Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 52 Sedan Deluxe Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scottydc, Nov 21, 2010.

1. scottydc

scottydc
    from Waco TX

Engine mounts cleaned up.
    Passenger side. Modified factory mount
    [​IMG]

Drivers side, I fabricated this to move the mount point forward to add room for steering and exhaust.
    [​IMG]

2. fireman_033

fireman_033

Hey man we need an update here I just picked up a 54 210 and the front end is pretty well shot. I have located a jag front and been readin a lot on this swap on the front but I'm peaked in interest on the rear now... Scott

3. scottydc

scottydc
    from Waco TX

I HAVENT GAVE UP ON HER!!!! The Texas temperatures of 105+ have really slowed my progress down... BUT, I've got the motor set in, mounted, Im gonna get some chrome on that motor, and am currently working on setting up my clutch linkage.

Had a hell of a time finding the right throwout bearing to work with the 72 clutch stuff. Seems they had two different styles.. finally got it worked out. T-50 Borg Warner is all cuddled up to the 250, I cant wait to bang through the gears of that five speed!

I ordered and received a body mount bolt kit from chevys of the 40s. I decided to make my own bushings out of thinner neoprene rubber. (we'll see how well this works out)

Ive decided to split the stock exhaust manifold and modify the stock intake manifold for a 2 carb setup. Going low buck.. I want to get the drivetrain finished up and running then start the body work. FUN FUN!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Hello Scotty
    Your doing a good job so far, i'm waiting anxiously for your comments on how it
    steers and handles. I have a '51 wagon and i'm still not sure if I want to use the
    MKII or rebuild the stock front end. I know the Jag front and rear has been done
    before, but certainly not to the extent that the MKII has been done and it's always
    good to have choices.
    I think I can speak for everyone who's following your thread we want you to succeed
    in your project because it gives us inspiration and hope for our projects so keep up
    the good work and take lots of pictures were all behind you.
    My Regards
    Gene

5. scottydc

scottydc
    from Waco TX

Thank u sir, I can't wait to be able to put more time to it.

6. scottydc

scottydc
    from Waco TX

I’ve been working this weekend on getting the clutch worked out. So far so good. I fabbed a bracket to extend the clutch fork out and down so that the lever coming from the master cylinder would have a straight pull instead of the awkward angle the factory designed setup had. I need to clearance the brake lever just a little or when the clutch and brake are both pushed there’s going to be a little binding, no biggie about 1/4" clearance will be plenty. The clutch engages smoothly and the pedal will have a nice feel to it. I'm really happy with it and glad I didn’t decide to go hydraulic.
    [​IMG]</O:p>
    <O:p></O:p>
    <O:p>[​IMG]</O:p>
    <O:p
    Now to move onto the trannys rear crossmember. </O:p

7. scottydc

scottydc
    from Waco TX

Well I made it to the part that worried me the most! Working on getting my steering lined out. SO far easy as pie! I converted the stock column with a bearing and locking collar. Tomorrow Im going to fab a plate to bolt the column to the firewall. I'll post pics when I get it done. And give a breakdown on how I handled it.

8. scottydc

scottydc
    from Waco TX

Just about got the steering. I may make the shaft that comes out the column just a little shorter to lessen the angle on the top u joint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. scottydc

scottydc
    from Waco TX

I spent the weekend cleaning and painting the bottom side of the body.. you can eat off it its so clean and nice and satin black too.

But Im really excited about this below! A little extra "humph" for the "lil" 250!! Were going TURBO baby!! lol my uncle who's also a die hard car guy laughed at me when I told him I was going with an inline for my build.... we'll see who laughs last!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Good Choice Scotty!

11. That turbo should wakein' things up a bit. :)

12. scottydc

scottydc
    from Waco TX

Thanks guys. I've always wanted a forced induction. For now I'll install this turbo on the stock motor learn with, play around with it, keep the boost low and have fun. I also want to have a "built" 250 to play with later.

13. scottydc

scottydc
    from Waco TX

Lots of progress today. Body shimmed and mounted. The doors aligned and working as intended. Finally ready to move on to some body work.... gonna chop it soon. I removed 2 of the jag springs on the rear to see what it looks like lower.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After: Instantly tucking rim! With plenty of travel left ,although I'm contemplating something different.

[​IMG]

14. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Subscribed to this thread just to keep up with the progress. Got a 50 sedan delivery that I'm keeping all original suspension wise but this is interesting. Ought to be a real smooth cruiser.

15. scottydc

scottydc
    from Waco TX

Just a little messing around with the Turbo setup to kinda show whats going on with it. The stock intake should work really well with this setup for now. I may switch to a better intake later down the road. On this one I just need to drill/tap 2 more holes and maybe open up the throat just a bit more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will also have to reclock the turbine inlet so that it points down instead of at the valve cover. You can also see that with the Jag IFS theres still plenty of room for piping. :) The wastegate is adjustable.. meaning you can add or remove boost with it... Still plenty of headroom under the hood.

This part of the project has put a lot of wind in my sails for motivation!

[​IMG]

16. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

take a look at a Mustang ragtop hydro-boost unit.

17. That is an interesting turbo setup. So the carb is not a blow-through design? The boost and fuel get "mixed" after the carb???

Regardles, I like it. Can't wait to see further progress.

18. scottydc

scottydc
    from Waco TX

Yep not a blow through, its a draw through, it pulls the boost through the carb and mixes the fuel with it. They used them factory on Late 70s Buicks and the turbo Pontiacs of that era. Its supposed to be much easier to tune then a blow through. Less power I'm sure but you cant get too greedy when you're running 250 cubes... :D

19. scottydc

scottydc
    from Waco TX

Thanks, but I actually ended up using one of the Mini street rod type boosters. It fits very nice on the frame rails under the body.

20. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

Got a good buddy with a 50 Chevy Hard Top that wants to do this front suspension, I'm reading and forwarding all of this to him! Thanks a lot!

Sam

21. sun down

sun down
    from tx

neat car and great work, I lived in Bel-mead as a kid

22. Great thread. You've nailed that jag rear setup by the looks. You made it look easy. When I pulled my jag rear out with the intention of doing same I just thought, stuff it, this thing is too complex. Now I am thinking I should keep it instead of good old ebayin' it.

23. seanbelushi

seanbelushi

Any updates on this one?

24. scottydc

scottydc
    from Waco TX