Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chrome Czar Kansas's words on the Pileup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kansas, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Kansas

Kansas

I was looking at having a bike built at a shop in Chicago called Red Rooster Cycle in Addison, and the owner tells me about this crazy show called the Hunnert Car Pileup. He tells me that if I like this style of Bobbed Bike and traditional hot rods I need to check it out. A week later I'm in a liquor store and a kid comes in hair greased back, wallet chain and cuffed jeans. I ask him about the Pileup and he tells me the same thing. Turns out the show got soo big they had to move it to Morris at the Grundy County fair grounds. He also tells me that the party is Friday night at Fools.

I show up Friday night and the sight of hot rods, customs and bikes cruising circles around the bar blows my mind. I didn't know anybody, but it didn't matter we all spoke the same language...car.

The next day we get to the fairgrounds (first and only time they tried pre-registration) and sat in line to get in. My buddy let me drive his 1964 Pontiac tempest convertible. It was bone stock with sagging springs, and I added a new set of lancers. Man talk about nervous...I was sure they wouldn't let me in. Turns out I was wrong. Best time of my life...I felt like I was home. The cars, the rockabilly music, the people.

Long story short seven years later I'm a Chrome Czar with 7 Pileups under my belt, one as a red shirt and 5 I planned and worked.

I can't thank my Wife Diane enough. For the last two years, since we moved to Progress City she has been working along with Hellfish to plan the pre-party, parking, working with the Chamber and the grounds, as well as the thank you, party for the Red Shirt Army in November after the show. All behind the scenes and not taking any credit for it. She is a star and needs to be recognized for all the hard work she has put into the show.

My hat off to the Red Shirt Army...I was lining up the cars for the inspection gate, and thought I was going to be a one man bullhorn, barking out commands. Not so...I had a small force of flag wielding eyes keeping everything flowing smoothly. My intent was to keep all of you from over heating, getting pissed off, and getting into the show smoothly and quickly.

Big item checked off my list of things to do for the show.

I'm going to miss the show, the old friends I get to see, the new friends (Canadia) Joke..I made, and the thrill in every persons eye when they first walk through the gate. I'm proud that it was never about the money. I would like to get a tally of the amount of money we've raised for amazing causes. I also am proud we never dropped our criteria, and always tried to raise the bar on the level of quality cars that drove through the gate. You folks always met or exceeded the bar.

In closing, I look forward to attending all of the other shows that are keeping traditional hot rodding and customs alive.

There will always be place for greasers, loud cars and good music.

Thanks for all of the good times.

Kansas

2. ryno

ryno

Thanks to all the czars an family members that have been so involved though the years.
    I think we finally came up with a smooth system for the inspection and entry,saved the best for last!

3. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

Always good to see you Kansas! It was a pleasure working the upper lot with you, Ryno and the flag wavers....

It went so fast and smooth that I was sure there were about half the cars as normal.

Not so.

See you in about a month.

4. Thanks Kansas and Diane. You guys not only have made great things happen for the Czars but we are glad to have you a part of the Symco experience as well. To many more happy miles....
    Cliffy

5. lordairgtar

lordairgtar

Ditto on the Symco.

6. Frosty2

Frosty2
    from Hambone,IN

Always great to see you and Diane, and your fellow Czars. You all have made me feel welcome to be there even though I'm a bike guy and don't know that much about cars. Thanks for teaching me a little. Your 10 year run is to be commended. Fine job, Chrome Czars.

7. Kansas,

I casn thank you and your fellow Czars enough. I am fortunate enough to have attended eight Pileups with kids in tow for each one. We all have great memories of these shows and I think they grew to look forward to them as much or more than I did!

I will miss the Hunnert Car Pileup, but I'm so glad it was there as long as it was.

Thank you Chrome Czars, DW, and the Red Shirt Army!

Jay

8. Spike!

Spike!

It was my first, and apparently my last Pile Up... thanks for doing it for ten years.

Spike

9. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

it was a great time...i wear my red shirt with pride...

10. Straight Axle Steve

Straight Axle Steve

Loved Every Minute of Every Day working with you Guys and Gals. From parking cars (freezing cold one year) to selling shirts, I looked forward to the next HCPU the day after the one we just attended. My daughter and I made a deal to each other we would be at the rest of them 5 years ago. I guess we kept our deal. We also will where our red shirts with pride. We made a new DEAL! See Ya at the HCPU Heads UP next year!
    Thank You Chrome Czars!

To all the people that have never been, I'M SORRY for YOUR LOSE!

11. Pistnbroke

Pistnbroke
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Honored to have been under your command this year Kansas, Timmy P. and I have volunteered to the Red Shirt Army for the past 5 years and Magnet was our commander on the first 4 tours. I will say you and that bull horn looked like you were meant for each other. People listened when you talked. What a great time we had and will miss it. We will also continue to support the other shows and keep the spirit of the Hunnert Car alive. See ya at the party!!!!
    Red

12. Thanks for the understatement Craig and THANK YOU, Diane!!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  13. BoPeep

BoPeep

So good to have met both you and Diane. I'm sure we'll be bumping into each other here and there along the way... :)

14. MaClutch

MaClutch
    from Midwest

A pleasure to have met another great group of car peeps!!! Again, MANY MANY THANKS to each and everyone one of you for everything!!! I have proudly wore that Red Shirt for the past three years!!! And I am happy to have helped at Vintage Torque Fest and will continue to assist Cliffy/Dino & all the Vagabonds at Symco Shakedown.
    You learn a lot while volunteering -- it truly does take an Army!!!!!!!!!!!