Register now to get rid of these ads!

anyone else tired of low balling tire kickers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by crackernutz, Oct 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

exactly

2. inlinr6

inlinr6

I lowball everything,I'm looking for the best deal.If that bothers anybody I'll bring some tissues. Haggle is the part of selling used.

3. I only ever got asking price once of anything ive ever sold.... a utility trailer I posted on CL. I got like 15 calls in one day on it. None were lowball offers really. All I can figure is I wasn't asking enough.

Conversely all I can figure about the other stuff is I is I was asking too much.

OR

I had bad timing. Its kind of a shitty market to try to sell an old car right now.

4. reasonable offers are one thing, low balling is another. low ballers get a price raise. :D

5. CARtoons Magazine

CARtoons Magazine
    from Canada

Low balling sounds like a technique a woman would do.

6. phat rat

phat rat

My answer to "What's your bottom dollar?" I have a price on it, if you want to make an offer do so I won't be offended. I won't tell you a lower price because you're still going to offer less than that.

7. bluthndr

bluthndr

Maybe I'm just irritable and impatient, but I won't sell on Craigslist just because of that. I'm pretty much downright rude to some of the people that have showed up trying to buy things I let other people sell in front of my shop.

Low baller: "Will you take X for it, cause that's all I have (or it's worth)."

Me: "Nope - they can part it out for more than that - they're asking a very fair price and I know it will sell in a couple of days. I'm busy and need to get back to work. Sorry you drove all that way."

Then I turn around and walk away.

For every 10 people that call about something - who say they'll, "be up and bring cash" 90% never show - I won't even commit to meeting them anymore - I tell them to call again when they're 10-20 minutes away, and it is still for sale to the first person that shows with the cash. Seems obvious enough right? - but I have to say it because I had some guy show up late to buy my neighbors boat (which he had sold already), then waited at my shop for him for a half hour/hour to "kick his ass" and kept asking where he lived until I threatened to call the cops.

/rant

yes, I get sick of all the BS

8. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

"why should I bid against myself" is my answer to "what is your bottom dollar?"

9. VonKool13

VonKool13

When I'm buying something I always lowball because it doesn't hurt to ask. If it does so what, you can always find another one. It's not like we are building Deusenbergs. Take the low ballers with a grain of salt and move on, or don't doesn't matter either way because you will be the one stuck with whatever you are trying to sell.

10. adamshumard

adamshumard

When I bought my 53 I went and looked at it and told them I had to think about it. I later called and made an offer. I told them I meant no disrespect but the offer I made was what I was willing to give. If they would take it I would buy it. If not I understood. A week later I got a call and told they would take my offer.

To me even a low offer done with respect is ok. I've had folks do that to me and sold some stuff. Other stuff I said im sorry but I just can't let it go for that. Never made me mad. Its all about respect.

11. 32Auburn

32Auburn
    from Oregon

Low balling is already disrespectful to begin with, by that I'm thinking less than half of asking price. It shows you to be a wannabe little baby trying to play with the big boys. Go ahead and lowball and you'll get exactly the same amount of respect back. No it doesn't hurt me but it makes you look like a low life, if you don't have the money go home until you do. Of course there's the other side when people ask ridiculous prices then all bets are off.

12. big creep

big creep

funny i had a desoto grill for sale here, and all i got was low ball offers and a lot of them. i finally got asking price. i didnt get mad at the lowball offers, just something that comes with trying to sell something anywhere. times are tough, and its a buyers market right now!

13. I agree. I have sold stuff at swap meets and online, you are always going to get some half-jack who is gonna try and lowball ya. Don't get your panties in a wad and just tell em to get stuffed and move on to the next buyer who brings a reasonable offer to the table.

14. nexxussian

nexxussian

Low balling tire kickers?

Yes, the ones I meet invariably don't have the money they "offer" in the first place.

If they are willing to pay the asking price, I'll take a check, with them, to the financial institution their checking account is with, and they get whatever it is I'm selling when the cash is visible, in my hand.

If you are going to make an offer, have cash, not a check, credit card, debit card, IOU, food stamps, arts OR crafts.

I have a simple payment plan, one, up front!

I don't mind haggling, but if I put a price on something, I price it as fair as I can, if someone offers me something like half (or less) of what I'm asking, they're wasting my time (see statement about people making offers with no money).

Sometimes I think they were just lonely, looking for someone to talk to, if you are interested in what I have for sale, stick fairly close to the subject at hand.

If I'm trying to sell something, I will do what I can to come together with the purchaser, I'll "ask for the sale" (ie,how far apart on the price are we? if they haven't made an offer yet) because I'm actively trying to sell it, or I wouldn't have it listed.

So yeah, it does upset me when someone is a "lowballing tire kicker" because the ones I meet, either won't, or can't buy, regardless of price, and I've got better things to do than listen to their crap.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  15. crackernutz

crackernutz
    from tx

you guys are some grumpy angry sum of a bitches the guy who posted the link? what the fuck is your point? it's straight up direspectful to low ball someone with they are way off the price you are asking. Also had the same guy insult the fuck out of my car, you know what fuk him:D

16. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

In this economy, it's the nature of the beast. When I get a low ball offer, I just thank them and say no.

17. Fordtudor37

Fordtudor37

I've had MANY, MANY people ask me for pictures of my '32 3W for sale.

So far two people have actually come to look at the car -
    One guy came by and blew hot air then offered me $16000 so I politely told him to get the fu_k out of my yard, the second guy came by and "looked" at my car.
    Two days later we had him arrested for breaking into my garage, as he already had my welder, welder carraige and two floor jacks in his truck !

Now it's all the pictures you want, and NO ONE to my garage until I feel comfortable that your a buyer.

18. Thats spot on, even tho alot of people probably have no clue what you said.

19. Larry T

Larry T

A simple but firm "no" usually stops any low ball conversations before they start with the least amount of hassles.

If I'm trying to sell something I usually pad the price but not much. Some folks just have to talk you down or they won't buy. I'll agree that if I tell someone what my lowest price is and they make a lower offer (happens quite a bit), it usually ends the negotiations.

The "Would you take ???" are the worst. If it's something I might consider I usually just tell them "I don't know, no one has offered it yet."
    Larry T

20. bopwop is right, he has been in the car sales business for a while as I have. When I get a low offer on something I tell the person " this isn't an auction, thats why I put the price on the window". Like he said " why bid against yourself ". If you don't have the patience to deal with the public you should consign it with a classic dealer in your area.

21. cool37

cool37
    from SoCal

its part of the game...and the economy. what do they have to loose? ..the buyer sets the price nowadays. If you were buying..i'm sure you would do the same.

22. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

If you are going to sell stuff to the public you need to accept that there will be people who use up your time and don't buy, promise to show up and don't, check out your stuff just for the entertainment value, make ridiculously low offers, tell you everything they don't like about what you are selling, want to pay you with a personal check, etc, etc. Those things don't always happen, but they happen a lot.

I just sold some things to a friend. I sold to him for less than I could have gotten. But, I probably avoided at least some aggravation, and I didn't have a bunch of people I don't know eyeballing what I have.

23. TexasT

TexasT
    from Texas

I like the easy payment plan above. I will use that.

When asked for bottom dollar , the reply is "what's the most you'll give?". You already have my opening price. It's your turn.

As far as it being a buyers market, or the buyer setting the price goes, it does take a buyer and a seller to agree on a price for a sale to take place. Worth comes when they agree. Any other price is just opinion.

I think the hoarder threads are funny. If you want some stuff go collect your own. I rarely sell stuff because it is just too much trouble and I don't want people to know what I have stashed. The post above confirms there are some real dirt bags out there. I don't even like my children's friends out in my garage or storage building.

24. Kerry67

Kerry67

I agree it gets old. People expect everything to be flawless. I have an old 1960's guitar on C-list for $275 and a guy texted me that he would give me $100 for it. I told him "sure" and he replied "really???Where do you live". I then replied with "fuck off". That ended that one.....

25. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

see what it gets at barret jackson

26. CARtoons Magazine

CARtoons Magazine
    from Canada

Moral of the story, if your firm on your price, put "firm" in your listing. If someone still lowballs, then he is classified as an ass like you talk about on this thread. If you put "O.B.O./or best offer". Then expect those to lowball cause everyone is looking for a deal and who knows. After a little back and forth dealings, you might get very close to what you want unless again, your price is "firm".

27. squirrel

squirrel

I have a few projects I probably should sell, but I really don't want to deal with it....you guys aren't helping, either.

The last stuff I sold was a load of scrap a few days ago. Called the metal place, she quoted $210/ton. I hauled it up there and got unloaded, went to get my money, she paid $240. That's the kind of lowball offer I like

28. Jason455

Jason455

craigslist is the whos who of lowballers. I rarely list anything on there anymore. I do search for deals tho :)

29. jipp

jipp

ok what about the guy who gets X part/car whatever for pennies, then puts it up for sale with in a hour or whatever. and wants top $$$ then bitches about not getting it.. as far as im concern no one is a damn saint.
    cheers,
    chris.

30. S.F.

S.F.

its what happens when you sell a car. You can't get around it. better to just not let it get to you.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.