Register now to get rid of these ads!

49 pontiac, my first chop.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fly 59, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Looks like you're off to a good start. Keep it up.

2. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Yeah keep at it man. It's off to a really nice start. Thats a good lookin chop.

3. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Excellent work on the chop, you've really nailed the outline. Can't wait to see it all finished up.

Cool idea with the hood as well ... I'm interested to see how that gets finished up. I noticed your cut goes across where the stainless "waterfall" goes. Definitely a good decision to keep that trim on there, I wouldn't get rid of mine for anything. Are you gonna cut the stainless strip to accommodate the new hood outline?

Good luck as you carry on with it.

4. fly 59

fly 59

Instead of starting a new thread, I guess i'll just turn this one into a build thread on my buddy Jeremys 49 pontiac! Here's what got accomplished yesterday. We decided to start the decklid sectioning, we figured 1-1/2" would be a good amount so it wouldn't look like overkill, and it would be enough to let the flow of the roof and catwalk to flow nicely dowm to the rear bumper. Again I am a first timer at doin this mod, and again give credit to other threads for their valuable info to get me thru the process. Here are some pics of the days work. Let me know what you think, good, bad, or ugly.

Attached Files:

5. cambridgecustoms

cambridgecustoms
    from Rindge, NH

I would say "ugly".... the guy in the pictures that is.

6. Now THIS is just great work, The lines flow just right fantastic work man! Please... Please stop and think before you put tailights on! hint hint! remember that poncho taillights are prefect.

7. skyrodder

skyrodder

you made it look easy

8. fly 59

fly 59

Here's a couple shots to see the transformation.

Attached Files:

9. fly 59

fly 59

saturdays work was some much needed rust repairs! No glory here just some grunt work.

Attached Files:

10. fly 59

fly 59

well after taking a week off for some much needed R&R, we got back to work on my buddies 49. With the chop and sectioning pretty much buttoned up, (still need to finish some grinding and hammer and dolly work) we started on the facelift. Well, my buddy Jeremy(CAMBRIDGE CUSTOMS) picked up a 55 Desoto grille from E-bay, and so the transformation continues. We decided to use the entire length of the grille but did remove the huge outer teeth. (Maybe we will use them as bumper guards on this one or save them for another project in the works, who knows.) We did take some of the angle out of the grille by pie cutting the front of the reinforcement then reassembling the grille, seemed to work out well and fits the flatter pontiac front end much better. We used the original Pontiac upper grille fender mouldings, but we didn't have a hood moulding so ended up fabricating that part. Still need to fab the lower part of the fenders into the grille opening, and the lower splash pan. The bumper is the original Pontiac, just split in half in the middle to narrow it a bit and allow some additional contour to match the grille angle a little better. Tell me what you guys think, any suggestions, anything you might change or do differently? Open to any and all suggestions, lets here em. So enough with the words heres the pics.

Attached Files:

11. robleticia

robleticia

I love it! I was looking at the same grille for my car, cant make up my mind. It looks perfect in your car, everything looks like it flows together well.

12. You're doing some fantastic work here, I hope you realize that. I have a question though!
    Are you going to mold in the bumper and paint it or are you leaving it chrome? If you're leaving it chrome, have you thought about moveing it out an inch or 1,5", so the grill teeth don't stick out further than the bumper! Just my 2 cents!

Klaus

13. robleticia

robleticia

Kustomklaus....very good point, I never even looked at the last picture. great idea! Or take some of the outward curve out of the center bar???? Good call!

14. fly 59

fly 59

Thanks for the input guys. After looking at the pictures some more,Kustomklaus your right the bumper does look like it needs to move forward, and robleticia we did take some angle out of the grille already but maybe a little more will help the look. Will try mocking up both suggestions and see if we can get this looking better. Was thinking the bumper needs a little something to make it look a little heavier maybe the large grille teeth as gaurds might help or a different bumper altogether? anybody got any pics with the guards on the bumper or some thing similar? I guess its time to use the search button. thanks again for the suggestions keep em coming.

15. robleticia

robleticia

I think if you have already took some curve out of the grille, just scoot the bumper out a little and your good! Some mock up pics from the side are in order!
    Rob

16. looks good,keep the pic´s coming!need inspiration for my 51.

17. What about using a bumper from a later Poncho? Like a '53-'54 with a little more shape to it. You might think it goes better with the cool DeSoto grill.

18. fly 59

fly 59

Here's yesterdays progress. Workin on finishin up the front end treatment, we fabbed up the lower fender pieces and built the bumper splash pan along with narrowing the front bumper and all the brackets to go along with it. As you guys suggested, we moved the bumper out a bit , so now it leads the grille in the side profile, looks much better. Also to fatten up the look of the bumper we mocked up some old chevy guards that were kickin around the shop. Don't know if they are going to stay, give a look and tell me what you guys think. Still need to finish the lower center grille opening and around the parking lites but you get the idea.

Attached Files:

19. fly 59

fly 59

forgot the side profile pic. and a with and without guards pic

Attached Files:

20. with guards is my wote.

21. Old Gold

Old Gold

I like it with the guards.......Your work is incredible, this is going to be one awesome Poncho!

22. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

The grill looks perfect, cool build.

23. Leebo!

Leebo!
    from Yale OK

Looking great. I love the hood trim, although I think it would be awesome if you could modify/alter the lower edge of it. Maybe give it somewhat of a "widows peak" that would match the lines of the hood a little better.

24. I'll vote for using the guards also! They look great where you put them nicely between the teeth and the parkinglights. It flows nice, good job! What are those guards - '56 Chevy??

25. fly 59

fly 59

Well thanks for the input guys, after studying the look of the front and the votes for keeping the guards, I can say they will most likely stay. It gives the front a more balanced look, and Kluas your correct they are 56 chevy. I didnt get any progress pics up this week(didn't seem to get much accomplished) But stay tuned, I will get some more up this weekend hopefully, (we got a hurricane on its way up the coast and looks like were gonna get hit).

26. Hope everybody is safe! My sister in law is in New York, so I'm following the storm closely!

27. fly 59

fly 59

well we made it thru the hurricane alright, lost a couple trees but no property damage. Other than that it was a slow couple weeks, but did manage to get some work done. Made some fender patches and decided to fill the hood, so heres a couple pics.

Attached Files:

28. fly 59

fly 59

well the progress has slowed on the 49, got another project going on working on vinny's 40, but got a few more pics for ya. We're having an open house/cruise in at the shop in Rindge NH on Oct. 16(All are welcome so come on by, (check out the cool shit we're buildin). Hope to roll the 49 out of the shop for the open house and get some good pics outside.Metal work is almost finished so stay tuned.

Attached Files:

29. Smokey2

Smokey2

Good Post, Thanks If this is your "first time"........think what 'tha 2nd will be like.

Oh, I've a Sister in Warwick, I can visit her, an, come drag that ole Merc outta' the corner, and you'll have more room to work, OK?

SMOKE' Kool

30. fly 59

fly 59

Hey smokey if you mean the hudson, not a chance. That just might be the "2nd" for a slight 1-1/2 to 2 inch haircut!