Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Any Hotrod musicians out there?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fomoco31, Oct 5, 2011.

1. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

No doubt about it. Eddie Van Halen agrees too.

2. elcajon64

elcajon64
    from Dixon, CA

I must have seen you a million times (every time you were in Sacramento the past 15 years). Cool.

I've been playing drums in San Diego, Hollywood and Sactown punk rock groups since I was a kid. I still play in a Classic Rock Cover band now that I'm old, fat and slow.

I also rebuild (and sell) and hot rod (not restore) old LP's, Explorers, and Flying V's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

4. rodl

rodl

I can't understand why you lefties beat yourselves up over which hand you play with! Which hand does the most work ? the one on the neck or the one on the near the bridge? I say the one on the neck. Being lefties and playing a right handed guitar should be a breeze because your left hand has done most things for you all your lives, therefore playing notes or chords should be 'easy as'. Unless you're playing finger style, the lower hand only strums or picks strings! My youngest son started having lessons when he was seven, the teacher didn't notice he was a lefty so he played a right handed guitar and did a great job. Then another teacher came along noticed he was a lefty, swapped all the strings around and f*cked him up completely, to the point where he lost all interest. 30 years later he picks up a guitar every now and again when he's at his olders brothers and plays right handed!!:) Do lefty pianists have a special piano - don't think so:rolleyes: Give a go - just might surprise yourselves!:D
    RodL

5. The Coroner 318

The Coroner 318

This is easily the best thread on this entire site. A good hot rod, custom, drag car, what have you, always has good music and a good story behind it. Me personally im into all kinds of rock, and i mean metal and so on. I belive that music as well as building cars is an art form, and a way of expressing who you are, its a way of life really. Ive got an 1982 gibson lespaul standard that my dad gave to me and no matter weather im playing though a marshall stack or though my 69 fender half stack with a marshall top cab it gives me the tone and punch i want. Through the range of different types of music as well, from metal to, punk, post hardcore, jazz, blues, progessive, etc. Like my '65 Coronet, it expresses me becuase i am making it the way that i want to be. OLD school!! hah.

6. homeslice

homeslice

right here. i'm a bassplayer with a few fenders, etc. looking for a gig.
    any gigs in austin??

7. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I was a bass player in the late 60's to mid 70's . Had a lot of fun too ! Had a Fender Jazz with a Uni-Vox Cabinet with 8 - 10" speakers . Made a lot of ground rumbling in my parents house too . We played rock & blues back then and I had a shit load of fun doing it too ! Then married my high school girl and went down hill from there ! Didn't like my music or my street racing with my very fast car ! :mad: That lasted about 5 years then divorced her . :) I did get married again and been that way for 28+ years now and she loves hotrods too ! I never got back into playing a bass again but I did have some fun with a guitar about 25 years ago someone gave me for a while . Now my fingers are way to stiff to play anything anymore .
    It was so damn much fun when I was a teen with my bass and my fast cars ! It was some of the best times of my life and wouldn't change one damn thing I did either ! Time is hell on you so enjoy it while you can !
    Play hard and play all you can !

Retro Jim

8. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

any drummers in san gabriel valley want to play? let me know!

9. Music and Hotrods...two different ways to scratch the same itch.:p
    I've played bass and done lead vocals seriously and not so seriously since 1970.
    These days its just a social thing with neighbours out here in the boonies.
    The weekly bourbon and blues klatch.:D
    I've had a lot of different rigs but my weapons of choice for the last few years are an American fretless Fender Jazz bass, and a Fender BXR 300 combo.

Anyone else have the obligatory tinnitus?:eek:

10. Speak up Jerry.... I cant hear you 'cos of the ringing in my ears.... :(

11. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

<iframe width="400" height="100" style="position: relative; display: block; width: 400px; height: 100px;" src="http://bandcamp.com/EmbeddedPlayer/v=2/track=758783933/size=venti/bgcol=260808/linkcol=eed7a0/" allowtransparency="true" frameborder="0">don't ask! by andy kohler</iframe>

<iframe width="400" height="100" style="position: relative; display: block; width: 400px; height: 100px;" src="http://bandcamp.com/EmbeddedPlayer/v=2/track=3729122237/size=venti/bgcol=000000/linkcol=1b76c0/" allowtransparency="true" frameborder="0">shadows by andy kohler</iframe>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  12. My49Plymouth

My49Plymouth

Do you know Seneca Black? He's a jazz trumpeter (ALJO, Max Weinberg Big Band etc.) who plays out of NYC but I think he has played in KC.

13. scarylarry

scarylarry

My old trusty P Bass from back in my almost famous hair band days, sitting next to my desk always ready for when I kid myself about playing again! Just no time...

[​IMG]

14. PapaJ

PapaJ

Hey guys,

I have been playing guitar for over 20 years now and I still play everyday.

In fact I get up and record new ideas each and every day - if you want to hear/see them click and follow below:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RiffADay

I then take those ideas and turn them into full length instrumentals. So if you are looking for some good music for your next video, just let me know. You can hear the full lengths here:

http://soundcloud.com/jodypeterson

For the gear hounds out there, I play the following
    • The $100 Strat - a cheap Squire I obtained from a student of mine - that for whatever reason, plays and sounds really good
    • The Black guitar - a 1968 Gibson Les Paul Custom, this is a Custom Shop VOS version, not the real thing
    • The White guitar - a 1985 Gibson Explorer loaded with EMG Het Set pickups, yes this is the real thing
    • The Acoustic - Ibanez AW100
    • The Amps - MESA/Boogie Mark III head and late 80s Marshall 4x12, and a Fender GDEC

ROCK ON... PapaJ

15. BillyM

BillyM

Well, it looks like there's lots of us out there (in here?).

My main axe is an old Ovation acoustic....my buddy and I have a little duo act called, "Sad Old Men", and we've pretty well cornered the "relationship gone bad genre'"...........hell, we can have a crowd in tears halfway through the first set!

16. homeslice

homeslice

awesome bass

17. estes

estes

I don't play much anymore, but I really dig building guitars from scratch. Here's the last one I built over the winter.
    [​IMG]

18. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

going out on the road playing bass with Tandoori Knights on Tuesday, will be playing our first show on the 13th at Norton's 25th Anniversary in Brooklyn, doing 21 dates Chicago, St Louis, Philly, Miami, Orlando, New Orleans and many more cities

19. M.Edell

M.Edell

Founder/Drummer/Manager of The RevTones

Attached Files:

20. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

21. ironheadtom

ironheadtom
    from So. Cal.

Playing the Jackson Dinky with our grandaughter hangin out but I love my '89 Ibanez 540 PII . 70's classic rock is my favorite to play but I like most styles of music. Currently I play in our church band and the wife sings. I'm not real good but I sure have a blast! (likin' the leg lamp in Bobleed's room, by the way. I used to have one of those)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  22. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I'll play.
    Only example I have is a few years ago when I got hold of a friend's Lindy Fralin Strat: http://youtu.be/VoU08Ms33O8
    Great guitar, it deserved a better player than myself :D

23. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

No shit!! Kickass, Nads!:cool: Coming anywhere near WNY?

24. 62dartman

62dartman

I play bass in a punk band (though rarely these days) called Dysfunctional Youth. Had alot of fun up and down the East Coast with these guys over the years (20 or so).

25. 62dartman

62dartman

26. Swede64

Swede64

27. Here's a shot of my main axe. Its an old Gibson Melody Maker that I put a P-94 and a bunch of other upgrades into. For a little old guitar it puts up with a lot of torture and my back up guitar has never left the case at a show. As for amps I use a Mesa Boogie 50 watt solo head and Orange Cab (not in picture) and a vintage Vox AC 30 combo. IMHO nothing beats dirty P-90s through 30 and 50 watt amps.

Attached Files:

28. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Collings I 35, Taylor Grand Concert and Alhambra Nylon. None played terrible well but I enjoy frustrating the hell out of myself.

29. Guitars are like crack....you always need another fix.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. TJratz

TJratz

I play a 2001 strata and a 76 strat. My rig consists of an overdrive.pedal wah and a hot rod deluxe amp.