Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 53 Pontiac custom build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by volksjunky, Jan 15, 2011.

1. rodl

rodl

Okay I've gotten over my 1st Shock, Horror feeling.:eek: Looking at later pix it appears you are doing a mighty fine job, and actually using some gray matter to work out the final appearance, rather than rip,bust and tear!;) And I like what I see.Goodonya. ps if I sound like an old fart it's probably because I am:D Back in the early 60's when I had a DA haircut, we dechromed like crazy;) I also have a 74 Firebird Ram Air which is dechromed,and looks absolutely Ballsy!;)
    I'll keep posted on this because I like your style and your welding technique!:)
    rodl

2. volksjunky

volksjunky

I always wanted a DA haircut when I was a kid but mom wasnt having it,but for some reason let me have a mohawk later on ? I'd have one now but the top of my head has grown into what i think Bill Cosbey referred to as a reverse mohawk ? Bald as hell !
    Anyways, Im definitely going for a late fifties early sixties thing so the chrome had to go !

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  3. Newcastlegut

Newcastlegut
    from Benicia,CA

So what's the progress looking like? I like a lot of your ideas and am interested in how it's going.

4. rodl

rodl

Check out a thread on here about molasses dips - it works a treat!:)
    RodL

5. Kustomline54

Kustomline54

thats a great job your doing there! i admire your dedication for getting that cool car a 2nd chance of life on the road. Just imo dont ever chop it, everything else is a-ok. will be a stunning car when finished.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  6. Great work on the bodywork. I guess you´ve done this kind of thing before!
    Good plan to ditch the chrome on the hood. It is ugly and doesn´t belong on a Kustom.

7. Original57

Original57

Talk about keepin yourself busy! This is a cool thread. Keep the updates comin and keep up the good work. :)

8. volksjunky

volksjunky

Wow,havent checked my own thread in quite a while ! The car is just sitting under a cover right now.Had opportunity to make some money doing a 58 VW panel so its been kinda sucking up my time. I did take a bunch of new pics but somehow have a shit card in the camera. Will try to get some stuff updated soon ,thanks for the compliments...

9. orula

orula

Very nice work!

10. 58 Yeoman

58 Yeoman
    from Lacon, IL

Do you have any pix of the completed hood? I've often wondered about changing the look of the hood on my '41.

11. volksjunky

volksjunky

I have some buried somewhere. My camera lost a ton of stuff last fall so i'll have to dig.I plan on having it back in the garage this week ,I can get some then.

12. 53catalina

53catalina

13. stamierdodge

stamierdodge

any updates man? love the build!

14. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Lovin it. i really dig ponchos of this era, bombs or customs. your metal work is very good.

15. rene53catalina

rene53catalina

great car man , but in the first post you say it is a 54 , why is that?

16. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Im builing a 51 chev so heres a reply

17. volksjunky

volksjunky

Yes ,there is progress ! Ill post pics later on tonight. I finally got the car back in the garage,the nose is off and the eight is coming out :(
    It has some serious valve issues and it has spun a main bearing. I had a buddy give me a good offer on the old motor and tranny so theyre going bye bye this weekend. I will be replacing it with a rebuilt 65 327 it has 202 fuelies and has been hopped up a bit.I scored a brand new T350 still in the crate in trade for some paint work. Ill be smoothing out the firewall and installing airride while its all torn apart.
    Thanks for the interest,and sorry about the small block guys :rolleyes:but to have a motor pushing damn near 400 hp for less than I can rebuild the eight for wasnt a hard decision ....

18. volksjunky

volksjunky

It was advertised as a 54 when I bought it,I than figured out quickly it was a 53.

19. knoxbrendon

knoxbrendon

Lookin great man

20. sobpunx

sobpunx

Looking good! now add some new pics!

21. 60 ford

60 ford

Great looking car, good luck

22. RDR

RDR

Just found your thread and VERY impressive!!
    Do like the mild custom look you're going for...and realize it certainly takes more than MILD body work on one of those chrome laden Ponchos !!
    Whole front end effect is great looking.. good job.

23. rene53catalina

rene53catalina

ok , i understand , can`t wait to see the end result
    i also have a 53 catalina , and it is a great car , as far as i know there are only 2 of them in the netherlands :D

24. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Cool project. i like what youre doing so far..

and i dont blame you on the 327.. ive put up with a straight 8 for too long.. they just cant comete with modern driving conditions.

25. rene53catalina

rene53catalina

327`s are great engines , i had one in my 68 kingswood , they are strong.
    but as far as i am concerned it has to be pretty serious before i take my straight eight out and replace it with a v8 .
    i love this thing :D

26. volksjunky

volksjunky

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  27. volksjunky

volksjunky

Sorry,done this more than once ,but having a hell of a time with pics.
    Anyway,some pics of where the car was at when i stopped in August.
    Most of the body work roughed in,and a crazy idea I had for a floating grill. Will come up with something cooler for sure.
    The other pics are of the car presently,nose off and motor ready to pull.
    i actually pulled all the suspension and started cleaning the frame a bit.
    Gotta borrow my buddies cherry picker in the next few days,pull the motor and finish cleaning things up. I'll fit the motor and build mounts after that.
    i also fitted the passenger side air bag yesterday.The set up I have is an airride technologies kit for a 65 impala,the cups and averything fit perfect without any cutting.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  28. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Car looks good volksjunky! Are you planning on using the original bumper?

29. volksjunky

volksjunky

Thanks ! Im up in the air on bumpers. I dont have an original front. Shipping stuff like that is just aweful here. I was contemplating 49-52 chevy bumpers, I have acccess to some that I could fit,than just buy some new chrome ones down the road.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  30. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota