Register now to get rid of these ads!

SBC in Model A-Engine too low in chassis?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by F-6Garagerat, Sep 27, 2011.

1. SATANSSHO4

SATANSSHO4

you could leave what you have and replace the rubber biscuit with a 55 to 57 chevy type which would raise you to where you want to be thats what i did problem solved

2. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

looks low..you might have steering box clearance issues with the side of the block

3. If you do decide to raise it a little, why not just make your own copy of the Hurst mount
    with the added height built in. That way your frame mounts could stay the way they
    are instead of looking like "towers".

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  4. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

thanks, i'll look into that.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  5. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Hey those 55-57 Chevy rubber mounts and studs look like they might just get me where I wanna be. thanks for the tip.

6. A Boner

A Boner

If you want to raise the engine, you better check the bell housing/transmission, and driveshaft, verses the floor issue. Move it up for better fan placement, and you might be putting a big hump in your floor!

7. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

yeah, i was looking at that today. not sure if i want a floor hump or not.

8. titus

titus

It looks a little low to me, but i like putting motors in high.

you might run into lower hose/fan clearance issues too.

Alot of the hurst motor mounts ive had had the U shaped spaces that came with them, so it would raise the motor like an 1" or 1-1/4" which would help a little.

the other pic is of a friends 31 roadster, that has the u shaped spaces and also "jeep" or trans dapt motor mounts in it, they also made it so the mechanical fuel pumps would clear, we made the frame mounts out of some 2" wide 1/4" thick flatbar and bent them on my press now this roadsters is very low slung so we put the motor in a little higher yet again.

jeff

Attached Files:

• 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      411.2 KB
      Views:
    • 009.JPG
      009.JPG
      File size:
      467.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
    bchctybob likes this.
  9. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

thanks titus, that hurst mount pic explains a lot.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  10. trad27

trad27

How are the mounts upside down when I made the mounts to go that way? I purposly made it low to have a flat floor as I said in my post. Very cool truck keep us posted on how you did it.

11. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

12. If I am not mistaken the hurst mount makes it impossible to use a mechanical fuel pump. And Speedway motors makes a "hurst" style mount for $49.95. Hope this helps a little.

13. Because you copied a Chassis Engineering/Tardell style piece that is designed to go the other way:rolleyes: Everyone that knows these will look at yours and wonder why you welded them in upside down?

14. I think it's just about right. Here's mine when I mocked it up and then the finished product. The advantage of sitting lower is it will lower the center of gravity and handle a bit better. Mine goes in and out of corners very nice and I have a flat floor and I think it looks good the way it sits. I ran a mechanical fan with a shroud at first but have switched to 15 inch electric now.

Attached Files:

15. Niklas sweden

Niklas sweden

I haveint read it all but i thake two longer bolts on the crank and use a tube like 1"by1" and put that on the frame straight over to the ather frame rail and the bolts on the crank rest on that, then it will be right in my mind, you can puch the engine forward and back on the frame so you can get the right clerense for the radiator, a to low engine is mot good for the cooling, the fan comes to low for the radiator, there are raisers for the water pump to get it better, but build it haiger and you get the fan rigjt and the lower vater house right for the inlet on the radiator.
    So there are many good thing in a not to low engine.

Sorry bad english

16. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

That motors not too low the damn frame and body are too high!:rolleyes: Sorry couldn't resist guys.

17. 117harv

117harv

18. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

ELpolacko, thats some nice work man thanks for the pics. could you tell me where the crank centerline is in relation to the top-center of the front crossmember?

19. The crank center is level with the top of the frame rail.

20. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

the frame rail or the crossmember? crank center looks lower than frame rail in pic. hard to tell.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  21. The crank center is level with the top of the frame rail, just as I said.

This is a 32, but for instructional purposes it's the same difference. Pictures of the engine mocked up and before I built the mount.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nothing wrong with mounting it low. I kept this one as low as possible to minimize the transmission intrusion into the passenger compartment.

22. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Trad 27 has it right.
    Use the crank center as the Original A had it. Problem solved

23. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

thanks for all the pics ELpolacko.

24. pecker head

pecker head

Can a Vegas box be ran with these style mounts???

25. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Yes you can... **clic pic** engine 003.JPG

26. bchctybob

bchctybob

It looks pretty low to me. Sorta like Scrap Metal, I put the engine in the chassis with the pump and fan installed. Install the radiator. I use a stock fan, position it with one blade straight down then raise the engine until the tip of the bottom blade is even with the bottom of the radiator core - so the whole fan is facing the radiator. Make it about 3/4" back from the radiator core then I build mounts in a style to match the period I'm going for (usually late '50s to early '60s). My last SBC/Model A had Tardel style mounts that were 1" above the frame surface and custom engine mounts using early Ford biscuits. The hump in the floor was a whopping 1". You don't have side mounts so you only have one option and that's to make/modify the Hurst style front mount. El Polacko's is super nice.
    I don't remember what trans you are using but remember, if you're using a rear mount and an aluminum bellhousing you should make some kind of mid mount like '55-'57 Chevy's have to reduce stresses on the bellhousing.

scrap metal 48 likes this.