Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking for a east coast vintage fed chassis builder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ricci32, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Ricci32

Ricci32

I have collected enough parts to put a car together. Would like to talk to a chassis builder about my needs and what i have to work with. Thanks Larry

2. Ricci32

Ricci32

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

Joe Timney of Delaware Chassis Works, he's got a Bonneville Red Hat, and welded stuff that went to the Moon and back.

4. dmc3113

dmc3113

Contact J.Ed Horton at Horton Race Cars in Belton, SC. 864.338.9942. Also, check out this thread here on the HAMB; Hundley & Boggs AA/FD for some construction photos. He has also done a recreation of Bill Mullins Chrysler twin engine AA/GD. He is starting soon on a recreation of "The Greeks" Twin side by side Chrysler .

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011

5. We attended J Ed's BBQ this past weekend and he fired up a old FED for the crowds enjoyment. HRP

6. Cen-Pen Speed Shop, Grantville PA 717 469 9676

7. How fast do you want to go?

8. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

cen pen does nice work,

9. Ricci32

Ricci32

Hey 61 cad you and i have chatted before i really like the style of your car. looking to go 10sec but would like to have a car that would pass nhra.an updated version of your car

10. coupemerc

coupemerc

Call Bruce at Haulin Chassis in Haverhill MA (978-372-4415)

11. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

^^^what he said

12. Larry:

For a cert car, you should look at Cen Pen. Also, look at S&W kits. Try Racingjunk.com for a roller that certifies.

My FED will never be update since it's a real deal Chassis Research LW106. No way we will run in the 10's.

jay

13. Ricci32

Ricci32

what about a non cert car. every time i say this i get my head handed to me.

14. Ricci32

Ricci32

what im trying to do is have some fun run some vintage events take the car to lebonon valley and some jersey, pa tracks. i have a solid 500hp smallblock 10sec. was a top end goal.

15. My two cents..... A cert FED loses the traditional look with all the safety bars that are needed in cockpit... My brother an I look at doing a Competion Coupe Car that certified. This would give you that nostalgia look, open front engine, and you can have all the safety cage inside the body.

16. Ricci32

Ricci32

17. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

look at kings chassis for a cert fed

or rooman bot hereon hamb..........

18. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

I disagree with that. Its the builders fault for not taking the time to make it look right. An extra roll cage hoop and a couple of kidney bars are the only extras seen and are minor compared to 6 point cages, square bodies, tall windscreens, and tripod front ends.My car is certed to 6.00

Attached Files:

19. He's after a an early sixties look. My 2 cents again, the extra bars scream "modern"

Here is my car:

Attached Files:

20. ChassisResearchKid

ChassisResearchKid
    from Michigan

Your right, the new car just don't have the right look. Or can they?:cool: Maybe I'm doing it wrong. As stated earlier, if it doesn't look right, its the builders fault.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  21. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Your car is nice and you apparently have lots of fun with it, But done right, a very-very small price to pay to be able to race it. This is my other car that I will use for shows.

Attached Files:

22. oj

oj

It isn't so much the bars as the height of the driver, the modern blown motor chassis has the driver sitting high which makes the bars more prominant. With an injected sbc the driver can sit in the early traditional position and the front helmet bar will look right at home. Remember there is a big difference between taking an old chassis and trying to make it modern - the bars do look out of place in them; a modern chassis can achieve a nice 'flow' to the tube arraingement so that everything looks like it belongs there as opposed to an add-on.
    For a sportsman chassis King makes a nice clean one, i can make you one as well if you think virginia is closer and distance is an issue.

23. Oh...I can race it ..... Just can't and won't go 10". My car is the real deal 1962 Chassis Research LW106...... No way would I change the chassis. Is it a show car ...... SURE!

Todd:

The Chute Pac Body over the Extra Bars is diffently the way to go! Again ... my 2 cents.

24. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

Keep in mind that a 500 hp small block in a FED will get you way quicker than 10s.

25. Boldsmobile

Boldsmobile
    from W.Mass

Lindblad in Mass? I believe he was building funny car's in the 60s but not 100% sure on FED.

I think he is still around. I believe he just won a track championship for a roundy round car he has.

26. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

And if you did race it would you be wearing a football helmet and leather jacket over your t-shirt?
    Lookit, you prefer the late 50s early 60s thats great, enjoy yourself, My era is after that and enjoy what I am doing. Would I prefer not having those extra bars, YES as I think it detracts from the vintage look. But rules are rules which we all must follow and it is up to the builder to make those add-ons not so noticable yet still conform.

27. Bonehead II

Bonehead II

I would love to see more of this car, love it just love it.....Thanks