Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs How should i extend the fender on my custom???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tankwilson, Oct 11, 2011.

1. tankwilson

tankwilson

Hey guys. Thinkn bout changing bumpers, install all the stock trim, and shave the door handles. The car is bagged and will lay frame. I would like to come up with a solution to make the front and rear look lower. Bigger bumpers, extend the bottom of the fenders????? what your ideas??

Thanks
    matt

[​IMG]

2. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

I think it looks real good the way it is except at the bumpers, maybe you could extend the bumper brackets lower the brackets and get them level with the pans would look lower. But then again what do I know ?

3. tankwilson

tankwilson

The car lays even lower now than that pic but the front and rear still seem like they are in the sky. Doesn't need much, move the bumpers down, put on taller ones and mount same height, add an inch to the bottom of the rear part of the fenders????

Lets see some bagged kustoms.

4. With great looking bumpers like a 49 Plymouth has it would be a shame to take 'em off. Why not make pans to go underneath them painted body color, extend the rear portion of the rear fenders down to mate up maybe even do the same with the front lower section of the front fender heels too.

5. tankwilson

tankwilson

6. You could extend the rear fenders something like that, but keep your bumpers, they're the coolest ever!

[​IMG]

Klaus

7. tankwilson

tankwilson

not really the look im going for.

8. 51 MERC-CT

51 MERC-CT

Section it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  9. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Just drive it it cool as is
    My .02

10. tankwilson

tankwilson

Thanks i apperciate that. The car does have a good look but i want to take it to the next level and really give it all the right lines. The chop is awesome (thanks to choprods) and love the low look of laying frame, just needs a few mods here and there to really complete the look.

11. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

If you want it to look lower, the bumpers need to be lowered front and rear...the rockers right now are lower than the bumpers, and the bumpers being higher give it the illusion that it's not that low.

I'd figure out a way to lower the pan below the trunk , that would in turn require you to lower the rear of the fender, that would make it look lower than it is. Same with the front bumper and lower front fender...problem with both is it makes it less drivable over dips and driveways that way.

If nothing else, add some fender skirts to the rear, that always helps make it look lower...and I'd remove the stone guards too.

R-

12. 52pig

52pig

Bring the bumpers down and in, via modifying the mounts and tray. Could look pretty good that way. Would be a little work but worth it in my opinion.

13. tankwilson

tankwilson

The frame sits an inch lower than the rockers. Thought about welding an inch on the rockers and reinstalling the rocker trim lower to sit on the ground. I think the fenders definatly need to be lower even if i only add an inch.

any threads on lowering fenders??? where to cut???? where to add???

Thanks
    matt

14. 52pig

52pig

A lot more work, but you could channel it.

It looks pretty low, and you say it goes down more? A friend of mine sectioned his frame so it would sit completely flat on the ground, he spent 2 years doing this. Obsessed...probably.

15. tankwilson

tankwilson

naw dont want to do that much work. It lays frame now just need to make the body "appear" lower.

16. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

The license plate is not doing you any favors. Start by moving that down and it would visually change the back of the car.

17. tankwilson

tankwilson

Yea i'm strongly thinking about putting on 50 buick rear bumper on. It has a spot for the plate in between the bumper guards.... also the bumper is 3 inches taller than mines so it will be three inches lower to the ground. need to do some mockup and post pics.

thanks

18. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Straight side trim coming off the top edge of the front fender and going towards the rear.

19. tankwilson

tankwilson

I have the belt line trim off a 50 plymouth fast back (will look similar to merc) and also have the stock fender trim i mite put back on.

20. I've noticed that you have completely ignored the suggestion to run fender skirts,,,That alone will improve the long low look you desire.

21. 19Fordy

19Fordy

You will notice that car designers of the 50's and 60's often added a strip of chrome or stainless to the lower third of the car so as to give it the appearance of being lower and sleeker.

22. Flynn's_57

Flynn's_57
    from Nor*Cal

Pretty sure just dropping the bumpers will accomplish what you are after...

If not, you could lower the highest part of the wheel-wells.

23. LOWBLAZERO1

LOWBLAZERO1

i agree drop the bumpers

Attached Files:

24. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Man skirts would change everything. That should be your first step. Dropping the bumper without adding skirts is kinda goofy to me.

25. Zeke

Zeke

stole the above dropped bumpers and did down and dirty skirts

Attached Files:

26. Yichoke

Yichoke

How about extending the rear fenders FORWARD instead of back? Plus long skirts that line up with the stone guard. Gives you a longer look without having to rework the entire rear end.

Attached Files:

27. That actualy looks very nice! makes the lines flow so much better!

28. Thats exactly what these cars need. Seems like Mopar cheaped out and used the same (too short) rear fenders on two and four door cars. That why they look a little off.

And don´t lower the bumpers. It just adds visual depth to the body, which is exactly what you don´t want.

29. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

I agree!