Register now to get rid of these ads!

Jim Kurten Interview/Secret Wrecking Yard

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Michelley, Sep 23, 2011.

1. radio_king

radio_king

Thanks for another great history lesson and the awesome pics.Deserves a six star rating!

2. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

Awesome read. Thanks

3. farmer12

farmer12

That was good reading, thanks for posting!

4. 65Riviera

65Riviera

Great article and pics, hard to read about him trowing all his "stuff" away tho!!!

Thanx Michelley.

5. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Good stuff!!

6. Thanks for taking your time to put this together Michelley!

Jim has really lived life. What a story. Pilot at 18, 100mph in a T at the birth of hot rodding, WOW, what a lucky guy.

Thanks again,
    Mark

7. Rikster

Rikster

Great story, great photos!

Thanks so much for putting this together and share it here.

8. Very greatful for your time and effort in this story.Also all the pictures were great too.Thanks for posting and sharing this with all of us.

9. k-member

k-member

10. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

11. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Michelley,
    Found these pix of M.A. Hope that they Jar Jim K's. memory :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I was intrigued by your story on Jim Kurten, I knew about much of his ignition history, not so much about the monrovia airport history.
    I posted the above shots, for visual reference.

Mr. Kurten had a shop in Alhambra off of Date St. and I understood hm to work over @ Alhambra Airport as well. The Monrovia connection threw me, We learn something new every day! ;).

Thank you for writing a great and factual story.

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

WOW! What a great read, and the photos are first class. Welcome to the HAMB, please post more stories.

13. skywolf

skywolf

Thank you for taking the time to research and write your posts. Wonderful reading.

14. Michelley

Michelley

Part 7
    by Michelle M. Yiatras
    Timechanic ™

To be expected, I have received PM’s inquiring…So, here’s the deal. The secret wrecking yard dude is eccentric (is THAT right?!), and he requested anonymity. He allows visitors by personal invitation only. Once we brought along a third party friend, and the dude offered David and I a cold drink, and not our friend standing there. I laughed (before I gave him mine), because he already spilled his sloffee all over the inside console, dash, seats, floors, outside roof of our car, and left rings all over our counters at home. We just detailed it a couple days before. I have a few rules of my own now. This guy comes nowhere near our cars or computers with a hot or cold drink. Anyways, the eccentric wrecking yard dude asks astronomical prices, which is another way of saying, “it’s not for sale”. The chrome strips or door handles are reserved for this-n-that projects. A fellow’s entitled to his stuff and his dreams. The reason David got some choice filets is because he had something rare to trade that the guy needed for one of his own projects.
    As for Old Jim, he’s very slow for used to be a speed racer. He warned me not to get old. It takes him all morning to get ready for breakfast, and by then it’s lunch. That takes a couple hours, and he doesn’t want to be bothered. Then he’s feisty for a couple hours of afternoon business. I catch him then, but it’s mission difficult if he forgets to put in his hearing aid or his wife hangs up the phone (she doesn’t like girls calling for him). He enjoys telling his stories though. His mind is still sharp. Perhaps when I print this thread out for him, with Cyclone Kevin’s Monrovia Airport pics, it will jar him to find the possibles box!

Last edited: May 16, 2014
  15. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

Michelle - I am surprised --- You have got to work on the Mrs
    more in a good way -- He is #1 talk to her he will trade
    for the attention -- *She is your key* -- That might be a story
    in it's self -- From her side of his Hot Roding day's -- keep going!

16. Michelley

Michelley

Believe me when I tell you, LB+1, Mrs. K (all due respect) couldn't care less,
    and even didn't want him doing these things.
    I have to tactfully work on him...
    However,
    I do have a new article coming up
    on one of the coolest hot rod wives ever,
    and *she is the key*. I'll keep you all apprised of that sportin story!
    All the Best!
    ~M

elgringo71 likes this.
  17. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

Michelley

As always!!! You have done another great job!! Thanks for your hard work

18. Six-Shooter

Six-Shooter
    from Ohio

Great biography you compiled here! I enjoyed reading this! You should write a book!

19. I do Love your Writeing:D

20. shiftervic

shiftervic
    from So. Cal.

21. Another great article! Heartbreaking about the pictures and artifacts, but hopefully he unearths some good photos.

22. Michelley

Michelley

Secret Wrecking Yard
    Part 8

by Michelle M. Yiatras
    Timechanic ™

When we were at his house, Jim Kurten gave us his K.R. Wilson distributor timing fixture for Ford V-8 and Lincoln-Zephyr, that he had ever since he started in business as Kurten Aero-Motive. It’s the KRW 1940 upgrade to the metal box instead of the earlier wooden one. The timing fixture sets on the metal base, which also serves as a box to hold the dry cell for the timing indicator light. He had a couple wooden based ones too that he used earlier. With adaptors to hold different types of distributors. “The wooden ones were good for Fords. The metal ones were adapted for Lincoln 12’s also.” The wood based ones grew legs, so he was sure to metal stamp his name on the flange of the timing fixture. Notice it is still in excellent shape because of his old world workmanship ethic.
    This was for Jim’s personal use. Every ignition that he made and sold under the Kurten name was set up on that fixture. Including doing conversions for individual customers. Total production of Kurten tagged special ignitions amounted to only about 200, so they are quite rare. Mostly Fords, about 150, and about 50 or so Lincolns. “Lincoln was a much better distributor as the dual points were already set up, so I got them to fire 8 instead of 12. They were hard to get and expensive even then.” Dual coil conversions were done for high performance on hot rods and at the dry lakes. He started production at serial number 1, and this KAM ignition of ours pictured with the timing fixture was #127, riveted with the KAM name plate. When companies like Bell Auto Parts or So-Cal Speed Shop, and others sold his distributors for $40-65, the split was 40% store and 60% Kurten.
    These early distributors had their two sets of points relocated on the points plate. Facilitating the use of dual coils on a Ford ignition decreases the lag time for the coil to develop full saturation thus accommodating higher rpm’s without cutting out. Converting the V12 Lincoln distributors for V8 use accomplished the same thing conveniently already providing the dual coils in a single package. Use of scintilla magneto points insured reliability and longevity. Kurten and the Spaldings were the first ones known to have done this. Generally Ford and Lincoln distributors were only good up to 4500 rpm’s and the Kurten and Spalding conversions were good for over 8000 rpm’s.
    The program rotes culled from the SCTA time trials meets at El Mirage in 1948, for instance, of roadster racers setting record paces jumped with Kurten ignitions reads: Don Baker “Road Runners” ’29 Model A #148, Nick Christos “Dusters” ’32 Ford #821, Dick Finkle “Road Runners” ’27 T #149, King Fischer “Road Runners” ’29 Model A #151, Al Fisher “Sidewinders” ’32 Ford supercharged #452, Harbison & Snook “Gear Grinders” ’29 Model A #235, Robert Hayes “Whistlers” ’27 T #688, Lynn & Stanford “Gear Grinders” V8-60 powered bellytank #233, Pat O’Brien “Throttlers” ’32 Ford #412, Bill Phy “Road Runners” bellytank streamliner #145, Roger Sale “Gear Grinders” ’27 T #208, Donald Shutt “Dolphins” ’29 Model A #328, Dick Smith “Quarter Milers” ’32 Ford #598, Paul Swanson “Stokers” ’29 Model A #66, Roland Tibbett “Gaters” ’29 Model A #203, plus Frank Baron “Road Runners”, James Bradford “Whistlers”, Bill Flynn “Pasadena Roadster Club”, Allen Jennings “Whistlers”, Ross Steckel “Dusters”, Bob Taylor “Dolphins”, etc. Both the Bill NieKamp ’29 Model A roadster (which was featured in Hot Rod magazine March 1950 and won the 1950 National Roadster Show’s first “America’s Most Beautiful Roadster”, and subsequently clocked 140+ mph at El Mirage in 1952), and the Ray De Fillipi/Ricky Nelson ’32 roadster (which was featured in Rod and Custom magazine April 1956 with Tony La Masa, and on the cover of HR August 1960, and a couple episodes of “The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet” in 1958), ran Kurten dual-coil ignitions. Earlier on, “Edelbrock ran my distributors on their hot rods. Glenn Warner who worked at Bell Auto Parts ran one on his hopped up V8. Blair Brothers (Don & Bruce) Speed Shop in Pasadena on Foothill Blvd had one of the fastest cars at 135+ mph with one of my distributors. I talked with him a couple months ago about it. We check in now and then.” Then I informed him of Don Blair’s recent passing at age 90. He was saddened…
    Jim Kurten dwelled in the best of times in the best of places. Turning centenarian is just like another speed record for him. “Stay young and you won’t have trouble remembering things. The old bag of bones wears out, and you have trouble getting around, yet my health is superb. All my competitors have gone on, the Spalding Brothers, the Meyer (Eddie & Louis) Brothers. I’ll be 97 this week. Original Lincoln distributors are almost impossible to find and dreadfully expensive now. The parts have been combed over, and they only made a small amount to begin with. I’d like to see the proof of the afterlife, nobody leaves a forwarding address. I’ll find out when it’s my stretch. My doctor says I’ll break 100!”
    Playing Jim’s original HMV label 78’s on his Thorens turntable from the era (I have the albums on Vocalion digitally remastered CD’s, although Jim graciously gifted me with his originals, I’ll use them for display). In the jaunty lyrics of a melody by his favorite, the Ray Noble Orchestra, featuring Al Bowlly on vocals, and composed by Noel Coward for his hit revue Words and Music:

“H called the tune, youth’s over soon,
    that is the natural law.
    There’s a younger generation,
    knock, knock, knocking at the door.
    Why sit and fret, vainly regret,
    things that have gone before?
    knock, knock, knocking at the door.
    Though the world is swell for love themes,
    There’s wisdom above beams
    to compensate more than their minds.
    When the joys of youth have passed them,
    this should last them
    all their lives.
    I’ve had my fun, all that is done,
    why should I sigh for more?
    knock, knock, knocking at the door.”
    “The Younger Generation”, 1932.

All Photos © Michelley Timechanic™

Attached Files:

23. brandon

brandon

Cool stuff...thanks for posting

24. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Michelley absolutely GREAT stuff as usual....really appreciate your time and persistence. The "junk" yard shots are amazing and that KAM ignition pictured is to die for! Always look forward to your posts!

25. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Very Cool Michelley,
    That tool is invaluable as is the continuing story!

26. 296ardun

296ardun

Another great feature, so important to capture these guys who made stuff themselves with no computers, often no manuals, just talent and hard work. Michelley, hope all of this well-written and researched history winds up in a book you write...don't know anyone who could do it better!!!

27. sierra rod shop

sierra rod shop

Great stuff, super cool

28. Matthew

Matthew
    from Burien, WA

29. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

As I was reading this wonderful thread by MichelleY, I was struck by one particular thing that I happened onto.......in the listing of dry lakes racers who used Jim Kurten's ignitions I saw a man's name that is very important to me...... here's a screenshot of that part:

[​IMG]

You will see the name, Nick Christos, a man I came to know very well and become a very close friend to over the past 11 years.......Nick was a member of the *DUSTERS* from Los Angeles and raced in SCTA in the years following his discharge from the Navy after World War II.......it is fitting that I should mention him here on Veteran's Day......he was a vibrant and generous man who became a bit of a father figure to me......he shared so much of his life, not just from the dry lakes days, but in recent times as well........Nick always included me in family gatherings and especially on Father's Day when I would be invited to share in his family's tradition of all getting together and having a breakfast to celebrate the fathers in the family......since I was always away from home and my kids each Father's Day to attend the L.A. Roadster Show, Nick was sensitive to this and I became a member of his family for that weekend.....

So, what is the connection here with Jim Kurten? Nick swore by Kurten's modified ignition systems and used them in his roadster over many races...... here are a couple of pics of Nick's C class roadster on El Mirage in 1948.....

[​IMG]

And here is Nick pushing it up to the starting line......

[​IMG]

I met Nick Christos through, of all things, an eBay transaction back in the year 2000.....I sold him an old ignition part that I had and we got talking about such things somehow, and he asked me if I had ever been out to see the L.A. Roadster Show or El Mirage? I hadn't, so he invited me to be his guest and that's how my wonderful friendship with this man started........

[​IMG]

He even stocked in a quantity of my favorite drink, A & W. Diet Root Beer to make me feel at home.........

[​IMG]

Nick was the man who introduced me to El Mirage, a legendary and mystical place that I had only read about in hot rod books.......I was fairly vibrating when we first drove onto the lakebed where he had raced so many times back in the late 1940's......

[​IMG]

Nick's son, Sam, and grandson, Nicholas were also there with us and I had the time of my life!

[​IMG]

We bumped into Tony Baron out on the lake.....

[​IMG]

Nick was rebuilding his old Deuce roadster that he still had all of these years so that he could make it streetable.......he taught me so much about building a car that I will always remember.....a very generous man.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you look carefully on the top shelf in the following pic you will see one of Jim Kurten's distributors there in front of the gallon can.....

[​IMG]

This thread by MichelleY is really about Jim Kurten, but seeing my old pal, Nick Christos' name mentioned in it just triggered a desire in me to add a little bit of personalization about a man who used and swore by Jim's ignitions......

I know that MichelleY will be taking this thread to Jim so that he can see the comments, and I hope that it gives him some satisfaction to know a little about a guy who used his distributors......

I am sad to say that my wonderful friend, Nick, a member of the *Greatest Generation* passed away on the 4th of July last year, 2010.....somehow, the date of Nick's passing is so appropriate.....I will always remember him fondly and treasure the time I was able to spend with him over the years........

[​IMG]

So, Jim.....my best wishes to you, especially on this Veteran's Day...

Kind regards.....

CB

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  30. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

MichelleY . . .. Oh, you're so phuq'n hot. You're a woman who gets it, & knows what it is.

Love your writing, even though it has a bunch of big words & I hate to read. Love the photography too meja.