's louder than I thought it would be, running 2" pipe though so it doesn't pop and crackle when you let off of it. Think I'm gonna add the shortest glass packs I can find. I'll take a video of it before then though.

2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Great job. That engine idles like its pissed off! Are you setting on a 5 gallon bucket? Ha.

3. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

You need to run roundtrack mufflers found at Speedway.
    They make any flathead sound good.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Shorty-Race-Mufflers,3568.html
    I have them on my pickup..

Attached Files:

4. That would be great! I am surprised it is as loud as you say. How much interior insulation do you have?

5. Thanks!

Nope, no 5 gallon bucket...seen the damage first hand that they cause when they tip over! :(

Cool, might give them a try. The price sure is right.

I've got my carpet and insulation pad pulled out at the moment...as well as the trans. tunnel cover being off. I'm sure it'll quiet down once the interior is back in. It's not any louder than a Harley, just noticeably louder than it was with the sidepipes on.

6. Success! The '50 made it to the Joe Smith Open House and back without missing a beat. Cruised interstate all the way, 75mph turning 1,900rpm :eek: The overdrive is sweeeeeet, can't recommend it enough!

7. Good job! Can't wait to get mine back on the road.

8. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

Thats great Dan, I stopped by on my way down to Maxton Friday, Of course he put me right to work moving his big ass cabinet full of parts. Glad its running good. When ever you are ready, We can put some GOOD tunes in your ride.

9. UPDATE!!

Been driving my Shoebox every chance I get, still haven't hooked up the speedometer / odometer but I'd say I got around 700-800 miles on it.

It's run a little warm a few times in traffic but never to the point of having to shut it down and let it cool off. Oil pressure is great and the T-5 is the best thing ever!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  10. How has your throwout bearing set up been working?

11. Thanks for asking, it's been working great. I'll have a chance to inspect all the clutch related stuff when I take it apart. I'll let you know what I find. If all is well I'll probably make a few hubs and put them up for sale as I've had a fair amount of interest in them.

How's your car coming along?

12. Um, the 47, coming along great. It will be running on it own power for the Goodguys in Loveland, June 3rd. The shoebox, not so much. It sits. I am itching to get going on it again. Let me know on the throwout set up when you get to it.

13. fasttimes

fasttimes
    from NC

Wow, I wish I would have looked this up on the HAMB search. I just finished doing a conversion on a 50 Ford also and the car is green also. Great info and I will keep your info. It looks like I will be doing three more conversion now.

14. It's always after the job is done you find the info you need :cool:

What did you use for a clutch disc? How about the throwout bearing?

If you're gonna do another one, check out the throwout bearing conversion piece I've got for sale, just click the link in my signature below.

15. msalamanca

msalamanca

Man now I want to do it.
    haha.

16. Forddraggin

Forddraggin

That sucks about your problems.I'm getting a 50 flathead rebuilt right now,hope i dont run into any problems.

17. FOURTYDLX

FOURTYDLX

Great pics, and thanks,doing a 32,flat eng, t5 also,more on the trans. please.

18. What kind of adapter did you use to get the S10 T5 to mate up to the stock bellhousing? Did you use the Offenhauser adapter, or did you make your own?

19. I used the Offy adapter. I was disappointed in what I got for $277 (I think it was) so I looked into making my own or having some made. Long story short, with the price of machining and the price of the material (a huge chunk of it) I can't sell them any cheaper than there already available. Turns out there not that overpriced after all! :D

With that being said, if/when I can find some cheap 1" thick aluminum I'd still like to make them.

20. igby

igby

can't wait to see this running again.

21. The price is also what gets me. I'd buy one if you made one. :D Do you like the Offy piece, I mean does it at least get the job done without the lingering question of, "Oh shit, what was that noise?!":eek: In other words, does it hold up well?

22. It's a chunk of aluminum, nothing really to go wrong once it's installed. I had to do a little sanding on the part where the trans slides in but would rather do that than have it loose. The bolt holes lined up good enough to get it together without any modification but they weren't "dead nuts".

My only real bitch is that the hardware that came with it was coarse thread and the bellhousing is fine thread. I called Speedway and told them, the tech told me I should try Fastenal for the right ones! :eek::rolleyes: I had better things to do than complain that day so I ordered the right ones from McMaster-Carr.

23. Wow! :eek:

24. So any updates on the car? How are your major modifications coming along? :)
    BTW, got your throwout bearing set up this week. Very nice. Seems like it is going to work out just fine. Thanks!

25. Any update on your car did you take care of all the problems you had.

Frenchy

26. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

I'm attempting to do something similar with my 8BA, any updates on how things worked out? Did you use the original flywheel, pressure plate, and S10 clutch disk you originally planned? I'm using a bellhousing that's from a 51 Merc, but is supposed to be the same one used on some 49-53 ford pass. cars. Looks like this:

[​IMG]

PM'd you about your custom bearing, wanted to get a more in depth update on here and also see if anyone else did the same thing, what their experience was with this type of setup.

27. I used the original flywheel (with the center slightly modified), original pressure plate, original bellhousing, original clutch fork, original clutch linkage, S-10 clutch disc and one of my throwout bearings.

28. Cool! Let me know how your T5 swap goes once you get into it. I've been slammed with customer work, no time for my Shoebox the last few months. I am however, getting back to work on it SOON!

29. EBW

EBW

Good to hear !!

30. Bounder

Bounder

Will all this work on my 50 merc? Want to go with a t-5, but don't know where to start.