Register now to get rid of these ads!

32 Trunklid is too cool to paint. Now what?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slepe67, Oct 10, 2011.

?

Trunklid Poll

Poll closed Oct 25, 2011.
  1. Strip it down and repaint it

29 vote(s)
    15.8%
  2. Paint car to match trunklid

53 vote(s)
    28.8%
  3. Leave it alone & bolt it to the car

46 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Sell it to a collector as art

56 vote(s)
    30.4%
  1. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Paint the car to your liking, bolt that lid onto the car as-is. When people ask why, say "why not?".

2. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

Thats garage art at its finest, it would be a shame to paint over it?

3. 117harv

117harv

X2:rolleyes:

The hours of enjoyment it will bring looking at it and talking about it with your hotrod buddies, as well as saving a piece of art, far out weigh the benifit of blatsing, painting and running it. If you get s#%t for running a repop lid, just show them the wall hanger and all should be forgiven:)

4. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Hang that one on the wall and find yourself another decklid.

5. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

HA.... great minds think alike. Maybe I should've read through the thread before posting

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Old doesn't always equate to "history". I'd find out if there is anything special about Berlin Speed Shop, other than they sold parts back in the day. If not, I'd take a photo and paint over it. Keeping it like is and putting it on a fresh painted car would look like crap. In the end, if you admire it so much, hang it as art and get another lid.

Oh, fake patina is as lame as you could go in trying to match your car to that piece.

7. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

DONT PAINT OVER IT!!! Either paint the rest of your car to match that red or hang it on your wall and find another. This is seriously cool. Its history.

8. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

bingo...

9. F&J

F&J

When working on a long term rough car, your build ideas most likely will change several times. Mine have.

Put it someplace safe, and get going on the rest of the car first. Why the need to decide right now?

10. slepe67

slepe67

You are correct. Mine is defianately a LONG term build.
    I'm getting ready to media blst the body, so now is the time to think it over.

I guess I can blast the rest of the body and leave the trunklid alone until it's time to final paint. About March, 2015!

11. slepe67

slepe67

Shit'll buff out...

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ

Attached Files:

12. F&J

F&J

Put the lid in the house near the TV and PC where it will stare at you. I'd bet you'd work on the car more :)...I need to put something in my house, too..

13. Ohio Rodder

Ohio Rodder

That lid is true art, hang it on the wall and fine another one.
    The poll is interesting... almost a dead heat!!!

14. slepe67

slepe67

HAHA NO KIDDING! Put it in FRONT of the TV!!!

I love the HAMB, but curse it at the same time.

What ever happened to using my brain and THINKING???

The poll is close, I'm actually surprised. (I sound like a politician now)

VOTE FOR MY CAR

I'm Jesse Lee, and I approve this message.

15. Boxcar's 1928

Boxcar's 1928

What about the matching rear fenders....? Yep i remember them. Hey I saw an event post recently that had a p/u "I believe" with Berlin Speed Shop...FWIW. I just voted but didn't see the MOST correct answer """GIVE it to BOXCAR!" he will put it into one of those Mona Lisa picture vaults that will survive total nuclear war!!!!!!!!!!!!!

While I know there is a stigma here on the HAMB for repop parts. If it were mine, yes I said IF...I know it's not mine, a comment from the p-nut gallery only. I'd save it or incorporate it into the build or a later build and replace it with another. Real or repop.

As far as dating the piece...that could be very hard to determine.. As for the logo, I believe Standard changed to Amoco in the 70s....please let me know if its otherwise. So it could range anywhere from that date thru to ?? When I saw it upclose it did look genuine and not patina'd up, honest in all wear aspects. I'm a sign collector and believe I could have detected it.

My bottom line...I wish it was me with this delemma. Lucky dog! and thanks again for the 292 y block.....I'm thinking that will be the one for the Tudor.

"Load Clear"

16. hotroddeuce

hotroddeuce
    from Mi

well you asked.... but to me you already ruined it by waxing it and makin it shiny it now looks like someone made it up to look old its only original patina once.

17. TubularGoose

TubularGoose

HA! I'm assuming my vote tied it up for the bottom three. I love the decklid. Got something against a brookville decklids? They are identical to the old stuff only all new and solid steel. and fairly priced too.

18. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

take a picture of it..blow it up..and hang it on the wall for memories..then strip it down.

19. slepe67

slepe67

SSSHHHHH, dont talk about the damn matching fenders :D They are definately getting "modified".

I havent seen anything (havent looked much either) about Berlin Speed Shop. I'll definately look into when Amoco was founded. IF it was the 70's, things might be a lot different...

what should I do to it when it's on my car??? Leave it as the only nasty, grimy, dirty, dull piece on it?

The waxing was to see just how "restorable" it is...

Trust me, up close, you can definately tell it's legit. Paint is cracking, scratches and scrapes all over the paint job.

If somebody could fake that, I'll let em do my entire car.

20. JJK

JJK

Hang it and finad another one!

21. tooljunkie

tooljunkie
    from manitoba

the first thing that came to my mind was fog around the edge with your color choice-blend it in and clear coat it.i see this option wasnt on your poll.thats what i would do.

22. slepe67

slepe67

The HAMBer I bought it from had it posted in classified. Well, everything BUT the body. Literally. He had no knowledge of the car.

SHIT! Are you serious??? Now, I'm trying to remember if it was a 5W or 3W. Jsut kidding, I'm "sure" it was a 5W.

Good call. Zero history, cant find anyhting on BERLIN SPEED SHOP either. It definately "looks" old, but then again, the 1980s were a while back, even thogh my memory says otherwise :D The fenders are a bit worse for wear, but I have no info on their actual glory days.

Very cool. Can you put the feelers out there and see if anyone has ever heard of BERLIN SPEED SHOP? Cant hurt I guess.

I agree with fake patina. I couldnt do it. If the ENTIRE CAR was sitting there in my garage in that paint scheme, I would defiantely keep it "as is". Patina...NO.

Every last piece of sheetmetal on this car is original '32 Ford. It took me MONTHS to find this trunklid. Jeffrey James kept beating me to all the good sheetmetal! Speaking of....surporised he's not sounding off yet. Must be actually WORKING on his stuff, not typing about it!!! :D

Thanks for the opinions. From the looks of the poll, I'm not nutz. This is a tough choice!

I need to deploy, things like this trunklid should not be keeping me up at night :)

23. slepe67

slepe67

YEESH...tough call. Youre not the firstperson to mention that in this thread. I wanted to paint the car Ford Blue. That would look like butt.

Maybe (gag) I could paint it (gag) to look like brown primer so it wold blend in better....

any suggestions on my new color of choice? I've sen more than my share (no offense here) of black, red, yellow deuces. I want mine to be "different".

Channeled body, NO CHOP, open engine compartment. Molded rear fenders. 31" (or so) slicks on Torq Thrusts (or steelies). Going for 1957-1962 era.

24. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

keep the trunk lid as wall art and find another one for your car...

25. chevydave1965

chevydave1965
    from Iowa

NICE !! Use it as is !!!!

26. Steve Ray

Steve Ray

The Amoco torch and oval logo dates to 1956. http://home.comcast.net/~steelbeard1/flinn012004.htm "Goodbye Torch and Oval" According to the article, AMOCO was first used between 1956 and 1960. Depending on the region the logo could also read "STANDARD" or "AMERICAN". AMOCO reappeared in 1973. The font on your trunklid's logo looks 1950s-ish to me.

Some people consider nasty, grimy, dirty and dull as "patina". I think it's a cool piece that should be preserved; and if you don't want it I think someone would be happy to trade.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  27. slepe67

slepe67

Googled "BERLIN SPEED SHOP"+ "Massachussets". Came up with my thread and this one:http://www.moparchat.com/forums/printthread.php?t=61961&page=55&pp=40

Something about a speed shop having a fire sale in 1964...

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR vAlign=bottom><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 14pt">sanborn</TD><TD class=smallfont align=right>11-11-2007 06:52 PM</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <HR>Lefty Musterbaugh(I am not sure of the spelling) was a west coast hot shoe that was one of the first to win major meets in a twin Chev rail. The engines were injected and I think were 402" each.

I bought the Thomas rockers in a fire sale(Berlin's Speed Shop) in 1964. I forgot what I paid---but it was an insurance sale---and stuff was pennies on the dollar.

The Thompson forged pistons came around about 1965. I think they became the later TRW piston. The GM performance bearings were called Thompson-Moraine and later were called just the Moraine bearing.

Sanborn mentions earlier in the thread about growing up in Nashville, and the guy I bought the trunklid from is also from that area. Is this as easy as 2+2=4?

Berlin Speed Shop was in the Nashville area, and burned down in 1964? Cant be THAT easy.

Why is this relevant? Because if it IS from around 1964, it'll stay as is. If it's from LATER than say, 1969...it's getting stipped.

Thoughts? Lets beat this dead horse!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  28. slepe67

slepe67

Thanks for looking that up, helped out a lot! I found info on Wiki.. but would rather not rely on that.

Patina-yes, it IS patina. It is real patina. unfortunately, the rest of my car doesnt match. I can't even entertain the thought of making the rest of the car look like that (faux-tina, or whatever its called). Like I said, if I had the entire car that came with the trunk, it would definately stay the same.

29. Jimm56

Jimm56

30. scoobyscooter

scoobyscooter

Polish it and hang it in the shop, it's a piece of history....to much of history has already been crushed or painted over......

Just my two cents