Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 27 T coupe build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bilt, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Bilt

Bilt

Ever since I was a little kid one of my dads friends let me drive his 23 T bucket. Since then I've been hooked on T's. I then came across a picture of the neatest coupes I've come across and knew I wanted to build one similar to it.

Since all cool cars need a cool name I am going to call this "Exquisite", It is going to be my first ground up build and the name "Exquisite" was the name of my wife's first hair salon she owned. Since I'm naming it after her first salon she might throw some money my way!!

I want to be clear. I am in no way a professional at building cars and would like advise as I go along. I know I will be building this thing three to four times until I get it right I could use some education from you guys along the way. I have been watching other builds and getting inspired by them so now maybe I can inspire someone else to start a new project. The way I see it, if I can do it then anyone can.
    Barclay

Attached Files:

• 0.JPG
      0.JPG
      File size:
      232.8 KB
      Views:
  2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Good luck. There's tons of talent here. Ask questions. Just pay attention. Simple.

3. Bilt

Bilt

First step...Find a body which I could start with. I was able to find one in a friend's backyard which he said he dug up in a field. It looked decent so I bought it and drug it home. As I found out it is probably not the best starting point but I'm not afraid of screwing up a mint body. Besides I'm wanting to learn how to build a car....this will teach me for sure!!!

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      305.5 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      327.6 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      324.7 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      296.8 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      347.2 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      348.8 KB
      Views:
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      323 KB
      Views:
  4. Bilt

Bilt

I then ran down a model A frame which looks like it has had a few lives lived. First it was a car then it was turned into a "hay" wagon which is the way I found it sitting in a field. I was able to get it bought for a very resonable price and drug it home as well.

Attached Files:

• 10.jpg
      10.jpg
      File size:
      349 KB
      Views:
    • 11.jpg
      11.jpg
      File size:
      318.3 KB
      Views:

5. Bilt

Bilt

Time to tear into the body to see what is left and what needs replaced. I removed the deck lid, doors, then the rear tray area fell off. Not a good feeling when that happens but its just metal so it can be fixed....I hope.

Attached Files:

• 12.jpg
      12.jpg
      File size:
      291.7 KB
      Views:
    • 13.jpg
      13.jpg
      File size:
      282.7 KB
      Views:
    • 14.jpg
      14.jpg
      File size:
      302.5 KB
      Views:
    • 15.jpg
      15.jpg
      File size:
      292.4 KB
      Views:
    • 16.jpg
      16.jpg
      File size:
      308.2 KB
      Views:
    • 17.jpg
      17.jpg
      File size:
      316.3 KB
      Views:
    • 18.jpg
      18.jpg
      File size:
      310.5 KB
      Views:
  6. 117harv

117harv

GOOD stuff, keep the updates and pics coming.

7. Bilt

Bilt

I was happy to find that both doors are in decent shape and will just need new skins. The front subrails are in good shape but the back ones have returned to nature along time ago.

Attached Files:

• 20.jpg
      20.jpg
      File size:
      299.5 KB
      Views:
    • 21.jpg
      21.jpg
      File size:
      280.2 KB
      Views:
    • 22.jpg
      22.jpg
      File size:
      62.8 KB
      Views:
    • 23.jpg
      23.jpg
      File size:
      61.4 KB
      Views:
    • 24.jpg
      24.jpg
      File size:
      83.8 KB
      Views:
  8. benflathead

benflathead

Howells sheetmetal do a heap of patch panels for these girls. I've got a coupe and building a coupster. Good luck with it.

9. Bilt

Bilt

I then cut the front suspension out from the model A frame and got it inside the shop. I found about fifty pounds of leaf springs which need to be dealt with. After a can of PD Blaster I was able to get the leafs broke loose from the shackles.

Attached Files:

• 26.jpg
      26.jpg
      File size:
      303.8 KB
      Views:
    • 27.jpg
      27.jpg
      File size:
      320.6 KB
      Views:
    • 28.jpg
      28.jpg
      File size:
      301.5 KB
      Views:
    • 29.jpg
      29.jpg
      File size:
      310.9 KB
      Views:
  10. Bilt

Bilt

The day in the shop was coming to the end so I couldn't resist sitting it on a frame which I jigged up for a 23 T years ago. Just wanted to see what I had going and show the wife so she might just get the vision as well. That is where the day ended and now I'm getting out the catalogs to start ordering some parts. I think I'm going to focus on the frame and get it a roller first which will give me some time to get some panels bought for the body.

Attached Files:

• 30.jpg
      30.jpg
      File size:
      86.9 KB
      Views:
    • 31.jpg
      31.jpg
      File size:
      74.6 KB
      Views:
    • 32.jpg
      32.jpg
      File size:
      80.9 KB
      Views:
    • 25.jpg
      25.jpg
      File size:
      244.7 KB
      Views:
  11. Bilt

Bilt

benflathead...thanks for the info. I read your build thread on the coupester last night and loved it. I like your style. I did wonder how much it would be to ship the back window area for the coupe body from you to me. lol Figured it would be cheaper to run one down locally since I cannot find anyone who reproduces that piece.

12. 94hoghead

94hoghead

can't go wrong with a T!

13. 117harv

117harv

Try and keep the new parts ordering to a minimum, use seasoned vintage parts where and when you can. Used parts will almost allways keep the cost down and give your ride a true vintage hot rod look and feel:)

14. jipp

jipp

looks like you got some good tin to start with. i too was hooked on T's at a very young age.. probably 15... but growing up in the woods street rods etc were not the norm.. 4x4s ruled.. wanted a 69 ford f250 but could not afford one so i got built a baja bug for my first car. well, life has marched on.. and ill be 37 in oct.. and my health has gone down hill since i had a major accident.. and just couple of days ago cut my finger in half.. so im healing from that now. hopefully ill still be able to play guitar but time will tell.. anyhow, my point is i hope to start some kind of build this winter on a T.. so ill be following yor build as im new to a total ground up build too. so good luck. and i like the green t you choose for inspiration.. very cool.
    rock on.
    chris.

15. nickk

nickk

goood start, love a T esp a coupe

16. Bilt

Bilt

Thanks for all the postitive comments. Knowing people are watching seems to help keep me on track of getting this up and running.

17. Bilt

Bilt

Update of whats been going on for the last week between work and family. I have been looking for an engine and trans for the car and now have three choices.
    1. Go the easy way and put the 283 SBC which I bought for $200 with a 350 turbo transmission. Engine needs rebuilt and I know nothing about it.
    2. Stay true to the roots and put my 292 Y block in it which came from an old Ford pick up. It has two transmissions, one auto and a three speed. Engine and transmission needs rebuilt and I'm looking for something which I can drive out of state to shows. Not positive on this enigne yet.
    3. A friend gave me a 429 out of a 69? Lincoln with a C6 tranny. This enigine has history from the town in which I live. The old owner who has passed owned a lumber yard in town and was big in the 1/4 mile scene in his day. The engine runs and will only need the fluid changed. I like the history of the engine but no one actually knows what it is. Rumors says it was an original four barrel engine and now has just over 400 hp. I like this engine option because of the history but not crazy about running such a huge engine in my little T.
    I was planning on running a 8.8 rear end for the car because they are easier, cheaper and I already have one. If I go the 429 route I think I will be in the market for a nine inch for safety and durability reasons. I think I probably better beef up my frame because I think my little T might just turn into a beast instead of a weekend toy.

18. 32 hudson

32 hudson

I think you should go with a small engine .In a light weight car like that. you should get good gas milage and still have some kick for fun.

19. DirtyJohn

DirtyJohn

It can turn into a beast in a hurry...but sometimes that's fun!!! 429 sounds pretty groovy!

20. Blacksmith54

Blacksmith54
    from Phoenix AZ

Even with a small engine in it they tend to be wicked quick. T's can be a hand full if set up wrong but if set up right it is hard to find something that has more smiles per mile than a "T". As I am a proponent of NOT using a Condition Hopeless Entire Vehicle Relies On Left Over Engine Technology power plants and for my T-bucket I am using a 331 Hemi bored out to stock 354 pistons cause I have a set that a friend of mine gave me and I am using the small heads that came with the industrial engine I should have a crisp engine my son used one of my 460s in his T-bucket he made for college as his final grade (A of course) My recommendation is to go with the 429 you will find about twenty SBC to almost any other engine in a "T" and every one just walks on by but will spend a minute or ten talking to you with a different engine in it also we have a 2010 Mustang and the T is faster, handle's better, and stops shorter. So done right T's still are way cool and Too Much Fun.[​IMG]:cool:

To read the rest of the story check out his posts
    crazed_lunatik

21. Blacksmith54

Blacksmith54
    from Phoenix AZ

oh yea nine inch units are not as dime a dozen as they used to be but every old Station wagon had one so if you find one in a U-Pull-It yard it should be reasonable also the 8.8 is the replacement for the nine and parts to make them work is avalable I would run it as I have it, worry about having to replace it after it is built, after all these things tend to be a long term work in progress.

22. Bilt

Bilt

Its been awhile so I will give a quick update. I decided on the 283 engine which will get rebuilt and might get a three duece setup on it. I have also built a new frame using 2"x6" tubing with a kick up. The front suspionsion has been ordered from speedway and should be here to get hung by the end of the week. Funny how these things change direction while building them. The frame is more of a "highboy" style frame. I liked the looks of a frame which I saw on here on a 27 modified so I kinda borrowed the look of it. I will get pictures posted of the frame as soon as I get them downloaded. I have also added some 1" tuding within the body to get it braced up.

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      431.4 KB
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      508.7 KB
      Views:
  23. Murch

Murch

Looks like a great start, T's are cool, keep at it!

Murch.

24. The_Monster

The_Monster

So where are you at with this build? Ever finish it?

25. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER