Register now to get rid of these ads!

Does Anybody Make This Transmission Adapter Out Of Steel (CNC or Laser Cut)?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scotch Buzzard King, Oct 7, 2011.

1. I need this adapter, but I don't really think the price is right for me. I was curious if anybody here makes one like this out of steel. CNC, laser cut, or however you personally make it I would like to know.

Attached Files:

2. That looks like a Chevy transmission to a '49-64 Ford engine adapter #5204 going for ~ $375 from Offy. And it looks like aluminum to me.

It could be reverse-engineered depending on what someone's time was worth and figure 3X the machining time making it from steel. To beat the Offy price, someone would be working for almost nothing with all the effort totaled up.

I've made more complicated parts for the thrill of it and of course beer is universal currency, good luck!

Bob

3. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Gotta pay to play. It would cost more to make from steel with no strength advantage, so I doubt you find one unless homemade.

You could make your own if you have the means to make that center register concentric. None of the mounting holes need to be terribly precise once that's done.

4. I just can't believe the damn thing cost so much. I didn't even give that for the bellhousing and transmission combined. Pay to play my ass. Its more like pay or get pimped slapped. :eek: Not much else I can do I guess.

5. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Steel is stronger and stiffer than aluminum, but it spounds like you are wanting steel with the idea that would be cheaper. The cost for the material is not the major factor in the part's cost. Steel is harder to machine than aluminum, so all things being equal the effort for machining from steel would be somewhat higher than for machining aluminum.

Because of how the part needs to be made, it is not a good candidate for laser cutting. The part in the pic you posted appears to be a casting, but it could be made from a solid chunk of aluminum.

The perception of value can vary a lot depending on whether one is buying or selling. I think the price for Offenhauser parts is on the high side, but I know at least some of their stuff is closer to custom made rather than being manufactured in volume.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  6. I don't even think the damn thing is made from aircraft aluminum. I think its made like the way they use to make the magnesium adapters. All I keep hearing in my head is the Mickey Mouse song every time I look at it. I mean $300 dollars is a lot of money these days just to blow it on some chicken wire and bubble gum. I'm really conflicted here. I figured someone had to have made something that worked well for the same purpose, didn't cost an arm and a leg, and didn't cause a song to play in one's head that spells out, "M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E."

7. alchemy

alchemy

You sure sound like you think it's easy to pound out parts like this. If you have to pay somebody to do it, you may as well buy it from Offy. If you can make friends with one of these guys here who can mill it for you, great. But don't belittle the effort it takes to make exacting parts.

If it's so easy, go get your drill and scroll saw and have at it.

8. Mike Rotch

Mike Rotch
    from Easley SC

For a little more money a person could buy an old mill off of Crapslist and never have to pay for such things.

9. I knew I would get guys like you. I don't have to defend my statement. It's just my opinion. Go take a chill pill.

10. Trust me my friend, I've been looking for a while. :D

11. Noland

Noland

300 dollars isnt that much money these days.I guess maybe stuffs cheaper in texas

12. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

It comes down to what you said. Either you buy what's available or you make one. People complain about the cost of postage stamps, but it's still cheaper than delivering things yourself. When you think about it that way stamps are a bargain. I worked for a car guy who liked to say, "never make what you can buy". I can think of some exceptions, but it's a good general rule. That said, if this part is as cheesy as I suspect it is, I would get a chunk of aluminum and spend some quality time quality time on the lathe and mill making one. Of course my time isn't worth much, so that makes a difference.

13. Try Speedway.

14. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Gee! Maybe that's why I have 2 mills and 2 lathes in my garage. But even if you had the basic blank cut out however there is still several hours of machining time there on manual tools. Ya want a shock price that at a regluar machinist job shop, if you can even get one to talk to you. I did a little job yesterday ,made some custom piston pin bushings for a hot Model A. Material bearing brass $24 my time for a 1.5 hours $26 and that is for a friend deal. But there is $30-40 K worth of machines and tooling here,and only one was new.

15. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

all you need is a $2000 mill and a $110 piece of aluminum and several hours and you could make the part

or wait till one comes up used and buy it for $160, which is what I did

16. 6inarow

6inarow

I wish I had said that.

17. I have a mill and a couple lathes....I could buy that for less than I could make it for If you count my time as part of the equation.

that being said, I just spent 2 hours making motor mounts I can buy for 60 bucks.....

I say make it! Making things is fun.

18. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

If I remember[always an issue]some lakewood style bellhousings came drilled for both the chevy tranny and the ford trans.the thickness of the adapter is a result of using fairly weak cast aluminum.I have seen a stock early chev cast iron bell bolted to the ford trans by drilling for the top two holes to the ford pattern and bolting a piece of angle to the surface that the access cover sat for the bottom two[clear as mud??]was in mid sixtys rod & custom mag but it was before woodstock so its a little fuzzy

19. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

look at that piece closely, the raised ring that locates it is gonna be the trick. It's not going to be easy to make. And I bet the first one won't be right. Probably the third or so before you get it right. You can do the basic shape with laser or water jet. But that ring is going to be a different story. $300 doesn't sound bad from here...

20. Shit and that's being easy on the costs of things.....

21. I think if $300 is holding you back from your dream than your in the wrong hobby. Hell, I spent that much on getting a few parts chromed this week.

22. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Does the Scotch part of your handle mean you are Scottish ? If so you guys really are cheap aren't you ? :D

23. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

taking care of the difference between the dia. of the throwout collar and the hole in the bellhousing is the first thing to do since it centers the whole deal-if its too big,have it turned down=already too small?-make a spacer ring.as eve said to adam,dont make harder than it needs to be

24. Ford Guy

Ford Guy

I just received a two-piece adapter from Flathead Jack. That plate was one part that adapts my T-10 (Ford) to my flathead. There is a mini-bellhousing that bolts to the block bellhousing also. Total price was about $450. Don't know if the plate is sold separately, but you might check.

25. Look, most of you are missing the point. I've said it about three times now. I know SOMEBODY here has made something in their garage without $40K tools that worked. Have none of you seen the thread? Have none of you seen a thread for something similar? I've got time. I've got patience. What I don't have is money. Blew it all on the Flathead. Shit yall, if I've got to buy the damn thing, I've got to buy the damn thing. No way around it.

I asked a question on another thread as to whether or not anybody made their own 32 Ford frame rails. After seeing the thread, I figured I'd just buy the stamped rails. The whole point of this thread was for you guys to point me to the threads where people made their own, spoke here about making their own, or just telling me I'm fucking crazy. So far too many of the last one and none of the first two. Humor me. Threads. Put up or shut up.

26. Ford Guy

Ford Guy

Flathead Jack has it for $225. Speedway has it for $275. Take your pick.

27. That can be made on a mill with a rotary table pretty easy. Doesn't need to be shaped quite like that, that is a casting to save material.
    I think the high price reflects a very low demand for the part.

28. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I just made a template for my Stude bellhousing to use my 4 spd Saginaw. It cost me about 2 hrs time so far. The real one will cost me a chunk if aluminum, a 6 pack for my mill owner and an afternoon with my retired toolmaker dad.
    Bottom line; get a tape measure, some wood, a saw, and some courage. Make a template. Find someone with a mill (a drill press would work) and make one out of metal.

29. Roupe

Roupe

If you have a friend with some time, a bandsaw, lathe and some transfer punches your on your way. Go to a scrapyard for some cheap material. I would use aluminum, it will machine easier. Make a template like Flatheadpete said, bandsaw it out. Spin it on the lathe to make the center bore and raised locating ring. Then use the transfer punches to mark the holes on the trans and bellhousing. Drill and tap as needed. The only real critial part is the locating center bore and raised ring. I made one for my flathead to T-5 5 speed and it works great. Like I said if you have a friend with a lathe and some time go for it. Making you own parts is what hot rodding is all about and sometimes you will save money in the process. If you can help and learn as you go you will increase your skill level. Most people can't own every peice of equipment but trading servives and skills between hot rodders is always helpful.

30. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Rotary table on a mill; faster and easier on a lathe; or, a CNC mill could easily do it.