Register now to get rid of these ads!

Drag raced tonight... fun! (updated with video!)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by modelacitizen, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

You are starting to be a "regular" there since a car like yours stands out. Also, they can tell how fast you can be by your MPH so I think they are trying to get you ahead of where you will end up anyway. However, I think they should be talking to you and telling you ahead of time what you need to be doing for the "next time" rather than shutting you down after you show up. To me that is a bad business decision. Honestly, I have never heard of the plastic overflow bottle thing :confused:

One more bit of advice is to never argue with any track employee. It is their sandbox and they will tell you to take your toy and go home. Unless you have a lot of local tracks to choose from, just swallow your pride and do what they say. I would also try talking to them and be proactive and ask them if there is anything else that you may eventually need to fix or update so you don't get rejected again if it starts going faster. If you take the approach that you want to be as safe as possible, they probably will stop looking so hard at it.

2. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

first you are selling the 8'' short. they will handle all You will be able to put through it. second get a rule book so You know what the rules are. Its all in your best interest. If you were to see some of the wrecks you wouldn't complain.keep up the good work.:)

3. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

Honestly I've never argued with them. Trust me I know better. I just keep my mouth shut and wait for the bad news. The other thing that really bummed me out was this was actually a different track. I usually run at Island and last night I went to Maple Grove in Pa. This was very exciting because it's where my dad and uncle raced when they were young hot rodders.... in a model A no less. Anyway It's just back to the drawing board. Sometimes I think if I painted the car and put some aluminum panels on the interior they'd let me go. thanks as usual guys

edit- I was also really disappointed because I did manage to meet up with some friends of mine who all had late model cars. Judging by their et's, I would have beaten all of them. :):mad::(:confused:

4. LZ

LZ

Key sentence.
    You went to the Grove which is new to you.
    They are not picking on you but you have a home built so there are things that make someone look at. 0r easy to see
    It does get maddening when you see some one come up and do something ugly or your sitting at lanes and see contradictions.
    We see this everytime out. Its like seeing a minivan swerving on highway with a Lady on the cell with 4 kids on board. This is illegal in New York by the way.
    Just last week I was heading to lanes (on moped) and see 2 tie down straps with metal ends hanging off a rear on this deal ahead of me. couple inches from ground. woopsie. I ask the guy about them and he says . Oh ...they are zip tied on...............Are you friggen kidding me. Are you that lazy that you cant take them off... What if this falls off and hits your car or bike.??
    So its not Black and white. Hope you get your Dad back to grove. They are treasures that we take for granted while they are around...:(
    Get r done
    good luck
    Luke

5. gibraltar72

gibraltar72
    from Osseo Mi.

6. gibraltar72

gibraltar72
    from Osseo Mi.

I really don't get it I've heard lots of great advice yet I keep hearing stuff like wider tires if they aren't spinning you obviously don't need more traction. You aren't spinning the engine even to max torque in the traps. My guess without getting some RPM out of this you can probably make it go slower. Listen to some of the guys that have been there and done that. That gearing is nothing to base modifications off of. I appreciate the money thing but a pig shouldn't cost more than 100 or 150 bucks and it's an hour job. and even if carb is too big that will be helped by less time at low RPM.

7. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

I totally agree on the 8" Fordnut, as long as it is within spec you would have to put a lot of serious horsepower thru it to break it. I have run a dyno proven 300+ HP at the rear wheels thru my 3.80 Eaton locked 8" rear for over 5 years now with no issues, and when I play I play hard....just my 2 cents worth:D

8. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Sounds like a bunch of crap to me. My Stocker has a five point harness bolted to the stock locations (floor) and the stock plastic overflow jug. Has passed NHRA national event tech many times and has gone 11.70.

8" or 9"? It doesn't cost anymore to build a 9" and the 9" stuff is probably more plentiful. Lots of 9" pick up truck rear ends around with 31 spline, 3.50 posi. Pontiacs make a lot of torque. My vote is 9" and that's what I'm putting in my 27 T.

9. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

I don't know. Some people told me tech inspections at the Grove were easy, others told me they were harsh. but by then there wasn't much I could do about making changes to my car. I was definitely singled out though. I think the tech inspector looked me (young), looked at my car (old) and decided I didn't know what I was doing. There was a kid right in front of me with a '68 Camaro who was using a Dr Pepper can for an overflow. It was zip tied to his radiator support and everyone knows soda cans are only 12oz, not the required 16oz. So something was really fishy. Whatever, I can't argue with them and I can't dwell on it. I've just got fix what they want and try again.
    As far as rear axles and stuff go... It's an 8". I just can't spend the money on anything. I thought about picking up some wider rear tires because I could get a used ones for almost nothing. But in the end I didn't bother. I think the car will go 12.8 with it setup exactly how it is right now. After that I'm probably gonna have to spend some money to go faster. Gears, converter and tires are on my short list. Maybe I'll find the money over the winter. But I also really want a roll bar with a harness.

10. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

Man I can't catch a break. Irene flooded the local track. No racing this weekend. fail

11. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

Wow ok... after several rainouts, another failed tech inspection and a cleanup at the track after Irene went through, I finally made it back to Island Dragway today. Everything worked out perfect. I ran a best of 12.78 @ 108.9. The only mod I made in the downtime was a Transgo 1-2 shift kit. It definitely made a difference but ironically, mother nature helped me out as well. The track temps were really perfect with almost no humidity. I'm also learning more about driving this thing everytime I go. With a stock converter in the th400 I can't really rev it up much. I've gotta time it so that I stab the throttle while I'm still on the brake just as the amber lights start to drop. On my 12.78 I pass I did this nicely but I red lit. Pulled a 2.18 60' foot though. Remember this is still through a 2.79 open rear and 225/55r15 all season radials. If I get on the converter too early, the carb wants to load up and the car tries to roll the lights. Obviously I need a converter bad. But for the time being I'm extremely happy. I really, really appreciate all the advice you guys have given me. IT has paid off a lot. I NEVER thought I would get from a 14.1 to a 12.7 with the minimal changes I've made. I honestly have only put about 200$ in the car since the first time I went. What a thrill. I've a got to admit it's cool when guys with 10 second cars tell me mine is the coolest car at the track. I'll post the time slip in a bit. Thanks again!!!!

12. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

Pretty excited about this.
    [​IMG]
    Ignore my red light. I decided to just go when the engine sounded right. I swear if I had waited another .2 seconds the carb would have loaded up and I would have bogged horribly. Anyway it was a lot of fun.

13. squirrel

squirrel

won't be long till you're doing this....the A ran 11.68 this time

Attached Files:

14. Read the entire thread...great reading! I watched our very own "flamedabone" bring his model A with pontiac power to the HAMB drags every year it's been going...doing a little better every year 'til he busted off a 10.98 last year after driving the car from S. carolina..or is it N. carolina? anyway, the car runs hard with a 400 in it and a 400 turbo but he cheats a little with a 6-71 blower.
    12s are respectable..especially with a 2.79 gear. Now, if you can only run an 11.....
    BTW, my coupe [a 34] is also running pontiac power..a 370 cu in with a 5 speed and quickchange but it's still being built.

15. Hey cograts on a significant improvement on your times!

What Rocky has stated about "flamedabone"... happened to many others such as "Buzzard"... "DW"... and a boat load of others all kept on improving their times and I believe that's what started the "Yahoo" cup trophy for the fastest car driven there!!

Now they're all damn fast!:cool:

16. sdluck

sdluck

How big are your tires(Dia) smaller tires are just like changing gearing

17. Thats an incredibly lousy 60 ft time. Just think if you changed the gearing and got traction. Like we talked. I do a 1.6 second 0-60ft with my 3810 lb Pontiac with a stock 400. Get that o-60 ft down and thats a low 12 second car!!! Love those Pontiacs!!

18. oldsman32

oldsman32

Hey Modelacitizen,

We're planning to take a '46 Ford to Island Dragway on October 16th. Think you'll be there? It's test and tune only. We want to see what this '46 will do. By the way, it's great to see you got 'er into the 12's. Good job!!

Jeff.

19. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Glad to hear about the progress! This has been a fun thread to follow.

No doubt that car has 11 second potential and still be completely streetable.

20. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

I made my way to south Jersey for the nostalgia drags yesterday. Pretty freaking brutal ride. I wanted to avoid the major highways so I took secondary roads, Man there are parts of rt 206 that are just awful. When I got the track I really looked over my suspension carefully cause I hit a few potholes that clacked my teeth together. Holy...
    The weather was perfect and there were a lot of cars there. Bummed there weren't more guys racing in the 'street rod' class. It was no Jalopy Drags that's for sure. But I met some cool people including 'widowmaker' who's coupe runs in the 11's (when he's not using the tunnel ram haha) and 'onelowc10' who runs a 10 second Opel. Of course the Russo/Santo Willys and the 'Class Reunion' chevy were also there. That early 50's Chevy runs a mechanically injected Olds engine in the 9's!
    As I said the group of cars racing was enormous. 2 or 3 hours between rounds. I only made 2 runs. I drove down on my taller 29" tires to try and maximize my gas mileage so I knew I wouldn't have my best et. On my dial in run I went 13.0 at 110. That's actually a new high speed for me so that was cool.
    And my budding drag racing career is off to a perfect start. I won the first round of eliminations because the other guy red lit. Ironically I made the worst run for me in along time. I never do a burn out because I'm always on cheap radials. But at Atco you have to drive through this little gate thing to get to the lights, and that's right where the water box is. So I thought , meh- my tires are gonna be wet anyway, may as well light it up. So I did a little burnout and staged car. Unfortunately I forgot to clear the carb out, so when the green light dropped, I fell on my face. 13.4 @ 107 with a 2.7 60' hahahaha but... I got the win light. LOL Then I drove home. May as well keep my perfect record in tact right? Actually I just didn't want to be driving on that darned rt 206 in the dark so I bailed early and I guess someone got a by run. haha

21. onelowc10

onelowc10

Hey sorry, i never did get your name. Glad you had a good time if you ever find yourself down this way again the Gassholz would be glad to show ya around.We usually never miss a old time drag at atco spring and fall. just get in touch with Gasshole(scott),widowmaker(ken) or me(onelowc10)Dave and let us know if your around. BTW toby made it to the last round in that blue 41 chevy that was with us, he was in your class. Dave

22. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

cool! Thanks Dave. My name's Ehren. It was nice meeting you too. Thanks for the offer. Maybe next year I can be an honorary gasshole for the day. haha. So what happened in that last round? Who was he paired with, what did they run? Did anyone see what time that full fendered yellow '34 ran? thanks

23. Class Reunion

Class Reunion
    from N.E. PA

We are planning to go to Island on Sunday also, want to try a couple of things.Hoping for good weather,see you guys there.
    Gregg

24. onelowc10

onelowc10

Hey Ehren, Skinny(Toby) made it to the last round but broke the run before, all his belts fell off and knocked his blower belt off so Scott took the alt belt off the crappache and put that and the blower belt back on to get him out there.We kinda knew he was doomed cause he was going against that blue 39ish coupe that ran low 10s but ya never know right? But turned out he ran way off his dial in(maybe blower belt was loose or the motor was way too hot) but you gotta give it that old college try right? As for that yellow 34 all i know is that car burned out till he was off the concrete every run i saw. Dave

25. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

haha crazy. good times!

26. oldsman32

oldsman32

Hello Class Reunion,

If you make it to Island look me up. I'll be towing a chopped red '46 Ford coupe on a trailer. What kind of car are you bringing to the drags?

Jeff.

27. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

Class reunion should be there with an orange 51 Chevy gasser. olds powered, hilborn injected, runs in the mid 9's!!!!
    I'm actually not sure I can go. I kinda spent my drag racing allowance for the month on the Atco deal. We'll see.

28. Class Reunion

Class Reunion
    from N.E. PA

Jeff,on my car modelacitizen nailed it. Hope to see you both there.
    Gregg

29. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

So my drag racing 'season' is over. I'd say over all it was a resounding success haha. I went from 14.1 to 12.7 with about 250$ in parts and under 30 trips down the track. And nothing broke!! Not bad I guess. Most importantly I had tons of fun and learned a lot. I owe a big thanks to all you guys that stopped in and offered advice. It was definitely a huge help. The best advice given to me was merely to get more seat time before I modded anything. I'd say just figuring out how to drive my car (as horrible as it is with all the mismatched parts) probably knocked 6-7 tenths off my et.
    My goal for next season is simply to go faster. Maybe run in the local nostalgia drags at Island. I'd like to see the car do 12.5's on street tires. I've got a 2400 converter waiting to be installed. 3.25 posi gears and a little more cam are on the short list as well. First things first though - roll bar is already being planned. Even though the car always has great manners at the track it just doesn't feel safe going 110 in a tin can with lap belts. So the roll bar and harnesses are going in next.
    Thanks everyone!

30. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

you just gave yourself the best advice... all it takes is one miscue and it could bite you. I'm glad to see you are going this route. The roll bar will help limit flex too which will help eliminate stress on your frame and body. It might even help you hook up once you put the new gears in.