Register now to get rid of these ads!

Buscando El Camino Real

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BeyerAutoSalvage, Oct 9, 2011.

1. BeyerAutoSalvage

BeyerAutoSalvage
    from Trenton FL

Ok, long and rainy Sunday. I was sitting here in our tiny little office taking inventory on a bunch of Chevrolet parts we just purchased, mostly 64 and the year hated there after El Camino and Chevelle stuff, and I have this weird thought- well multiple weird thoughts- first is even the idea of touching a Chevrolet as my project- but the other being that this is rather "late" model for me. I am selling most of these parts "on line" and looking out my window at a fairly complete 64 El Camino in our company colors (Grey and Red) and I started thinking. Then, I thought better of myself. Later I was sitting on the can and reading an article on an old Baja re-creation, and got to thinking, why not? All the good stuff will sell to fund the bare bones project- See, on Saturday somebody scrapped out a perfectly good running 283 that was put into a 72 Cheyenne. The truck is fine and all, but those parts sell well around here, and that 283 aint right for that truck anyhow. So, the proposed idea is to put said 283 into said El Camino and build a sort of Off Road but roadable 64 El Camino. Complete with some 31x10.5 Baja radials on some 10" slot mags complete with bed mounted roll bar and roll bar mounted spare tire- What do y'all think? Painted with red tractor paint, nice, but not spendy, black lettering- and "Buscando El Camino Real" In gold leaf on the rear quarters?

2. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

you asked. i think its a good way to ruin a 64 el camino.BUT its your car,dosen't matter what i think. build it for you.

3. Might be a cool project on race-desert.com
    But not really a hamb sounding project.

4. slammed

slammed

The Dogfight site would be a place for this one.

5. Did you by chance mean Dogpile site?

6. slammed

slammed

Lotta rat rods on this board lately, shiny ones!

7. Special Ed

Special Ed

Sounds like a very traditional build to me...:rolleyes:
    Just like back in the day. :cool:

8. just like they built them in the 40s and 50s,cheap fast,tractor paint and barbwire.

9. BeyerAutoSalvage

BeyerAutoSalvage
    from Trenton FL

I know this is not very HAMB like- but it is very traditional- Alot of 60's cars ran baja- I have had this 64 El Camino (which is in great shape I might add) for 3 years for sale- for $1000 and no takers. So why not have fun with it? Didn't most early fords become Hot Rods because they were nearly free and cheap to build if you had a little ingenuity? This car is no different. We are a used parts and scrap facility, I think this cars' fate is better than going to the crusher- no? Either way- I will post some pics if we decide to do it. All the good stuff is being sold off of it. Anyone need any Camino parts let me know!

10. got any mullets for sale????

11. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

I think you need to go to a head doctor & get a brain put in .MY $.02
    "AND THE BOWTIE ROLLS ON"
    (stop going in the women's room)

12. BeyerAutoSalvage

BeyerAutoSalvage
    from Trenton FL

Lol on the mullets- we saw the 2 biggest mullet doos come in here on Saturday- father and son combo. Remember we live in hard core red neck country- We are going to do this project for the hell of it, but I did expect the razzing. I have many more HAMB friendly vehicles, such as a 1916 Dodge w/354 a 38 Ford 3/4 with flathead daily driver, and just sold our 1956 Ford gasser build.

13. Why do I keep hearing music from "The Deliverance"?

14. I think if you built an actually '64ish baja basher it would be cool. But they didn't have big lift kits or 31' baja radials yet. It won't count as a traditional rod or custom and for whatever reason we don't really embrace the baja race here but it would be cool if built to resemble '64 and function in that atmosphere.

Actually I lived really close to El Camino Real in '64. If you were really looking for the high way in '64 your El Camino would have either been a mild custom or a street brawler.

Oh all this off roader talk reminded me. I was trying to get the Anti-Rod ready to hit the road before the bad weather sets in. It had some leaks that I adressed last weekend, one was in the heater core. Well I made it worse, :eek: gold leaf seems a little much but I am going to letter on the heater if it aint broke fix it 'til it is.

Does one of you fellas have a heater core for a '61 Willys? :eek:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  15. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

16. slammed

slammed

That 'they used what they could find back in the day' will not tie in the fact that your off-roader is just that. The criteria of this site is? Hot Rods and Customs. Sure go have fun with it, build it. But you are ready stated it id not very HAMB friendly.

17. badshifter

badshifter

Post pics, it gives the mods something to do.

18. Something that we should recognize is that a lot of our prized possesions needed an off road vehicle to get to the trailer so we could haul them home. While I don't personally think that an El Camino Pre-Runner is exactly a traditional build it seems that it would be a good candidate to travel out across the back 40 to haul an old A Bone out of the woods.

Disclaimer:
    That is just an opinion and not necessarily the focus of this site.